Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #61
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes it is different. Using the power switch turns off all the buttons and the display except for the power switch. And it does use battery while it sits idle. When you flip the power switch, it comes on quickly.

When you use the menu item to shut down, it actually shuts down. So say if you were not planning on using the reader for a few days, you could turn it off and save battery. Also when you turn the 505 back on, it takes a few min to boot.
Thanks JS. I did not know that. That probably explains why I wasn't getting the battery life I expected from it.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #62
kangaroo
kangaroo began at the beginning.

Device: NA
Question Night Reading?

Can the 505 be used in the dark? If not, what is the minimum amount of light required? Thanks.
kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo View Post
Can the 505 be used in the dark? If not, what is the minimum amount of light required? Thanks.
Not sure of the minimum light needed. But a booklight will work. There are threads on booklights for use with the 500 with pictures.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #64
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
The 505 has no built in lighting, but it's readable with less light than the 500. How much is enough would depend a lot on your eyesight and preferences, but I agree that the booklights that JSWolf suggested would be a good starting place.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 AM   #65
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Just a tad more than reading paper.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #66
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Just a tad more than reading paper.
Here I was thinking in terms of the difficulty in trying to quantify the answer, and you go give an unquantified one that actually answers the question.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #67
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, they don't call it eink or digital paper for nothing!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Here I was thinking in terms of the difficulty in trying to quantify the answer, and you go give an unquantified one that actually answers the question.
It's not at all difficult to answer the question quantitively. The questioner was asking about light "brightness". This is technically called Illuminance and, in the S.I. system, is measured in lux, or lumens per square metre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #69
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
I'll jump in with my impressions (I hope Bob doesn't mind). I'm a new Sony PRS user and just received my 505 a week ago. I do love it, but there are some annoyances:
  1. The NEXT PAGE button needs to be bigger and easier to find without looking. This is so obvious I can't believe it hasn't been implemented (ergonomics 101). Even a braille 'bump' on the NEXT button would be better.
  2. The Menus are horribly slow. I can handle the page turn speed, but waiting three to four seconds for the menu to respond is really bad. The keys (0-9 in particularly) often don't provide a positive tactile feedback and you end up pressing them a couple times to be sure only to have it jump to who knows where when it finally does respond. This is the one problem that I view as inexcusable - c'mon Sony.
  3. The eConnect Store interface is feeble especially when you are trying to download your 100 free classics. There is no concept of a shopping cart or making multiple selections. It's purely one at a time - painful. You would think that they are trying to make it hard to get your free books...... (c8
The rest is all positive and Bob has already done a great job in his review.

Best regards,
PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #70
kangaroo
kangaroo began at the beginning.

Device: NA
Well, I must say I’m disappointed by the need for an external light source since I prefer to read at night, in bed, without ambient lighting. For me, native lighting, however it’s executed, should be a CORE feature of an electronic product that attempts to replace a conventional book. In addition (and unfortunately), the external flex light Sony offers is dependent on coin style batteries as opposed to an on board power point.

For years, I’ve been struggling with every type of reading light/gizmo available and in one way or another they all have come up short. The idea of an ergonomically correct, electronic reader capable of point size changes and adequate back lighting is what I have been hoping for and probably won’t exist unless and until a company like Apple produces it.

Thanks for the feedback.
kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #71
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Well, I must say I’m disappointed by the need for an external light source since I prefer to read at night, in bed, without ambient lighting. For me, native lighting, however it’s executed, should be a CORE feature of an electronic product that attempts to replace a conventional book. In addition (and unfortunately), the external flex light Sony offers is dependent on coin style batteries as opposed to an on board power point.

For years, I’ve been struggling with every type of reading light/gizmo available and in one way or another they all have come up short. The idea of an ergonomically correct, electronic reader capable of point size changes and adequate back lighting is what I have been hoping for and probably won’t exist unless and until a company like Apple produces it.

Thanks for the feedback.
We'd all like to see what Apple comes up with if ever. For now the most promising prototype of lighted eink was this. I have absolutely no idea where this has gone to. Even the button layout is appealing, especially if the display can be inverted from top to bottom.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #72
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHugger View Post
[*]The eConnect Store interface is feeble especially when you are trying to download your 100 free classics. There is no concept of a shopping cart or making multiple selections. It's purely one at a time - painful. You would think that they are trying to make it hard to get your free books...... (c8[/LIST]
Not having a shopping cart was the biggest pain I've ever experienced with any online software. If they're going to offer the same 100 classic books to everyone for free, why not just have a package to download? Am I to assume that after I downloaded the 100 classics that they had listed on their website was just a sample of the classics I could download for free and that I could have downloaded ANY classic they had online for free?

I ended up getting 99 free books downloaded because of all the problems I had trying to download all the books mainly because they didn't have a shopping cart. I think I purchased a few of the same books a couple times by mistake. It was just a mess. I also ended up purchasing one book for $1.99 that I didn't mean to buy too. Oh man, what a mess and so very time consuming.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #73
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Nice first post PHugger!

I never had a problem finding the next page button, but that's a good observation. The feedback would help a lot (even if on the screen rather than the button click).

I thought there was a shopping cart, but I could be wrong. The store is definitely a work in progress, especially for browsing. But if you know what books you are looking for, I've found it to be pretty convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHugger View Post
I'll jump in with my impressions (I hope Bob doesn't mind). I'm a new Sony PRS user and just received my 505 a week ago. I do love it, but there are some annoyances...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #74
NatCh
Gizmologist

There is definitely a shopping cart when you're finding books (I was just now looking at it ) -- what is sorely lacking, however, and may be what PHugger is referring to is there isn't any way to download more than one book at a time, except possibly you may be able to download all the books you've just purchased, I don't remember for sure.

Some sort of "select books to download" function is a big ol' smelly hole in the ConnStore's feature set.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
This is not a fault of the 500/505/Gen3/v3/iLiad/STAReBOOK/NUUT. It's the way eink is. eink does not allow light to pass through so there is no way to have back lighting. So as of this moment, there are no commercially available eink readers that are lit. You'll need an external light source of your choosing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote