Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
Windows 10 and Edge Browser

Just upgraded to Windows 10, 64 bit. The good news is that Calibre runs fine.
I also run Calibre server and require authentication. The new web browser in Windows 10, Edge, will not authenticate to a site that uses basic authentication.
This is not a big problem for me as I can just use IE, Firefox or Chrome but though you might be interested in this limitation. Is there any way to configure Calibre with another authentication system.
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre uses digest authentication, not basic.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd be very surprised if Edge did not support either basic or digest auth. There was an issue with it not support basic auth in some of the preview builds, but that was fixed.

But, if you need to run a different auth scheme your only solution is to run the calibre server behind a reverse proxy and use whatever auth scheme you like in the reverse proxy.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
I expect that my understanding of the problem may be flawed.

However, the fact remains that I cannot use edge to open the Calibre server on localhost. It acts as though I've typed the incorrect Username/Password. Every other browser works fine.

Thanks
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC Edge does not allow connections to localhost by default, you have to toggle a setting somewhere.
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I tried this and it doesn't work for me either. I can sign in to my local calibre server via Chrome, but not Edge.

I did some testing using a recording proxy and I see that although Edge prompts for your user name and password it is not sending that information in an Authorization header in its HTTP request to the server. It's an Edge bug.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Does it work if you try to sign in to a server running on another machine with Edge?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Does it work if you try to sign in to a server running on another machine with Edge?
Yes
Test server on XP.
You can not use a simple: 192.168.0.16:8082

or it tries to sell you an App (get app for this)
you must use: http://192.168.0.16:8082
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the Edge browser type "About:flags" No Quotes. and Tick/Untick the "allow Localhost Loopback"
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
IIRC Edge does not allow connections to localhost by default, you have to toggle a setting somewhere.
I don't have any problem accessing localhost from Edge. I checked the about:flags page in Edge and "Allow localhost loopback" was enabled by default on my system, upgraded from Windows 8.1.

Quote:
I tried accessing both a local calibre server and a remote authentication test page (http://test.webdav.org/auth-digest). With either Chrome or Edge I found the digest authentication worked as expected for the remote authentication test page. But the local calibre server worked only with Chrome. Edge did not emit an Authorization header to the calibre server. Perhaps Edge does not allow authentication on a local server or perhaps there is some incompatibility between it and the calibre server.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'd guess that when Microsoft fixed Edge connecting to localhost, they forgot to enable http authentication for localhost. Hopefully, that is just an oversight and not a policy.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Interesting functionality difference

On W7 i could enter 192.168.0.16:8083 and connect to the server on the same PC.

On W10, that does not work, but localhost:8083 does
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
quoddle
Enthusiast
quoddle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
I've just upgraded to W10 and now find that the calibre server is not accessible either on my pc or a remote one via my IP addressort as previously.
I can access the server via localhostort which confirms the server is running ok but it's the remote access I need. Is there a W10 setting I need to change?
quoddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Check your firewall -- maybe the upgrade changed your settings?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #15
quoddle
Enthusiast
quoddle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
I only use a firewall on my router not the PC and that still has my Calibre port set for port forwarding.
With W7 I used Microsoft Security Essentials but that seems to have disappeared now. I've tried turning off real time protection in Windows Defender but it makes no difference.
quoddle is offline   Reply With Quote