Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #46
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Added to the list of potential buyers are rebuyers. There are a number of printed books that I already own that I'd be interested in buying once again as an ebook just for the convenience.

Rather trying to do a mass conversion of ebooks, what might work better is to allow readers to indicate (via customer feedback) the books they'd like to see released as ebooks. That way, they will know that there is already interest in a particular title, or all of the works of a specific author. If a publisher receives hundreds of requests for a specific book, that is a good indicator that the ebook would sell.

Not a bad idea, sort of on demand ebook publishing...no matter how you look at it publishers finding some way of putting at least some of their back catalogue of books into ebook format is a win-win situation.

I think most publishers are just so focused on combating the rise of a new market force that they are short sighting themselves out of the running. All of us here are huge readers and that is due, at least in part, to how easy ebook readers make it to access and acquire new and interesting books. Publishers do themselves a disservice by not allowing greater access. I am sure a part of it has to do with the current rights to publish books in "electronic and other formats" a lot of the back catalogue is probably not accessible without changes to or redrawings of currently held copyrights, but isn't it worth it to at least look at some of those older books to see what can be done with minimal effort?
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #47
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Sadly, none of Roger Zelazny's works appear in e-book form.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 01:42 AM   #48
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yeah, that is bizarre. An Amber bundle is a natural.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #49
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post

Not a bad idea, sort of on demand ebook publishing...no matter how you look at it publishers finding some way of putting at least some of their back catalogue of books into ebook format is a win-win situation.

I think most publishers are just so focused on combating the rise of a new market force that they are short sighting themselves out of the running. All of us here are huge readers and that is due, at least in part, to how easy ebook readers make it to access and acquire new and interesting books. Publishers do themselves a disservice by not allowing greater access. I am sure a part of it has to do with the current rights to publish books in "electronic and other formats" a lot of the back catalogue is probably not accessible without changes to or redrawings of currently held copyrights, but isn't it worth it to at least look at some of those older books to see what can be done with minimal effort?
I agree that not releasing ebook versions of wanted books works to the disadvantage to both the authors and the publishers. Simply put, an out-of-print book that is not released in any form earns no money for anyone.

As far as holding back the ebook market, I think it is very unlikely. One factor working against it: there are already a massive number of ebook-capable devices currently in use (besides dedicated ebook readers, there are PDAs, computers, and some cell phones).

What I think is likely to happen is that as ebooks become more common, many readers will gravitate to ebook versions of books. If a particular book that the reader wants is not available as an ebook, he/she might just find another book that is available as an ebook.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #50
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
Sadly, none of Roger Zelazny's works appear in e-book form.
There's a team-up I haven't read though, actually :-

http://www.webscription.net/p-34-the-black-throne.aspx
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #51
perversity
Enthusiast
perversity began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'd like to see Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles available in epub. Seems like anything with vampires should be re-released to try to capitalize on the whole Twilight thing.
I do believe that publishers are intentionally dragging their feet, trying to slow the conversion of media format.
perversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by perversity View Post
I'd like to see Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles available in epub.
Or even Mobipocket - it seems that the early novels in the series aren't available as legitimate ebooks anywhere.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #53
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
When I first got my Ebook Reader in Sept. I looked for Margaret Atwoods The Handmaid's Tale and couldn't find it but now it is available at Amazon and others I presume.

Most Of what I want and can't find are slightly older books by:

Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany
and other Delany
John Irving
Cormac McCarthy
Stephen R Donaldson -- Thomas Covenant books

as mentioned above the Amber books and other Zelazny

various short story collections by individual and topical (Year's Best kind of things)

and Poetry books

Last edited by kennyc; 01-02-2010 at 01:42 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:16 AM   #54
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
After just watching a couple of my favourite childhood Movies, Namely Born Free and Forever Free I realised that I'd never read the actual book those are based on.

Looking online I've been unable to find any of Joy Adamson's Books in ebook format, namely

* Born Free: A lioness of two worlds (1960) [2] ISBN 1-56849-551-X
* Elsa: The Story of a Lioness (1961)
* Living Free: The story of Elsa and her cubs (1961) ISBN 0-00-637588-X
* Forever Free: Elsa's Pride (1962) ISBN 0-00-632885-7
* The Spotted Sphinx (1969) ISBN 0-15-184795-9
* Pippa: The Cheetah and her Cubs (1970) ISBN 0-15-262125-3
* Joy Adamson's Africa (1972) ISBN 0-15-146480-4
* Pippa's Challenge (1972) ISBN 0-15-171980-2
* Peoples of Kenya (1975) ISBN 0-15-171681-1
* The Searching Spirit: An Autobiography (1978) ISBN 0-00-216035-8
* Queen of Shaba: The Story of an African Leopard (1980) ISBN 0-00-272617-3
* Friends from the Forest (1980) ISBN 0-15-133645-8

(From Wikipedia)

I'll really like to read them, however I'm not keen to get Paper versions even If I were able to get them where I currently am locally.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #55
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Not enough of Elizabeth Hand's books, either.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #56
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
The Plague Dogs by Watership Down
Ray Bradbury
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #57
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
The Plague Dogs by Watership Down
Ray Bradbury
I just bought Catcher in paperback because it's not ebook available.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #58
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Books that isn't available:

All Stieg Trenter's novels ( I think they will be this time next year, though.)
Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom novels ( swallowed up in the shift to agency pricing)
Sweet Temptation by Maya Banks ( swallowed up in the shift to agency pricing. I think)

Oh. JA Konrath's Jack Daniels novels. The latest is but not the previous ones. sigh. ( I'll get his other stuff from Smashwords while I wait)
There are probably a bunch more that I am forgetting
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #59
rifraf
rifraf began at the beginning.

Device: none, using Calibre for now
A long time SF title: Citizen of the Galaxy by Heilein. Anyone know if his estate is teh holdup or publishers just not interested in putting out his titles as Ebooks?
rifraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:59 AM   #60
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Some of his books are available here. http://www.webscription.net/s-59-robert-a-heinlein.aspx
Not the one you want though.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote