Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #61
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So it is indeed a roaming charge, in that case.
Then, theoretically, this should be possible for the "old US units" as well?
Just adding providers via Firmware upgrade. And then switching from the hardcoded US net to any other?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 AM   #62
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
[...] and I'm stunned at the figures Amazon are quoting for Kindle editions versus dead tree versions.[...]
Where are those figures?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #63
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You can't throw it away. You buy via your computer, but you can only download via WiFi or data plan to your Iphone/Ipod touch. So it must be in working order.
Ok, so I'll download it to the iphone/ipod and then get it to my PC...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #64
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Then, theoretically, this should be possible for the "old US units" as well?
Just adding providers via Firmware upgrade. And then switching from the hardcoded US net to any other?
That won't be possible, its not a case of updating the software because cdma and gsm networks use totally incompatible hardware for the radio.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #65
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
The info for UK customers says this

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions

I read the conditions to say that if I buy a book while in the UK it is wirelessly delivered free. If I go on holiday to Spain and have a book delivered wirelessly it costs $1.99 extra as a roaming charge.

General. Amazon provides wireless connectivity free of charge to you for certain content shopping and downloading services on your Device. You may be charged a fee for wireless connectivity for your use of other wireless services on your Device, such as Web browsing and downloading of personal files, should you elect to use those services. We will maintain a list of current fees for such services in the Kindle Store. Amazon reserves the right to discontinue wireless connectivity at any time or to otherwise change the terms for wireless connectivity at any time, including, but not limited to (a) limiting the number and size of data files that may be transferred using wireless connectivity and (b) changing the amount and terms applicable for wireless connectivity charges.

Coverage and Service Interruptions. You acknowledge that if your Device is located in any area without applicable wireless connectivity, you may not be able to use some or all elements of the wireless services. We are not responsible for the unavailability of wireless service or any interruptions of wireless connectivity.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 06:03 AM   #66
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
That won't be possible, its not a case of updating the software because cdma and gsm networks use totally incompatible hardware for the radio.
Oh my....So this means, the US Kindle only is working in about 20% of the world? Then the idea of Whispernet and being wireless seems kind of obsolete, doesn't it?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #67
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
From the Amazon Kindle order page:

"Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are $9.99, unless marked otherwise. When traveling abroad, you can download books wirelessly from the Kindle Store or your Archived Items for a fee of $1.99"

Wow, a full 20% international surcharge added to Amazon's $9.99 bestsellers seems outrageous, don't you think???
Well hang on a second, if I buy a Kindle and have it shipped to here in Australia where I live, I should according to that statement not pay a $1.99 surcharge to download the book as I am not travelling abroad, I am merely using the device in my country of residence. If I travel abroad to another country then yes, I agree that I should pay, but not when I am sitting at home and not travelling abroad. Perhaps they should state that OUTSIDE of the USA you pay $1.99 to download a book.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:09 AM   #68
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
CDMA! That's the one... I wanted to post something exactly like this, but couldn't find the other network type name...

I know from this type because there is a samsung (at least I thought it was samsung) telephone using an e-ink screen, but it only supports CDMA...

mgmueller, it might be that the US-only device will be phased out. As the international one has US+international whispernet...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:13 AM   #69
andothfc
andothfc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've ordered one of these this morning (have to sell my 505 now) but I would like to know the answer to these questions:

Is there going to be a iPhone app similar to the sync-capable US one?
Is the $1.99 surcharge only applicable if I download books outside of the UK, or is it for all books downloaded outside of the US?
How limiting is the geographical lockdown on titles going to be? If the 70,000 we can't get here in the UK includes all the ones we're likely to want that would be very poor.

Also worth noting that shipping and import taxes add $60 to the cost here in the UK.
andothfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #70
Reader1
Reader1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I was glad to hear the latest news of the launch of Kindle International today. However when I look at the list of the countries that you ship Kindle to, I was flabbergasted that included countries like CONGO & RWANDA and yet missing out SINGAPORE!!

And we are actually listed together with SOMALIA, SUDAN, GAMBIA, etc. Amazon must seriously think that SINGAPORE is some third world countries that does not read English!! This is a terrible shame that SINGAPORE is left out in the list.....

Those who are from SINGAPORE should write to Amazon and ask them to check again the map and see where SINGAPORE is...
Reader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:24 AM   #71
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
WTH!!! Canadian customers are always chipped! Amazon.ca sucks, no kindle yet for us but sure, why not release it in Fiji and the Congo? Its like Canada doesn't exist to American companies! Zune was really really late. iPhone was really really late. Kindle is still really really late. Like the above too, I am losing all interest in wanting one.

Sony probably will get my money before long. 9-9
strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #72
scroll1
scroll1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
This is great news, I have placed a pre-order and stopped a friend of mine bringing a US model back to Australia.
As I read it the international models will not attract a 3G charge from your place of residence. I am just curious which provider they are using here in Australia. There coverage map looks like a Telstra map to me here in Brisbane.
scroll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #73
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeseraph View Post
WTH!!! Canadian customers are always chipped! Amazon.ca sucks, no kindle yet for us but sure, why not release it in Fiji and the Congo? Its like Canada doesn't exist to American companies!
Why would they want to sell a kindle to Eskimos* and polar bears

*Yes ... I know ... Not PC ... trying to make a point!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #74
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Oh my....So this means, the US Kindle only is working in about 20% of the world? Then the idea of Whispernet and being wireless seems kind of obsolete, doesn't it?
There aren't a lot of countries with a cdma network, but then again isn't it something like 75% of americans don't have a passport, so if amazon are getting a better deal from the other carrier (sprint is it?) compared with at&t then we should see sales of the usa-only kindle continue for some time.

As far as whispernet, amazon are bound to keep using that name regardless of who is supplying the network connectivity since they want the customer loyalty to be directed towards them rather than a particular carrier.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #75
jlick
jlick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jlick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jlick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jlick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jlick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I was very confused about the download fees, so I asked Amazon and got this reply:

Quote:
The $1.99 per title download fee does not apply to International customers. This fee only applies to U.S. customers traveling internationally. Also, if an international customer uses a Kindle International outside of his home county, he will NOT need to pay a download fee. This also applies to U.S. customer only.
So basically the way it will work is that you buy a Kindle International and register it to a particular country. If you register it in the US and travel outside the US you will pay an extra download fee. But if you register it in another country you don't pay any download fee either at home or abroad. However, it seems that books have an added $2 above US prices and less selection if your Kindle is registered outside the US, so you are essentially paying it anyways. Subscriptions are a bit higher but at least not $1.99 per day more.

My thoughts are that this is still a useful alternative to those with no US credit card to be able to participate in the ebook market. It beats paying almost $10 shipping to buy a physical book from amazon.com with 3-6 weeks international shipping. For me, I have a US credit card so I think I'll just stick to downloading on my computer for now and save the two bucks.

It also seems to be a bit strange that the international wireless surcharge is so high even in places where data plans are much cheaper than in the US. For example, I'm in Taiwan and pay about US$23 a month for unlimited 3G data plan without a voice plan (I pay per-usage for voice). That's compared to my friends in the US who typically pay at least $70 a month for data and voice.
jlick is offline   Reply With Quote