Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
MrCorporate
MrCorporate began at the beginning.

Device: none
What is up with Bookeen?

Long time and no word from our friends at Bookeen. What are they up to?
a) Nothing
b) They are working on a antoher new minor firmware bug fix/f***
c) The are working on a firmware upgrade with new functionality like folders or even epub support!
d) They are working on a new device and have forgotten everything about the grand G3

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-08-2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Edited out the "F" word - moderator (Don)
MrCorporate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Somewhere between b and c.

Based on their previous release dates and an email I got from them when I sent in some suggestions, I expect to see another firmware update sometime this year, possibly before the end of November, that will add several really useful features:

* Battery life on book pages
* Easily read while charging
* Goto Page... for library view
* Sort by Author option
** Folder display in library
** PDF reflow

I have no knowledge about when or if an update with ePub will be produced, but I'd be very surprised if (non-DRM) ePub wasn't high on their list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCorporate View Post
Long time and no word from our friends at Bookeen. What are they up to?
a) Nothing
b) They are working on a antoher new minor firmware bug fix/f***
c) The are working on a firmware upgrade with new functionality like folders or even epub support!
d) They are working on a new device and have forgotten everything about the grand G3
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Hmnnn...

That all looks rather good.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Somewhere between b and c.

Based on their previous release dates and an email I got from them when I sent in some suggestions, I expect to see another firmware update sometime this year, possibly before the end of November, that will add several really useful features:

* Battery life on book pages
* Easily read while charging
* Goto Page... for library view
* Sort by Author option
** Folder display in library
** PDF reflow

I have no knowledge about when or if an update with ePub will be produced, but I'd be very surprised if (non-DRM) ePub wasn't high on their list.
Ahhh! It's always refreshing to see such an optimistic person.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Ahhh! It's always refreshing to see such an optimistic person.
especially during these trying times ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Please share the email with us, this is exiting - but wtf "based on their prevoius relases"? What relases?
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:54 AM   #7
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
Please share the email with us, this is exiting - but wtf "based on their prevoius relases"? What relases?

They have released several updates for the firmware. Each after about 4 months after the other.

If they stay on this track you can expect a release at the end of this month. But they never promised fixed interval
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
I am aware that Bookeen has released several bug fixes, but to my memory no new functionality since the initial release (with the exception of the bottom left library SD icon now showing when the inserted SD card is in read only mode) ;-)
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:45 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
I am aware that Bookeen has released several bug fixes, but to my memory no new functionality since the initial release (with the exception of the bottom left library SD icon now showing when the inserted SD card is in read only mode) ;-)
There has been some new functionality - eg the addition of hyphenation support to MobiPocket files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There has been some new functionality - eg the addition of hyphenation support to MobiPocket files.
... and zooming options for PDFs, and more UI languages...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point - not being a PDF user myself, I always overlook the changes in that format. You're right - the "pan and scan" option for reading large-page-size PDFs is a significant new feature.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Which is not very useful at all and the old functionality was much better since it gave a much better look and much less disturbing big white spaces.

And the reduction in battery time is still annoying (and I can now not go back to the firmware that had good battery time since I got a new model). I run out of battery all the time and usually I notice it when I want to read. A battery meter always visible would be really helpful.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Which is not very useful at all and the old functionality was much better since it gave a much better look and much less disturbing big white spaces.
I find that in the majority of cases where hyphens are used (and it's not used very often) it improves things, but you're right; there are cases where it gets it wrong.

It would be nice if there was an option to enable or disable hyphenation.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I find that in the majority of cases where hyphens are used (and it's not used very often) it improves things, but you're right; there are cases where it gets it wrong.

It would be nice if there was an option to enable or disable hyphenation.
The problem is that it is not used enough and when they introduced hyphenation they removed the feature that a line could be "not justified" if the maximum space between words on the line became to big. So you get bad typography that disturbs your reading.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
In the mean time, while we're waiting for folder support. Has anyone found a way of dealing with large amounts of files?

First thing in the morning if I'm going abroad or on a long trip etc I'll connect up the Cybook and grab RSS feeds from BBC etc. However if I decide I want a break from the book I'm reading, and I'd like to read the news then it takes a fair amount of movement to get from page 3 to page 13.

The only thing that I found which helped was setting it to 20 books per page.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote