Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
hemendex
hemendex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3 Wifi
Kindle 3 after factory reset does not show books

My Kindle 3 does not show the books. Only two dictionaries. Did not help reset to factory settings.

In my downloading books from Calibre my Kindle has stopped working.
On the screen, leaving only two Oxford Dictionaries. Books I can not see while in the "documents" the computer sees. After rebooting, not show "welcome" screen, but again only dictionaries (I was send ebooks /*.mobi/ to the Kindle). It does not work or update (*.bin) (menu is gray), or sending books from Amazon account. Nor hard reset or factory setting or format disc (FAT 32). Can you help me?
(sorry, my english is bad)

Screenshots of my Kindle are here: www.hemendex.sk/kindle

Last edited by hemendex; 07-19-2012 at 09:53 AM.
hemendex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The Factory Reset should have fixed the Kindle. This makes me wonder if you have any hacks installed.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
hemendex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The Factory Reset should have fixed the Kindle. This makes me wonder if you have any hacks installed.
Just jailbreak. I know it is a risk ... My mistake, I admit.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Uninstall the jailbreak, then do the Factory Reset again. A Factory Reset will not uninstall hacks. You need to do it manually.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
hemendex

The problem is, that the hack can not be uninstalled, because the "Update Your Kindle" is always inactive (gray), while Kindle root to give the appropriate *.bin file.
I talked with Amazon help line and Amazon sent me a new Kindle said.
Jailbreak never more
Old 07-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard

Ah, well, at least you got a happy ending.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
rc6147
rc6147 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
It seems as the kindle does have a bug. The factory reset normally fixes the kindles and restores it to factory default. This tutorial makes it simple incase you may have missed a few steps.

http://www.ecgeek.com/how-to-reset-k...tory-settings/
rc6147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
This "factory reset" is certainly never done in "factory", won't fix anything related to a corrupted root file system and thus will only fix a (arguably very small) part of possible bugs. Well, and forgetting about or not admitting bugs the user introduced himself by doing something stupid (let's say, following advice from other helpful, but not knowledgeable people) is by far the most prominent reason for nasty bugs which tend to be *not* fixable by "factory reset".
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc6147 View Post
It seems as the kindle does have a bug. The factory reset normally fixes the kindles and restores it to factory default. This tutorial makes it simple incase you may have missed a few steps.

http://www.ecgeek.com/how-to-reset-k...tory-settings/
A Factory Reset will not "undo" a hack. It needs to be manually uninstalled.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
If your Kindle is really FUBAR, you might want to try this...

general method: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

K3-specific: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2142233

No guarantees though.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote