ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Sony Customer Service Is Really Disappointing

Maybe I'm wrong or stupid, but when the Sony Style website says:

Quote:
Buy a Reader Pocket Edition or Touch Edition and get $50 worth of eBooks
I believe I am entitled to this offer. Sony, however, does not. They tell me that because I didn't buy the reader directly from them or from their retail store, I do not qualify. I find it interesting that there is no indication that the offer is only extended to those that purchase on the Sony website or in Sony's store. Sony explains that it is "obvious" that this only applies to purchases on the website or in Sony's store.

Hogwash. I just bought the Reader Touch Edition (650) yesterday, but I guess I'll need to return it today. I can't support a company that misleads me like this.
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

If Best Buy has a special offer with the purchase of a product, do you take that to mean all other retailers should honor their offer? Certainly not. It is common practice for Sony and other manufacturers to offer special deals but only if you buy directly from them. Don't forget that if Sony sells a product directly, it sells for the same price as it would at a retailer, however Sony does not have to pay a retailer a commission, therefore they can afford to add in a freebie once in a while. If they have to pay a retailer a commission, then Sony's profit is not as high.
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
ifonline
Connoisseur

Quote:
If Best Buy has a special offer with the purchase of a product, do you take that to mean all other retailers should honor the offer?
Is this a serious question? Really?

If Sony's website (http://www.sony.com) had product information for the readers, and then linked to Sony Style for the purchase and offer, then I would understand their position. However, the only place to get information on Sony's reader is on Sony Style. Therefore, I don't consider Sony Style to be exclusively an online store. As a result, an offer displayed on their website doesn't mean, to me, that it is exclusive to their website.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
ifonline
Connoisseur

Look at it this way... If Best Buy offered a rebate on the purchase of an item, and that rebate was listed online, would you automatically assume it was for online purchases only? What if you made your purchase online at Best Buy and then learned that the rebate was for in-store purchases only? Or you make the purchase in-store and learn after the fact that the rebate was for online purchases only?

The normal way of handling this is to identify that the offer applies "online only," or "in-store only," or some other such qualifier. The offer on Sony's website doesn't indicate a qualifier at all. According to Sony's website, purchasing a reader = $50 book credit. That's all it says.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
I'm sorry, ifonline, but I also read the offer of the $50 worth of free e-books to be for only those purchasing their reader on SonyStyle because it was offering a gift card rather than a specific list of books (which are generally classics from Project Gutenberg). More and more of the manufacturer websites I visit for information are starting to combine their retail and informational sites. I'm guessing this saves them some developmental costs and perhaps gets more customers to purchase direct from them. The free lighted cover promotion seems to be spreading and I will likely take advantage of it since it is the deal I hoped to get on Black Friday, but I do not expect all the retailers to have it as standard. Sorry.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Would you expect to Purchase the PRS-650 from Borders, which currently includes a free over with light valued at $50.00, and then go back to Sony and ask for their $50 gift card to the Reader Store?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
ifonline
Connoisseur

Yes. Yes I would. The $50 credit is was pushed me into buying the Sony reader in the first place since I already have a Kindle 3. The free cover is what pushed me into buying it specifically from Borders.

I was in this same situation when I bought the PRS-300, and Sony honored the deal even though I didn't buy the 300 from Sony Style. There was no indication then that the deal wouldn't be honored or that it was exclusive to Sony Style purchases only just as there is no indication now that the current deal is exclusive to Sony Style.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I doubt anything will ever satisfy you, and you obviously don't seem to understand marketing at all.

BTW, if you send it back to Sony YOU will be paying for the return shipping. So that $50 savings is going to get eroded somewhat.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
ifonline
Connoisseur

Wow. Thanks. It always feels so good to be treated like an idiot. I greatly appreciate that. You wouldn't, by chance, work for Sony would you?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a choice. I can buy a 650 from Borders to get their offer or I can buy from Sony and get their offer. I cannot get both offers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
sithpuppet
sithpuppet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Maybe I'm wrong or stupid
Both, obviously.

You cast it, you reap it.
sithpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
ifonline
Connoisseur

Wow. What a collection of fine people here. So glad I stopped by.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Sorry about the hostilty - fans and all. Yeah, I would be peeved but I would chalk it up to "oh well, I missed out." I know Amazon honored price drops within a 30 day purchase window but this isn't really a price drop (maybe it is in disguise).

I just got the Borders deal a couple minutes ago and it looks like the 650 is charged and ready to go...
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
ifonline
Connoisseur

Yeah, thanks. The 650 is a nice device, certainly, but Sony (the company) leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry I obviously disturbed the holy grail for some people.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
renswic
Enthusiast
renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: 2018 PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Wow. What a collection of fine people here. So glad I stopped by.
Well. Given the topic how are we supposed to reply? Honestly Sony is a retailer, how many retailers would match a special offer like that?

Guess we will soon see a lawsuit from this.

"Yes judge, Sony's site offered $50 worth of ebooks for buying their reader. It's only posted on their site, no signage at any non Sony retail store"

Judge: *laughter* *more laughter* "Really, your wasting my time with this?"
renswic is offline   Reply With Quote