Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
fiver22
fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, pc, kindle, stanza, shubook, hp touchpad , moon+
Content Server overwhelms me, or Stanza

Hi,
I have over 4000 ebooks in Calibre and when I want to transfer an ebook to my ipod touch I use Calibre's server and Stanza.
My difficulty is that Stanza displays (or tries to display) everything on the Calibre Server -so it's difficult to sift through all the books to chose the one or two that I want to download at that moment.
Is there a way to limit which ebooks the server displays? -or, am I missing an easier solution (as I suspect)?
I'm pretty new to Calibre.
Very much appreciate your input.
Very much appreciate Calibre!
--
Running Calibre 0.6.42 in Ubuntu
fiver22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiver22 View Post
Running Calibre 0.6.42 in Ubuntu
You're asking a question about a version of the software 30+ versions removed from today's version. Good luck getting anyone here to guess what may or may not be available in that version.

Quote:
Is there a way to limit which ebooks the server displays? -or, am I missing an easier solution (as I suspect)?
Yes, but I'm relatively sure you'll have to update to a new version. Maybe someone else will have a simpler answer to your question.

Quote:
I'm pretty new to Calibre.
If you are new to calibre why are you running a version so out of date? If you decide to upgrade, uninstall calibre then follow the directions here to do a binary install of the current version.

Good luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
fiver22
fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dwanthny: I guess I was running the version that was in the repos (I'm getting lazy and often just 'sudo apt-get install _____').
I've got version 0.7.19, now.
Now that I have a more up to date version any ideas?
Thanks again for taking a look.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
Go into Preferences then Sharing Over the Net and then change the Max. OPDS items per query to a number you prefer. At least I think this is what you need?

I always found it easier just to search calibre's catalog in Stanza to bring up the books that I wanted to download.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
dwanthny: I guess I was running the version that was in the repos (I'm getting lazy and often just 'sudo apt-get install _____').
I've got version 0.7.19, now.
Now that I have a more up to date version any ideas?
Thanks again for taking a look.
I don't run Stanza and if I have been reading these recent threads correctly there is a little glitch in some of the sorting, like title sort. This will be fixed in the next release.

Try your url with /stanza appended to it to access the content server and see if that changes things. In a normal browser this option seems to add quite a bit of flexibility and ease in drilling down to grab books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana495 View Post
I always found it easier just to search calibre's catalog in Stanza to bring up the books that I wanted to download.
Glad to see someone with experience.

Using a web browser, search seemed to be the easiest way to grab a book. I wasn't sure if it was an option in Stanza. Glad to see it is.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-21-2010 at 11:13 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't run Stanza and if I have been reading these recent threads correctly there is a little glitch in some of the sorting, like title sort. This will be fixed in the next release.

Try your url with /stanza appended to it to access the content server and see if that changes things.

Glad to see someone with experience.

Using a web browser, search seemed to be the easiest way to grab a book. I wasn't sure if it was an option in Stanza. Glad to see it is.
You can connect to calibre's content server in Stanza via the content server website, but you can also search calibre's catalog directly. In the "Books in calibre" section, there's a little magnifying glass at the top that let's you search. Sorry if I'm not explaining things clearly.

And there is a glitch in calibre 0.7.19 and the search function isn't currently working, but I think it should be fixed in the next update (or just downgrade to 0.7.18).

Here's a screencap:
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
fiver22

Thanks for the replies, Diana495, and dwanthny. I appreciate your time and suggestions.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
fiver22

Quick update: I feel a bit silly -the options are really all there via the stanza search, I just had to look a little closer. Well that, and clean up some of the metadata on my books. Thanks again. Calibre is a wonderful software.

Tags
calibre, organization, server, transfering