Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #31
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by comma View Post
no buyer's remorse here. it has been fantastic for me, specially epub support
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #32
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaEbooker View Post
I really feel at this point in the thread that AdrianM is just trying to start fights...Kool Aid...Really man? ugghhh whatever, end result is all ebooks have there ups and downs, get over it.
I'm just a little tired of that guy calling me a troll and insinuating that I'm a shill for Amazon's kindle every time I voice my totally valid criticisms of the Nook. What's more, I'm on topic and I didn't even start the thread!

If I'd seen the posts that I've written and some of the more recent ones like the OPs here before I'd bought the Nook, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I just hope that others that have a high sensitivity to reflections and glare will save themselves the trouble after reading my posts.

The lack of objective evaluation in some of these forums is dumbfounding.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #33
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I'm just a little tired of that guy calling me a troll and insinuating that I'm a shill for Amazon's kindle every time I voice my totally valid criticisms of the Nook. What's more, I'm on topic and I didn't even start the thread!

If I'd seen the posts that I've written and some of the more recent ones like the OPs here before I'd bought the Nook, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I just hope that others that have a high sensitivity to reflections and glare will save themselves the trouble after reading my posts.

The lack of objective evaluation in some of these forums is dumbfounding.
Never called you a troll. This is the only post that said anything against you, I stated my reasons for liking the nook in my other post, that was all, you seemed curious, I answered your questions. Good Day.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 AM   #34
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaEbooker View Post
Never called you a troll. This is the only post that said anything against you, I stated my reasons for liking the nook in my other post, that was all, you seemed curious, I answered your questions. Good Day.
I'm sorry if my post wasn't clear; my comments were referring to boswd not you.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #35
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
For me, the big deal with the nook is having convenient access to my entire library, all on the device at the same time. Doing this requires soft-rooting the nook, and using three pieces of software: two on your computer (Calibre, calibre2opds) and one on your nook (trook).

You can drill into your library:
  • by series
  • by author
  • by title
  • by date added
  • by tag
(and maybe more). In each case, trook displays a reasonable set of choices for drilling in farther: (e.g. "Series starting with 1", "Series starting with "A", "Series starting with "B", etc.).

This combination supports something that is not currently possible with the built-in software of any stand-alone ebook reading device -- fast and convenient access to any book in a multi-thousand volume library!

Xenophon
Actually the Sony collections feature lets you do all that, except that series/tags are each created as a collection.

On the main screen you choose whether to view books by author, title or date added. Down the right side of the screen is the alphabet to easily go to anywhere along your list. If you enter collections, you can then see your books sorted by series/tags.

I actually liked the fact that series and tags were sorted together as it allows me to keep books together that are part of a particular universe, but not necessarily part of the same series.

I do miss the collections now that I don't use my PRS-900 anymore. I love my iPad, especially for night reading, but it's organization sucks for a large library.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #36
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Ah, Manga. I guess I didn't account for Manga readers but then I don't understand those that read comics on a monochrome display with 8 levels of greyscale instead of a laptop or a tablet anyway.

As for the battery. Yeah people say the same thing about the iPhone.
Let's try to be accurate. The nook and Kindle have 16 levels of grayscale.

Also, a good portion of Manga is black and white, not color.

Reading on a laptop is not as comfortable as reading on a handheld reading device. I agree that a tablet is usually the best option, but tablets are expensive and some people prefer eink to lcd. Plus, like I said, color isn't a factor in most Manga.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #37
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess the swiping page turns would be nice if they'd implemented it properly. Seems a bit of a sledgehammer to put in a shiny colour touch screen to solve that one though; a simple anti-reflective touchpad would have been so much better - like I have on my laptop.
The swiping is implemented properly. It's fine that you don't like it, but it works as intended. The touch screen was not put in just for page swipes, it offers other features. Many nook owners love the page swipe feature. So, please don't deal in absolutes. Barnes and Noble did not make a design mistake because you don't like it.

Look, we all get it that you didn't like the nook. But, because it doesn't fit your personal needs, it does not make it a bad or poorly designed device. For example, I don't go on the message boards for all of the other devices and say things like:

1. Sony PRS- 300: What a terrible device! How can you read with only 5 inches! And, what's with those weird side buttons!

2. Kobo: Why is the dpad only on the right side! I want it on the left too! How terrible.

3. The Kindle: Who's bright idea was it to make little tiny keyboard buttons! My laptop has full keyboard buttons! Why can't the Kindle! Who uses those anyway? I just want to read, not type!

If I buy a device, I can't fault the design when the design is not hidden. I know where the dpad on the Kobo is. I can see that the Kindle has a keyboard. I am aware that the nook uses a touchscreen. These are not surprises after I bring the device home.

The point is, we can all find things that we don't like about every device out there. We all have personal nitpicks too that do not represent the majority of users. Your shadow/glare issues with the nook are, quite frankly, your personal nitpicks. They do not represent legitimate design flaws. That's not to say that your opinion doesn't matter, but you should not post as if your issues are global issues. A true design flaw is something that is a problem for everyone. But, even those can sometimes be overlooked. For example, the touchscreen layer on the Sony PRS-600 causes a true issue with glare for the majority of users. But, some can overlook it based on other features that they like. And, I would never criticize those users for their preferences.

At times, I find your criticisms to be quite disrespectful of those that enjoy the nook and find that it fills their needs quite nicely. You say things like "how could anybody..." "What idiot designed..." "What a stupid decision..." "Who wants to do that..." and it implys that those that like the device are naive, fanboys, stupid, in denial, or uneducated.

You shouldn't post on message boards if you can't keep an open mind and accept that other people's opinions might differ from your own. You almost try to bait people by saying "I can't wait for the fanboys to show up." You say that you don't want to be labelled a troll, but then you express your opinion in a combative manner. You can get your point across without insulting others. If you want to "save" other potential nook owners with your cautionary tale, phrase it in a more respectful manner. State what you didn't like and why, but don't trash Barnes and Noble, the designers of the device, and the users who enjoy it.

Last edited by Noah98; 08-27-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #38
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
1. Sony PRS- 505: What a terrible device! How can you read with only 5 inches! And, what's with those weird side buttons!
Just FYI, the 505 has 6 inches
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #39
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Just FYI, the 505 has 6 inches
Woops, I meant PRS-300! I just edited it
Old 08-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #40
AdrianM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Let's try to be accurate. The nook and Kindle have 16 levels of grayscale.
Yes, you are right. I stand corrected.

I have to say though that you sound like another Nook fanboy that's unable to stand that someone has an opinion that is less than positive towards the Nook.

FWIW, I think the swipe feature is poorly implemented on the Nook. And I know, because I bought one and have used it. So this is a first hand, 100% opinion. Okay?

And yes, I think the designers made, to put it mildly, some inadvisable design decisions. The fact that a good proportion of Nook owners claim to like those design features doesn't negate my opinion. If people feel insulted because I do not like a product they use then I'd suggest that's their problem and they should probably try to get some perspective; it is, after all, just an eReader and a bad one at that.

Oh, and I thought I'd quote this back to you as I thought it was a little ironic and made me chuckle just a little;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
You shouldn't post on message boards if you can't keep an open mind and accept that other people's opinions might differ from your own.

Last edited by AdrianM; 08-27-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #41
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Maybe we can all just agree to disagree. What is important to me in a reader probably would be unimportant to Joe Blow down the street.

I can see how the lcd screen is reflective, but honestly it doesn't bother me in the least. I get migraines and headaches so usually something like this would drive me nuts. I think the reason it doesn't is because when I get submerged in a book, I don't look at the sides or bottom of the reader, I look directly at the page I'm reading. I am sure if I looked down I could see my own reflection, but I only look down when I go to use the touch screen.

Personally I love the swipe turn page option. I can do it with one hand using my thumb, and it feels much more natural to me. Although I can say that it took me a while to get it down pat where I understood how to swipe so I had page turns each time.

I love my Nook. I believe it is the best reader out there for me. That being said, I think there are many other great devices out there. I was going to get a Kindle 3. I had it in my cart the night it was announced. I am sure I would probably love it as well if I had it. It just happened that I went to the US that weekend and decided to try out a Nook, thinking I would return it if I didn't like it. I honestly didn't think I would like the lcd screen, but I ended up loving it. To each their own, that is what makes the world go around.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #42
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
Well said, Noah98. I agree on all points, and I don't have a nook, haven't used one, heck, not even in the market for one.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #43
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
OP here. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find so many strong opinions on an internet forum. ;-)

I've given the Nook some more time and the reflectivity isn't quite as annoying as I originally thought. Given no other choice I could probably live with it, and I definitely see how it doesn't bother some people.

However, there are a couple other issues that I didn't originally notice that are strikes against the Nook for me.
  • Considering I've been spending most of my time reading in airplane mode with the touchscreen off, the battery life really isn't that great. Definitely not a show stopper but I'd rather not be charging it every 3 or 4 days. I know people argue that it's not a big deal and that we all charge our smart phones every day anyway but that argument doesn't hold water for me - I'd also rather not charge my smart phone every day.
  • I think it's a bit heavy. I do some of my reading one-handed on crowded subway cars and the weight is less than ideal for that type of reading. One of the reasons I originally wanted an e-reader was to replace large trade paperbacks and the occasional hard cover that I carry during my commute. Will going down a 3 ounces in weight with a K3 make a big difference? I'm not sure.
Unless Sony comes out with some super compelling news in the next week, I'm going to stick with my K3 order and then I'll have the opportunity to compare the Nook against the K3. There's potential that I could get my wife interested in an e-reader and she likely wouldn't be as picky as me.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #44
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Yes, you are right. I stand corrected.

I have to say though that you sound like another Nook fanboy that's unable to stand that someone has an opinion that is less than positive towards the Nook.

FWIW, I think the swipe feature is poorly implemented on the Nook. And I know, because I bought one and have used it. So this is a first hand, 100% opinion. Okay?

And yes, I think the designers made, to put it mildly, some inadvisable design decisions. The fact that a good proportion of Nook owners claim to like those design features doesn't negate my opinion. If people feel insulted because I do not like a product they use then I'd suggest that's their problem and they should probably try to get some perspective; it is, after all, just an eReader and a bad one at that.

Oh, and I thought I'd quote this back to you as I thought it was a little ironic and made me chuckle just a little;
For someone on a message board about reading, you don't read very well, do you.

1. I did not attack your opinion. I have posted before that your opinion is perfectly valid. However, I did attack your rudeness and combative posting. I am not insulted by your opinion, but by the way you express it. I even gave you examples. Calling the nook a bad ereader because you didn't like it is juvenile. I don't like BMW's, but I would sound ignorant if I went around calling them bad cars. There is no reason to be impolite on a recreational message board.

2. I find it ironic that you did exactly what I said that you would--you called me a fanboy. How am I a nook fanboy? I usually recommend the Kindle 3 to most buyers. I only recommend the nook to those with specific needs. I think the Kindle 3 is the best overall value/design. I recommend the Pocketbook 360 to those who want portability. I even recommend the Kobo to those that want a small reader without all the bells and whistles. But, I guess since you don't have a real defense against my points, it is easier to just call me a fanboy.

The only difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius is limited.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #45
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
OP here. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find so many strong opinions on an internet forum. ;-)
I actually found Mobileread to be the nicest and most respectful place to share opinions here comparing to the other boards I've been to. Other than the one person here, everyone is nice and respectful. People can beg to differ but there's no need to be rude about it. Let's just be happy reading, k???
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote