Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
How many e-books does your library offer?

Since Overdrive allows you to select "view all ebooks" it's easy to determine.

Mine offers 755 in suburban New Jersey.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
877 in my west-of-Seattle county library system. Some of them look like they would free books to me, though.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Clevnet (Cleveland) has 4,951 epubs, 12,643 PDFs, and 5,308 Mobipocket ebooks. I don't see a way to do a "view all." Unfortunately for me, Clevnet is heavily weighted to toward the Romance demographic.

Last edited by carld; 07-13-2010 at 10:10 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
239 Mobipocket, 414 ePub, 4884 PDF, 1100 MP3, 4256 WMA across 8 languages in BC; shared throughout because there's only 4.5 million people in the entire province and they mostly live near the border anyway.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Philadelphia Free Library has 1,371 epub and 616 PDF books. That's unique books not counting multiple copies of some books. They seem to add quite a few new books each month.

My actual local library (Hennepin County MN) is launching it's ebooks on July 19th with 700 titles.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Free Philadelphia Library
EPUB – 1,371
PDF – 616

I listen to audiobooks while driving
MP3 audiobooks – 819
WMA audiobooks – 3,347

Bucks County Free Library
EPUB – 277
PDF – 136

I listen to audiobooks while driving
MP3 audiobooks – 213
WMA audiobooks – 2,973

If you can get ONE library card in Pennsylvania you can get free cards from most of the other Pennsylvania libraries.

Start off with the Free Philadelphia Library card. That’s cheaper.

EDIT - AnemicOak beat me to the punch.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
0, I live in Australia so I guess the whole ebook thing hasn't taken over here, sigh. Anyone know of international libraries that lend out ebooks free(or small one time fee) over the internet?
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
0, I live in Australia so I guess the whole ebook thing hasn't taken over here, sigh. Anyone know of international libraries that lend out ebooks free(or small one time fee) over the internet?
The Philadelphia Free Library does non-resident cards for $15/year. I know some out of country folks have gotten cards from them. I don't know if they had to send US funds or what since you can't pay online.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79848
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77466
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
Anyone know of international libraries that lend out ebooks free(or small one time fee) over the internet?
Check the MR Wiki entry for eBook Lending Libraries.

A couple of them will let non-residents borrow for a modest annual fee, though I don't know if they define allowable non-residents as living on the same continent or not. In any case, it can't hurt to email and ask.

I've heard that the Philadelphia library accepts international money orders for the payment; I think I saw a thread here on MR about it a couple of weeks back.

Also check Overdrive's own Search for a Library function. They've got a bunch of listings for Australia, and if you happen to live in one of the areas covered, you may be in luck.

Selection on the one I tried looking up in New South Wales was kind of low (74 fiction, 268 non), but you have to start somewhere and hopefully people checking the ebooks out will encourage them to add to the collection.

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-13-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Add Overdrive library search.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Washington county, Oregon) has 6989 ebooks, and now recognizes the Kobo reader (in addition to the Sonys and Nook.)
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
B.Tackitt
B.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 2.5.3
ZERO... which is why I have a Kindle.
B.Tackitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #12
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
Washington county, Oregon) has 6989 ebooks, and now recognizes the Kobo reader (in addition to the Sonys and Nook.)
"If you reside outside of Washington County or any of the MIX jurisdictions listed above, you may obtain a WCCLS non-resident library card for an annual fee of $95."

Oh well. Looked good for a minute.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
Zilch.
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
UK is there on Overdrive, all the available regional options currently return an 'error'
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
ebooks??? At the library? I fear that's something for the far future here...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote