Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Thoughts on Kindle DX Amazon Cover

The Amazon cover for the new Kindle DX is clearly an evolution on the previous Kindle 2 cover. It has both advantages and disadvantages.

A new positive is the new magnetic enclosure. Tiny magnets in the front and back help secure the cover to both sides of the Kindle DX. This is especially important on the back side. With the Kindle 2, the back cover can actually move a small distance away from the Kindle 2. This can cause the Kindle 2 to "hang" between the front and back cover along the spine connector, which puts increasing stress on the top latch hook that holds the Kindle 2 to the spine. This can actually pry open the Kindle 2 case, and create stress cracking near the top latch slot. It doesn't seem like the Kindle DX will suffer from this problem, despite the heavier weight.

The downside is that latching mechanism along the spine. The Kindle 2 cover mechanism was always a little tricky; if you didn't get the Kindle 2 all the way flush with the bottom connector, the top latch hook would not engage. With the Kindle DX cover, the connector is even pickier, and the Kindle DX slightly thicker along the edges, making the latch hook not line up properly without a little assistance. It Kindle DX feels very secure once attached, but the cover is more difficult to take on and take off than the Kindle 2.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
Why bother with this cover at all? It will add significant weight to a device that is already a bit too heavy. Best to carry it in a simple neoprene case and use it solo.
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Not a fan of Amazon's covers (too heavy) and will probably go with the Neoprene as well. Saying that, the OCTO Splash Proof Case looks very useful to me and would hardly add any weight at all.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
It is a bit heavy, but it's also very nice.

It makes me feel better having in it. A neoprene sleeve... I don't trust myself to put it back in before I pass out for the night. I also like the grip it gives me.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10522 View Post
Why bother with this cover at all? It will add significant weight to a device that is already a bit too heavy. Best to carry it in a simple neoprene case and use it solo.
That could prove expensive if you drop it. A decent case will provide good protection against impact. I can't count the number of times that I've fallen asleep while reading in bed and woken up to find my reader on the floor!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Yojinbo
Enthusiast
Yojinbo began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis, Aura One, Lumi
I like the cover. My only use for Kindle 1 cover was transport, but this cover gets out of the way enough to keep it on. I'm not sure we get much dropping protection do the spineular attachment. A fall of more then a half meter would simply bend the cover out of the way letting your reader smash into the floor.
Yojinbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
gv3
gv3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
I find that a Kindle (2 or DX) without a cover is too slippery for me to hold comfortably.
I'm waiting for M-Edge to bring out their Go cover for DX. I have one for the Kindle
2 and love it.
gv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Belkin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nielsen View Post
Not a fan of Amazon's covers (too heavy) and will probably go with the Neoprene as well. Saying that, the OCTO Splash Proof Case looks very useful to me and would hardly add any weight at all.

I had originally ordered the dx leather cover, decided to get a Belkin neoprene case instead. I am glad I did- I don't want to have to fiddle with an attached cover, "patented hinge" or no patented hinge....
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
Yojinbo
Enthusiast

The hinge gave me no trouble. The mechanically challenged might fuss with it. Snapped on immediately for me: bottom slides in, top fulcrums on that point and snaps.

The leather (real or not) is pebbled and gives great traction. Think good (American) football grip.

I'm sure the aftermarket covers are wonderful, but the Amazon cover is win this time for sure. A value for the money in my book for sure.

Last edited by Yojinbo; 06-13-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Ethnocentricity toned down.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I'm not saying the hinge mechanism on the Kindle DX is terrible, but I think if you spend some time taking it on and off and taking the Kindle 2's on and off, you'll find the 2's easier.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
katysax
Enthusiast
katysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle DX, prs 505
I feel that my Kindle DX needs a cover. I don't want it all scratched up. But I don't like the magnet. I work quite a bit with loose hard drives and I don't want to end up demagnetizing them.
katysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I like the cover, but I do wonder if it provides enough protection for practical use by a college student. The Kindle doesn't seem terribly flexible, but I am not going to try to force it...any flex has just gotta damage the screen...

However, imagining this stuffed into a college student's backpack along with the other stuff they carry makes me cringe.

What I would like to see is an *additional* hard sleeve to slide the cover into for carrying in a backpack. I mean something made of rigid plastic that would hold it like the kind of sleeves that come with fancy hardcover books.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysax View Post
I feel that my Kindle DX needs a cover. I don't want it all scratched up. But I don't like the magnet. I work quite a bit with loose hard drives and I don't want to end up demagnetizing them.
Actually I asked Amazon about this once, since I carry my Kindle in a shoulder bag with a magnetic closure. They said that the solid state storage used in the Kindle is not affected by magnets.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
Yojinbo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I'm not saying the hinge mechanism on the Kindle DX is terrible, but I think if you spend some time taking it on and off and taking the Kindle 2's on and off, you'll find the 2's easier.

You are right, I don't think the DX cover would be good to take on and off a lot (like I used to do with my Kindle 1). It's a leave-it-on cover.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
I don't have a Kindle 2, so I haven't used that cover, but I think the DX cover is quite nice. I find it easy to take off and put on, and I like the magnets holding the kindle down (no need for corner straps!) and holding the lid shut.

I also think that the lid is plenty stiff enough to protect the screen. The DX feels much more rigid than my iLiad, thus it has less need of protection anyway.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote