Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 03-27-2003, 10:31 AM   #46
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Basil: I use WorldMate as well. It is true that in Wunderground, you have to set up city by city, so I'm not sure if that would suit you.

Your comments make me think that you should use iSilo or Plucker, but that you do not need both. I've never looked into the launcher possibilities of Plucker. I'll try it.

Interpilot no longer exists (FYI, I was Serge Menshikov's first customer), and instead has been folded into Piloc. So what holds for one holds for the other. I always have Piloc cyrillic on, and must turn it off, as you point out, when reading French or German or any script with different accents or marks. The post after yours mentions Thin Font Fix: try it, I've used it for some time now.

There are so many fonts around that I'm not sure which to recommend. Utah (PalmReaderPro) is nice, as is OS5 (recommended by Alex, which I tried only yesterday). But I must warn you that when you want to use them, you will have to turn off Interpilot and then turn on FontHack. That is certainly annoying.

Cheers, RadleyP
Old 03-27-2003, 10:40 AM   #47
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
a) I have problems setting the correct fonts in iSilo, but no problems in Plucker (could just be my incompetence)
Can you tell us more specifically what problems you have, maybe someone can help you in this respect.

Quote:
c) iSilo keeps defaulting to showing icons and scroll bars, while I normally prefer full screen view
Open a document in iSilo, go to Menu -> Options -> Interface -> Set Title bar: hide, Scroll bar: none, Tool bar: hide AND click on "Also set as defaults"

Quote:
Is FontHack 123 generally worth using? Which fonts would you recommend?
See Here

Cheers!
Alex
Advert
Old 03-27-2003, 12:18 PM   #48
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Basil, Alexander has answered you on fonts.

One thing I forgot to mention: I use LauncherX, and you can launch any iSilo file from there. The file will open to wherever you left off.

RadleyP
Old 03-27-2003, 03:17 PM   #49
p_starpower
p_starpower began at the beginning.

Device: clie
fonts

i can heartly recommend the swiz fonts by Erich Kupferschmid. you wont switch back ever...

i included everything neccessary for using the fonts. first install x-master, then fonthack, then the fonts (read the docs how to set up it properly).

have fun (and less stress on your eyes..)

p_
Attached Files
File Type: zip hires_clie_fonts_everything_included.zip (292.3 KB, 427 views)
Old 03-27-2003, 07:02 PM   #50
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Thanks to everyone for their advice on fonts. So far I've tried ThinFonts, but am unimpressed. My solution of leaving Interpilot activated all the time produces far more elegant and legible fonts. That's why I haven't switched to Piloc - I don't know whether the same thing would occur, and in any case Interpilot fully covers my requirements.

In slower time I'll try some or all of the other suggestions. I did once try Lubak's Clie fonts, but couldn't get them to work at all.
Advert
Old 03-27-2003, 07:05 PM   #51
BasilC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally posted by radleyp
One thing I forgot to mention: I use LauncherX, and you can launch any iSilo file from there. The file will open to wherever you left off.
You're quite right, I hadn't noticed them lurking behind the "Docs" tab (I use LauncherX too). So that demolishes one of my arguments in favour of Plucker.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:14 PM   #52
BasilC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander

Open a document in iSilo, go to Menu -> Options -> Interface -> Set Title bar: hide, Scroll bar: none, Tool bar: hide AND click on "Also set as defaults"
Alex, I remember now that I did this when I first installed iSilo, but disabled it because there was no way of closing the document without the toolbar (no menu or graffiti shortcut). However, I now realise I can set one of the buttons to do this, or just go to LauncherX and launch another iSilo file.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:45 AM   #53
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a trick though:

When you are in full screen mode (that is title bar, scroll bar, tool bar all hidden), you can still get back the tool bar when you click in the lower right corner of your screen. This way you can easily close documents, do search operations, bookmarks, etc.

Greets
Old 03-28-2003, 12:34 PM   #54
kstuart
kstuart began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70
Quote:
Basil, Alexander has answered you on fonts.
See thread in this Forum "Different Font with iSilo" for why the current iSilo Font solution does not work properly.

After using iSilo for a few days, I am compiling a list of Plucker and iSilo pros and cons, but I'm not sure whether this thread is the appropriate place for it...
Old 03-28-2003, 12:43 PM   #55
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

This list of yours sounds very useful.

Would you mind sharing it with me before posting it? I've been using iSilo for a long time and - from what I can tell - you are a long-time Plucker user also experimenting with iSilo now.

I would definitely appreciate such a list. It could even be extended to other browsers such as HandStory (Gary, do you hear me?).

Alex
Old 03-28-2003, 12:48 PM   #56
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
I would definitely appreciate such a list. It could even be extended to other browsers such as HandStory (Gary, do you hear me?).
Unfortunately, yes...

Have thought for some time that it would be nice to develop a matrix of iSilo/HandStory/Plucker/etc. to keep updated that listed common features and not-so-common features of each (not a subjective-based matrix, but an objective-based one...a comparison chart, if you will). After the current list of forum "to dos" might try tackling that....
Old 03-28-2003, 06:47 PM   #57
BasilC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally posted by kstuart
See thread in this Forum "Different Font with iSilo" for why the current iSilo Font solution does not work properly.

After using iSilo for a few days, I am compiling a list of Plucker and iSilo pros and cons, but I'm not sure whether this thread is the appropriate place for it...
When I said that I had font problems with iSilo, I wasn't referring to using alternative fonts. My problem was with the size of fonts jumping around between too large and too small between different pages of the same clip. But I think I've now found the solution: I've set the default fault as Standard and Absolute, and that seems to have done the trick. Maybe I should stop being lazy and actually read the iSilo manual all the way through - all the answers are probably there.

Re the comparative tables for iSilo, HandStory and Plucker, I look forward to it. I assume it will be a collaborative effort. Step 1 would deciding what features need to be compared - I expect there'll turn out to be rather a lot of them.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:52 PM   #58
BasilC
Zealot

Re: fonts

Quote:
Originally posted by p_starpower
i can heartly recommend the swiz fonts by Erich Kupferschmid. you wont switch back ever...

i included everything neccessary for using the fonts. first install x-master, then fonthack, then the fonts (read the docs how to set up it properly).

have fun (and less stress on your eyes..)

p_
I tried these fonts, but the same thing happened as a while ago, when I installed the Lubak fonts. My Clie either crashes or the screen goes weird, with irregular dark patches. I wonder if there is a conflict between FontHack and some other application or hack on my pda?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:20 PM   #59
kstuart
kstuart began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70
Quote:
When I said that I had font problems with iSilo, I wasn't referring to using alternative fonts. My problem was with the size of fonts jumping around between too large and too small between different pages of the same clip.
I was referring to my attempt to use alternative fonts to deal with the same problem you had - the size of fonts being alternately too large and too small.

Having to set the font to "Absolute" is just saying that the normal, ie "Relative" font scheme doesn't work in a way that is practical for reading web sites.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:02 PM   #60
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Basil, as I wrote earlier, I don't think you can install both Interpilot and FontHack123. I know you can't have both Piloc and FontHack123 together. And as I mentioned before, Interpilot has now been folded into Piloc, so I assume what is true for one is true for the other. RadleyP