Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
DRM problems with Fictionwise?

According to an article on E-Books Here, the company providing DRM authentification for Fictionwise is to shut down at the end of the month. The result seems to be that new PIDs cannot be used on e-books that one has already bought after this date. Here is the link to the original article:
http://livrenumerique.blogspot.com/2...curse-drm.html
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
See here.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To clarify: this applies to "Overdrive", who only provide DRM for a TINY minority of FictionWise's Mobi books. The vast majority of books (whose DRM is provided by MobiPocket) are unaffected. Out of the 250-odd books I've bought from FW, 3 are affected by this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To clarify: this applies to "Overdrive", who only provide DRM for a TINY minority of FictionWise's Mobi books.
Actually, the FAQ says Mobi, Lit and Adobe could be affected.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, my mistake. Yes, my 3 affected books are 2 Mobi books and 1 LIT book.
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 04:15 AM   #6
anahid
Connoisseur
anahid began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3 + Kindle 3
What about the lit books I bought before I had my Cybook. Is there a way to get rid of the drm protection?? I don't think this is illegal, is it? After all it's for my own cybook and I should be able to read them on whatever reader I have.

anahid
anahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:17 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Depends where you live - it's certainly illegal in the UK.

However, to answer your question, use "ConvertLIT" to "explode" the LIT file to its OEB source (and remove the DRM, if this is legal where you live), then MobiPocket Creator to convert the OEB to Mobipocket.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Whenever I read a news like this I definitely know why I will offer all eBooks in my shop without DRM! You'll never read any news like this about a print book or mag or anything.

DRM is NOT customer friendly. It isn't supposed to. It won't be.
And it is definitly not an argument pro eBooks as long as a majority of shops still think electronic texts should be copy-protected. It took the music industry years to learn, but finally they seemed to have gotten the message. Since we can rely on the reaction time of publishing houses, it will also take them some years to finally accept that any file without DRM might be easily copied - but it will generally sell more in the long run.

And I am glad that I am able to convince my authors not to rely too much on DRM. If anyone wants an illegal copy he/she will put the book on the scanner and distribute that copy.

J.K. Rowling doesn't want Harry Potter to be published as eBooks. Still all volumes are out there as illegal copies. A DRM-protected version wouldn't help her protect her rights any more than a free one would.

Sorry, just my ramblings. DRM just hits my nerve ...

Last edited by K-Thom; 03-30-2009 at 05:21 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
crAss
Connoisseur
crAss began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You are absolutely right. Also consider the lending of books between friends. When I was in high school and the early university years it was also a matter of money. We certainly couldn't buy all the books we wanted, so we shared our books and a copy got read by 3-5-10 people before it actually got back to the buyer. If I can lend my hard copy of a book why shouldn't I be able to do that with the electronic version. Ok, I could un-DRM the ebooks but that is not the answer. I also believe that in the long run there is no change in the profit the companies make if it is DRMed or not...
crAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Simply put if you don't like DRM then don't buy DRM, and instead drop the publishers a letter or email stating that you didn't buy their product because it had DRM.

Personally I can live with DRM, I'd rather it wasn't there and I can make a good argument against it, but if it's a choice of a book with DRM or no book then I'll take the DRM.

Finally given the choice between paying for a book with DRM or paying more for the same book without DRM then I'd be happy with the choice.

Edit : Even though this was meant to be a short post, here's one final thought on it, that I feel is important (at least for me).

If I buy a book with DRM it's because I want to read it then and there. If I buy a book without DRM then it's because I want to own that book in my library forever. I'd buy a DRM-free Lord of the Rings or Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy for example, but since I've no inclination to read them again just now I wouldn't buy DRM-ed versions.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #11
d2spillers
d2spillers began at the beginning.

Device: Many
I had over 125 effected...all MS lit files...Since I keep all my files archived on a seperate disk drive I am ok. They have replaced 99 so far with eReader. Not happy with eReader.
d2spillers is offline   Reply With Quote