Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 03:16 AM   #1
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Calibre "second account"

Let me explain my wish:
I have a big library, both on PC and on reader. Everything is nicely organised and synced.
Every now and again, I need to convert a book for my daughters. A book I don't want in my library. This is what I do now: I import the book in Calibre, convert it, open the containing folder and copy it manually to daughter's reader, then manually delete it in Calibre so it won't sync with my reader.

How much easier would it be if I had a choice of Calibre "accounts". One account refers to my library on the PC, the other to a temporary library (which may or may not be empty) on PC. I don't have to worry about my library being polluted.

As far as I can tell, there is no optional choice of libraries Calibre refers to when starting up.
Adittionally, having 2 "accounts" (libraries) on hard disk may have all sorts of extra benefits. Maybe it would be nice to be able to merge them on the reader, while leaving them separate on PC.

But maybe all this has been thought of long ago and I simply overlook previous threads.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Use two virtual libraries; one for you, one for your daughters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 AM   #3
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
You can make additional libraries. Just click on the little arrow on the library button in the toolbar. From there you can make new libraries and quickly switch between your libraries.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:37 AM   #4
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
You can make additional libraries. Just click on the little arrow on the library button in the toolbar. From there you can make new libraries and quickly switch between your libraries.
I knew it would be something as simple as that! Feeling a bit stupid.
Thanks.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do look at the difference between virtual and physical libraries. For something like this, I really think that virtual libraries would be better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gene...ented-commands

I thought there might be a way to select the 'startup' library using the CLI, but doesn't appear to be.

Might be a nice option though, so people could customize different shortcuts to start in different places
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gene...ented-commands

I thought there might be a way to select the 'startup' library using the CLI, but doesn't appear to be.

Might be a nice option though, so people could customize different shortcuts to start in different places
that is what

--With-Library does

I run a (CLI) content-server on my Main Library using that switch. That way, no matter which Library is in the GUI, the Main one is available (I do not use the GUI 'share' one)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@theducks --

Oh, rats -- I didn't go down far enough

I was wondering why something like that wasn't already there
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote