Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Symptom of a dying battery?

I hadn't used my PRS-350 for a while, and it was out of a charge. I left it plugged into my PC for a few days.

When I disconnected it from the USB cable, I got a low battery error, and the reader showed a low battery error for a moment and turned off. I was unable to turn it back on. I plugged the reader back into my PC, booted the reader, and then unplugged the cable when the "Charging" screen appeared. I'm now able to use the reader. The battery meter is full.

Should I expect the thing to die on me any day now, or was the failure to power on in this circumstance normal?
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barium View Post
I left it plugged into my PC for a few days.
It's not generally a good idea to leave your e-reader plugged into your PC for an extended period, unless you are using the PC the whole time, as otherwise it goes to sleep and stops charging your device. It sounds like you've probably drained the battery (& perhaps screwed up the charge cycle a bit?).

The best thing to do is plug it in with a wall charger and leave it to charge for a good few hours.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
It's not generally a good idea to leave your e-reader plugged into your PC for an extended period, unless you are using the PC the whole time, as otherwise it goes to sleep and stops charging your device. It sounds like you've probably drained the battery (& perhaps screwed up the charge cycle a bit?).

The best thing to do is plug it in with a wall charger and leave it to charge for a good few hours.
The PC was on for the entire time and never entered any power-saving mode (like sleep, standby, or hibernation). Does the above still apply?
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Hmm, in that case I'm not sure to be perfectly honest.

I still wouldn't trust charging it from a PC though if you are having problems. If you are trying to troubleshoot the battery, it is definitely recommended to use a wall charger and leave it charging for a good long period.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
My Sony PRS 350 wouldn't hold a charge very long after much heavy use over a period of three years. I was thinking of replacing the battery and even went ahead and opened the case and disconnected the battery. However, upon trying to actually remove the battery it wouldn't budge and it seemed to be almost glued on. Luckily, I did this procedure before ordering a replacement battery (it would've been terrible to order the replacement battery and then be unable to take out the dead battery ) and so I'm keeping it for parts in case I ever get another PRS 350. Still, I'm wondering if anyone else has any tips for taking out a dead battery.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Did you take a look at this video about replacing the battery?

There's a little bit of adhesive around the side trim pieces, I imagine they used the same adhesive at the back of the battery to prevent any rattling around (which is a good thing). You probably just need to pry it up as in the video.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Did you take a look at this video about replacing the battery?

There's a little bit of adhesive around the side trim pieces, I imagine they used the same adhesive at the back of the battery to prevent any rattling around (which is a good thing). You probably just need to pry it up as in the video.
Yes, I saw the video. . it's possible my PRS-350 has extra adhesive making it overly difficult to take off the battery. I gave up after I noticed the screen developed black lines after trying to force the battery off ( discontecting and then reconnecting the battery helped to return the screen to normal). Luckily I bought my new Sony PRS T-1 for $49 at the local sony outlet store last week so paying $30 dollars for a battery doesn't make much sense.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote