Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #1066
finitary
finitary began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Excel, Barnes and Noble Nook Simple Touch
Feature request

Hello

I often read PDFs with a lot of front matter before the page numbering starts. This means that when I jump to a page, I have to calculate in my head to input the right page number. It would be nice, and an easy feature to add I think, if for each file one could add an "offset" that would automatically be added to a page number entered.

Thank you.
finitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #1067
danya2
danya2 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E60, Onyx Boox M92
Hi all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finitary View Post
Hello

I often read PDFs with a lot of front matter before the page numbering starts. This means that when I jump to a page, I have to calculate in my head to input the right page number. It would be nice, and an easy feature to add I think, if for each file one could add an "offset" that would automatically be added to a page number entered.

Thank you.
I don't know if really so simple to add but... should be GREAT!
danya2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #1068
danya2
danya2 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E60, Onyx Boox M92
Proposed improvements (IMHO) and some issues

Firmware v1.8 20121113

[New PDF reader]

- Dictionary tool:
The search function with the dictionary tool would be more useful if it worked as it

should because in many pdf, instead translate the selected word, trying to translate

first word on the same line and I said "trying" because it still often does not

recognize even that word and translates it with what looks more like. I'd rather have

a list of words to choose from! I also wonder if you could make boox m92 compatible

with the "Star Dict" dictionaries version 3 (currently seems to only support those v2)

since they are newer and easier to find.

- Bookmarks and notes:
It would be useful to have a search function in the index of the notes and/or

bookmarks especially for those large documents of hundreds of pages as well as to

rename bookmarks as is already done, in part, with notes and since text typing with

the software keyboard is not just convenient, it would not be bad if notes and

bookmarks were recorded starting from "marked text" (not from head of the line)

without blanks between words, because now they are really not very useful.

- - -
Sure... your opinion is welcome!

I think the Onyx Boox M92 is already a good device, but thanks to Booxtor as well as

tireless developers it could be improved so that it could really win the competition

with the best e-readers on the market.
danya2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #1069
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
@Bootor

When reading, in landscape mode with scribbles selected (obviously the annotation bar is active) if you go to settings to change the zoom, as soon as you click on the icon at the left bottom corner to go to settings the toolbar switches back to Zooming which is forcing you to go back to change it to what it was (scribbling)

@finitary: we are missing more important basic functions that the page offset. In my opinion Onyx should focus on having their reader with most of the basic functions of a decent PDF reader. Since we are missing a lot at the annotations level, in my opinion the page offset is something "nice to have" but not vital.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #1070
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
@Bootor

When reading, in landscape mode with scribbles selected (obviously the annotation bar is active) if you go to settings to change the zoom, as soon as you click on the icon at the left bottom corner to go to settings the toolbar switches back to Zooming which is forcing you to go back to change it to what it was (scribbling)

@finitary: we are missing more important basic functions that the page offset. In my opinion Onyx should focus on having their reader with most of the basic functions of a decent PDF reader. Since we are missing a lot at the annotations level, in my opinion the page offset is something "nice to have" but not vital.
I think offset option is quite vital. Note that such a function would be very useful for exporting annotations (particularly in academic work). If it was in place, it would be possible to directly use annotations as source of citations/references in your own writing - the way it is now, you have to consult the pdf itself for page numbers, even if you had your notes/highlights exported to text file.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #1071
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
It would work in some cases, but not all. The book may restart numbering each chapter, blank pages are ommited in pdf, but present in book, enclosed pictures/advertisements may or may not be counted and so on.

It might help in some cases, but one cannot rely on it... It seems to me safer practice to write page number in annotation comment. At least the 1st comment on page. (But OK there could be an option to fill it automatically with page number minus user entered offset)

But I agree with PF4Mobile, that priority should be given to removing all/most known bugs or anoyances and reaching the stable version, first. We still have pre RC. Lots of work has been done and a new pdf reader is a big step forward, but it needs some more polishing here and there...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #1072
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
CBR file : setting zoom level.

Hi,
I like to be able to set the zoom level with the CBR files. I hope, that is possible to have this in a futur firmware.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #1073
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
I think offset option is quite vital. Note that such a function would be very useful for exporting annotations (particularly in academic work). If it was in place, it would be possible to directly use annotations as source of citations/references in your own writing - the way it is now, you have to consult the pdf itself for page numbers, even if you had your notes/highlights exported to text file.
Yes in that case it might be vital, I agree with you.
On the other side, how many of the known desktop PDF readers have this function? That tells how if from commercial point of view it makes sense to put a higher priority on this.

Can't this overcame by exporting to desktop and extracting the annotations there with a software that does have that function implemented?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #1074
KarlL42
KarlL42 began at the beginning.

Device: M92
dictionary usage

@Booxtor:
I just upgraded to firmware 1.8.20121113.
I like the new option to maximize the dictionary window, but was sad to find that it only works for the pdf reader. Can we please have it for all other formats as well? (for example, for epub the 'D' icon is not there).

Also, could there be an option that clicking on a word will directly open the dictionary entry for this word?
In the moment I'm reading a difficult text where I have to look up lots of words. It seems that for every lookup I have to
1. click on the lower left corner to open the tools menu
2. click on the "dictionary icon"
3. click on the word to lookup
4. close the dictionary window as it obscures some text

It would be great if I could skip clicks 1 and 2 without having to keep the dictionary window open at all times. Is that possible?
KarlL42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #1075
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

It is possible to click dictionary button on toolbar. So, you can skip step 1.

Your suggestion is ever faster and gives better work flow if lots of dictionary lookups is needed. Might be good for learning a foreign language. Adding "dictionary tool", beside "hand tool", "scribling tool", might be an improvement.

If it is easy to implement, I would vote for such an improvement.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #1076
melmoth79
melmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Regarding the dictionary, you can look up any word just by double clicking on it (in any reader). However the double click with the stylus is tricky (you have to be precise) it might be better to use a long press.
melmoth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #1077
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Thanks melmoth, I have a i62 Firefly and not a M92 but your advice on double tapping to bring up the dictionary was a great revelation On my device it seems to work flawlessly in FBreader while in Coolreader is more of a hit and miss feature, double tapping often just changes the page (highlighting words is quite unprecise too). Does it work for pdf files too on the M92?
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #1078
Mono
Mono

No, double click or long press do not work in M92.

You must first open a dictionary subwindow and than if you touch the word by stylus the explanation is shown. (KarlL42 suggested to skip manual openning of dictionary subwindow and let it open it automaticaly when one touches the word.)

It works fine for English and maybe also for other bigger languages. But for example for Czech language (it has many letters with accents) M92 is not able to capture whole word. It takes only part of the word if it contains certain accented letters. It considers accented letter as space.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #1079
melmoth79
melmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemelmoth79 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
No, double click or long press do not work in M92.
My mistake, double click works in FBreader and Coolreader but not in the PDFreader.

Long press was just a suggestion, I think it's an easier gesture (the screen is not as responsive as we'd like )
melmoth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #1080
Mono
Mono

I see, I do not use them, just PDFreader. So, maybe double click on the word if hand tool is active? Therefore no need for special dictionary mode.

It would make sense to do it this way, if it works that way in FBreader and Coolreader.