Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #31
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I liked "The Anubis Gate," thouugh I'm not sure if it's available as an eBook. Fun read (read it twice)!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #32
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't forget Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Life, the Universe and Everything and So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #33
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Timeline by Michael Crichton
The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (a sequel to H.G. Wells' Time Machine)
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle
A World Out of Time by Larry Niven
Lest Darkness Fal by L Sprague DeCamp (a history professor is swept back in time and has a chance to save the Roman Empire)

These aren't really SciFi:
Time and Again by Jack Finney
Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson
The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #34
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Spider Robinson wrote a great short story about someone going back in time to prevent Heinlein from contracting tuberculosis-- to prevent the invention of science fiction! Things don't work out as planned, of course.

I can't find it right now, but I did find a really great story he wrote about copyright law. It won a Hugo award. I can't believe I hadn't read it before today. http://www.spiderrobinson.com/melancholyelephants.html
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:20 AM   #35
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Hah, I've read so many in this genre (one of my favorites!), but I cannot seem to recall any off the top of my head. There have been quite a few good ones, and several slow ones to boot, such fun to read and imagine. I know a few people here have recommended Heinlein, most of his books have been fairly tough reads for me, as they just don't seem to pick up enough momentum for my taste. I've read a few Simak books when I was younger, but they also don't seem to grab me too much nowadays, I guess I've switched over to hard SF that makes plays off of existing technology so it's difficult to really enjoy very old novels (I guess classic SF) when they're tech is so different from the newer stuff or maybe it's their writing styles or maybe something simpler, such as my literary tastes have changed?

Good thing there are so many to chose from, don't have to stick with something that doesn't grab my interest!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Spider Robinson wrote a great short story about someone going back in time to prevent Heinlein from contracting tuberculosis-- to prevent the invention of science fiction! Things don't work out as planned, of course.

I can't find it right now, but I did find a really great story he wrote about copyright law. It won a Hugo award. I can't believe I hadn't read it before today. http://www.spiderrobinson.com/melancholyelephants.html

The Return of William Proxmire

I think it's the best alternate history story ever.

You can find it in either Playgrounds of the Mind, or N-Space. I forget which one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #37
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post

The Return of William Proxmire

I think it's the best alternate history story ever.

You can find it in either Playgrounds of the Mind, or N-Space. I forget which one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #38
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
This is a great topic! I can't wait to track some of these down in e-book or otherwise.

I don't know about e-book availability, but I recommend the following time travel stories:

Time Out of Mind by Pierre Boulle (Anthology of short stories, Time Out of Mind is one of the stories)

A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury (short story - I see Ben recommended this already)

I also liked the Time Traveller's Wife.

Betty

Last edited by BettyE; 08-13-2007 at 09:20 PM. Reason: I just saw that Ben already recommended the Bradbury story.
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #39
SciFiReader
GadgetReader
SciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Sony Reader
Thumbs up Check out this site for Time Travel/Alternative History

This is one of the best sites I have found dealing with Tiime Travel/Alternate History. I have been going here for years and always find great insights, reviews and ideas for new books.
Try it. http://www.uchronia.net/
SciFiReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #40
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyE View Post
...I also liked the Time Traveller's Wife...

Betty
...by Audrey Niffenegger. I had forgotten about that one. She was recommended by the Royal British Association of Librarians... if I got that right.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #41
dadalian
dadalian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
My personal favorite time travel stories are The Man Who Folded Himself and End of Eternity.
dadalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #42
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiReader View Post
This is one of the best sites I have found dealing with Tiime Travel/Alternate History. I have been going here for years and always find great insights, reviews and ideas for new books.
Try it. http://www.uchronia.net/
Thx for the link
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #43
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
There's the Conrad Stargard series, which begins with The Cross Time Engineer. Here's the description from Amazon:
Quote:
One moment Conrad Schwartz was suffering from a severe hangover as he hiked through the mountains of present-day Poland, the next he was running for his life from an angry Teutonic knight. Things went downhill from there, and he finally had to face the disheartening fact he had somehow been stranded in 1231 A.D. He would have been happier if he had known less history. But there was very bad news in his new future, so he set out to turn Medieval Poland into the most powerful country in the thirteenth century. It wouldn't be easy. He would be investigated by the Inquisition, be knighted, round up vassals, build a city, survive armed combat with the Champion of the Teutonic Knights, invent the steam engine and cloth factories, establish universal education, and organize an army. He needed the army most of all, because he knew that the Mongol hordes would attack in only ten years and destroy Medieval Poland-and that would really mess up Conrad's life.
And I'm thinking of some other series, but the authors' names and the books' titles aren't coming to mind at the moment. I'll get back to you
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #44
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I really enjoyed the collaborative efforts of Robert Asprin and Linda Evans in the Time Travel sub-genre. The four book Time Scout series is quite good (if you don't mind a few logistical holes that are kinda glossed over -- I didn't notice most of them until I was re-reading the books).

The titles are Time Scout, Wagers of Sin, Ripping Time, and The House That Jack Built. The last two are available as e-books from Baen. I've asked if they plan to release the first two as e-books as well, and the reply was to the effect of: "maybe eventually." The last two also deal with Jack the Ripper, so if you're interested in that topic .... It's fiction of course, but it's still quite an interesting fictional take on that mystery.

Another, totally separate time travel novel by those same two authors (also e-available from Baen) is a book called For King and Country. A very good read, that one.

Also possibly of interest is the Dragon Knight series by Phillip K. Dick. The first one is The Dragon And The George, I'll let you consult Amazon for the rest of the titles. I don't believe those are e-available, though (I'd like to find out I'm wrong!)

And of course, Michael Creighton's Timeline and Sphere are good reads (much better than the movies), and they both pre-date his politicized period. I don't know if those are e-vailable or not.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #45
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I really enjoyed the collaborative efforts of Robert Asprin and Linda Evans in the Time Travel sub-genre. The four book Time Scout series is quite good (if you don't mind a few logistical holes that are kinda glossed over -- I didn't notice most of them until I was re-reading the books).

The titles are Time Scout, Wagers of Sin, Ripping Time, and The House That Jack Built. The last two are available as e-books from Baen. I've asked if they plan to release the first two as e-books as well, and the reply was to the effect of: "maybe eventually." The last two also deal with Jack the Ripper, so if you're interested in that topic .... It's fiction of course, but it's still quite an interesting fictional take on that mystery.

Another, totally separate time travel novel by those same two authors (also e-available from Baen) is a book called For King and Country. A very good read, that one.

Also possibly of interest is the Dragon Knight series by Phillip K. Dick. The first one is The Dragon And The George, I'll let you consult Amazon for the rest of the titles. I don't believe those are e-available, though (I'd like to find out I'm wrong!)

And of course, Michael Creighton's Timeline and Sphere are good reads (much better than the movies), and they both pre-date his politicized period. I don't know if those are e-vailable or not.
There is a fifth one in the Time Scout series called ' License Invoked'
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote