Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: binatone ReadMe, Kobo Touch, Scroll Extreme 2
Trials of having a Kobo Touch

Hi all. I got my Kobo early this year V.1.9.10 brand new from W.H.Smiths (honest), and the only problem i had with it, was that the last line of text would be split in half off the bottom of the screen rendering it pretty useless.

Of course over this year, having faith in the company's ability to sort out any problems - with the hopefully final next patch - something goes wrong with the next patch. But still, i have managed to read many books. The 2.0.0 patch dropped my battery life by at least half of normal, and have now finally arrived at V.2.1.5. All well and good i thought -

Wrong. Despite trying several different USB cables i cannot get my Kobo to connect to my PC I've tried it in a number of different laptops and desktops (thoughout the family), but it's the same with them.

As with the battery being effected by a patch, is it possible that the latest version effects connectivity? I really do wonder if it's time to put this Kobo in the bin and call it quits.

Regards
saiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
EDIT: Sorry, missed you had tried different cables as well as different computers.

I'd suggest a factory reset, but you might not be able to get your books back if you do that. However, if you only bought it earlier this year, you should still be under warranty and I'd try that route. Could be a hardware issue.

Last edited by robko; 10-23-2012 at 06:20 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyuki View Post
Hi all. I got my Kobo early this year V.1.9.10 brand new from W.H.Smiths (honest), and the only problem i had with it, was that the last line of text would be split in half off the bottom of the screen rendering it pretty useless.

Of course over this year, having faith in the company's ability to sort out any problems - with the hopefully final next patch - something goes wrong with the next patch. But still, i have managed to read many books. The 2.0.0 patch dropped my battery life by at least half of normal, and have now finally arrived at V.2.1.5. All well and good i thought -

Wrong. Despite trying several different USB cables i cannot get my Kobo to connect to my PC I've tried it in a number of different laptops and desktops (thoughout the family), but it's the same with them.

As with the battery being effected by a patch, is it possible that the latest version effects connectivity? I really do wonder if it's time to put this Kobo in the bin and call it quits.

Regards
On your Kobo, try signing out of your account and back in (it is in the settings menu)
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi. There's no problem doing that and (again), setting up the Kobo wirelessly. Because of this USB problem i am consequently unable to recharge the thing.

I'm amost at the end of a 1200 page book with 55% battery life remaining - it was 61% until i logged out, logged in, and setup the Kobo. I'll take it back to the shop and if they can't help it'll go in the bin.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards
Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
mapline
Enthusiast
mapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi Sounds as if your KT has a problem.
I had a problem with my first KT. Kobo and my retailer (Asda) were brilliant. Said just exchange it!
You can ring Kobo help from UK Toll Free Kobo Help Line, UK 00800 33 22 33 44.
Or I'm sure WHSmith would help.
Brilliant device but if you have money to waste don't throw it in the bin I'm sure someone on the forum would sort it with the purchase receipt.
mapline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
saiyuki
Enthusiast

Hi. I'm on a massive hunt for the reciept now. Typical it's not where it should be with all my other reciepts.

Regards
Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Receipts are never where they should be, lol. Good luck with finding it but even if you don't I'd still take it back to Smiths as they may have a record of serial number or something. It's worth trying for an exchange as I bought mine a few months ago and haven't had any problems and am now on 2.1.5. (fingers crossed.)
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
mapline
Enthusiast
mapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Touch
If you paid by credit card that would be proof.
Also ring Kobo they helped me.
Interesting in the UK it seems devices should be guaranteed for 2 years.
Most manufactures seem to only state 1yr.
However I was found it interesting that Nokia and Samsung phones now state 2 years.

Last edited by mapline; 10-24-2012 at 05:53 AM.
mapline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapline View Post
If you paid by credit card that would be proof.
Also ring Kobo they helped me.
Interesting in the UK it seems devices should be guaranteed for 2 years.
Most manufactures seem to only state 1yr.
However I was found it interesting that Nokia and Samsung phones now state 2 years.
In the European Union there is a difference between sellers-warranty and factory-warranty.

Sellers are obligated to give a minimum warranty on electronic products (in The Netherlands 2 years). Whether or not that is backed by the factory is not important. Background is that you may expect a certain minimum lifetime, different for each product. Actually, if you are to expect a longer lifetime than they have to give you warranty for that time, but they may also require you to pay for the time you used it. For example, if a device is normally expected tot last 10 years (vacuum cleaner?) and it breaks down after 8, they have to compensate you for the 2 years. Of course, how long normal lifetime is, is part of the discussion

In the past few years I've seen more and more factories backing those 2 minimum years, because sellers probably are asking them to do so.

For an E-reader, I think, it is not likely that a 10 year normal lifetime is considered, however you can discuss about what is reasonable then.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
saiyuki
Enthusiast

My wife found the reciept and i duly contacted W.H.Smiths. I had purchased it from them on the the 31/01/2012 so i am well within any limitation. But, as it is outside of their 30 day W.H.Smith limitation for returned goods, i have to take the Kobo to W.H.Smiths who will fill out a form, which i then take home and complete. I then have to send both the Kobo and form to Kobo, who will either (upon inspection), fix, replace, or send back as nothing wrong.

So i face paying P&P as well to get this sorted out

Regards
Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
That sounds odd. Consumer legislation is pretty generous in the UK, and applies regardless of the seller's individual policies. It seems odd that you should have to pay an additional cost because they have sold you a faulty product.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
That sounds odd. Consumer legislation is pretty generous in the UK, and applies regardless of the seller's individual policies. It seems odd that you should have to pay an additional cost because they have sold you a faulty product.
Agree. EU-legislation puts responsibility with the seller, for at least 2 years. Of course, many sellers try to get out of that responsibility. Altough this responsibility can of course be outsourced to the factory, they have to take te costs for that, in my opinion.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
So as Robko suggested, I would try doing a factory reset.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
saiyuki
Enthusiast

I did a factory reset prior to taking the Kobo back. I also tested with different USB cables in different laptops as well so i guess the actual Kobo USB connector is at fault.

Regards
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyuki View Post
Hi. There's no problem doing that and (again), setting up the Kobo wirelessly. Because of this USB problem i am consequently unable to recharge the thing.
Have you tried plugging it to a wall charger, as opposed to a PC? Sometimes when an electronic device won't connect to a PC, it may still be able to charge depending on what the issues is

Last edited by kobokobe; 10-24-2012 at 11:29 AM.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote