Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #331
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Just have to wonder what the PC software is for since it does not manage the books you already have on your computer. So I guess it's just to manage books you buy ....
Pretty much. Also to download any firmware updates.

If you have multiple Kobo devices or Kobo software on other devices it will synch your last page read on Kobo ePub files to the other devices. So say you're reading on your Touch just before you go to sleep. You synch your device with the cloud and now at lunch the next day you can start where you left off on your iPad or your cell phone which is also running the Kobo software.

Note this feature does not work with non Kobo purchased epub files.

Personally this is not a feature I care about but to each their own.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #332
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Ok bear with me here, why would I want to synch my Glo ? I mean I drag and drop books from my computer when connected to it with the USB cable. Synchronizing with what and why ?
Syncing is only necessary if you:
- read kepubs / kobobooks (books bought from kobo) AND
- you want to sync your bookmarks between devices (for reading the same book on several devices)

OR

- for updating the firmware.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #333
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Can you also use wireless for updating firmware?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #334
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
I am still using a PRS 350, and I'm thinking about upgrading to the Kobo Glo. One question though. For page turning on my PRS 350, if I swipe in one direction, the page turns forward, and if I swipe in the other direction it goes backwards. Is this doable on the Glo? I don't like the idea of having to tap one side to go forward and the other side to go back. I'd like to be able to swipe wherever I feel most comfortable and have the direction of my swipe dictate the direction of the page turn.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #335
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Can you also use wireless for updating firmware?
Yes, you can!

However, the most resent firmware (2.1.5), seemed to prefer to download via the desktop software than directly with the device's wifi. I'm not sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
I am still using a PRS 350, and I'm thinking about upgrading to the Kobo Glo. One question though. For page turning on my PRS 350, if I swipe in one direction, the page turns forward, and if I swipe in the other direction it goes backwards. Is this doable on the Glo? I don't like the idea of having to tap one side to go forward and the other side to go back. I'd like to be able to swipe wherever I feel most comfortable and have the direction of my swipe dictate the direction of the page turn.
Yes, swiping for page turns works perfectly! I use it all the time
Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #336
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Thanks, one more quick question, is it possible to hold the swipe and then it will rapidly switch through pages? This isn't a game-breaking feature for me, but it is pretty convenient on the PRS 350.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #337
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
Thanks, one more quick question, is it possible to hold the swipe and then it will rapidly switch through pages? This isn't a game-breaking feature for me, but it is pretty convenient on the PRS 350.
I just tested this to be sure: no, this doesn't work.

To quickly page forward or backward you can slide a slider that you can find within the book menu though (the slider is two taps away: one to open the menu, one to select the slider).
Old 10-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #338
Fayth
Zealot

Ok, good to know, thanks. I think I might pick one of these up later this week.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #339
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yes, you can!

However, the most resent firmware (2.1.5), seemed to prefer to download via the desktop software than directly with the device's wifi. I'm not sure why.

Mine arrived fine by WiFi
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 AM   #340
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know how I got mine. At first my Glo was connected with the USB cable and did some updates, (at first you must plug it cause it demands it the first time) then I guess it did more upgrades through wifi after I set it up for wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Mine arrived fine by WiFi
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #341
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Mine arrived via wifi whilst I was doing the initial set up.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #342
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
I am VERY disappointed in the poor options to categorize your books. I have over 2500 books, neatly arranged on my sd card, and when copied, it's just 1 long list. 575 pages with 5 books per page. sort by author, or by name. what is this, the flinstones???
If I spend a whole week, i can divide them into those shelves. which would still leave me with 500 SHELVES. that means 100 pages of shelves. = bullshit
whats wrong with an explorer-like treestructure?? If you cant come up with a program that can handle this, dont be bragging about expanding your device with a 30.000 book-capacity SD card.

I cant even imagine handling 500 books in an overseeable way on this device, leave alone 30.000
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #343
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I can't imagine having more than 20 books on an ereader. I have never understood the desire to carry your entire collection around with you. Ideally, I have about 10-15 of different types.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #344
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I can't imagine having more than 20 books on an ereader. I have never understood the desire to carry your entire collection around with you. Ideally, I have about 10-15 of different types.
I have about 600 on my kindle keyboard all arranged into collections. At the moment I've got around 100 books on my kobo glo. I want to transfer the remaining 500 onto the glo and then arrange them all into shelves.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #345
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
It's not perfect for sure and is definitely easier on a tablet with a large collection...
I use Calibre to create my shelves and keep the organization simple by limiting the number of shelves I create in the custom column (on Calibre).
BTW, I also have a Sony and the "collections" organization is not as developed on the one as on the Kobo (without rooting). I believe there are some other brands out there that organize the way you want out of the box, such as ecoreader, but you'd have to do some research on the forums to get more details.
A rooted Sony T1 using prs+ will also allow you to organize into folders on your device.
But then you wouldn't have the pretty light...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-22-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote