Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
Makeshift "audible" books

i noticed that MP3's In the audible folder show up as new Audible's

at this rate what would you suggest doing? convert a Audiobook-CD to 1 Giant MP3? or Keep indivdual Tracks ?
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Depends on how much space you have. There have been some reports that an MP3 audiobook doesn't keep it's place if you leave it and go back to the home page, also (the AA files do retain their position, just like ebooks).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
If you have iTunes, you can import your audible cds as m4a and then change the extension to m4b. When importing, select join tracks and import no higher than 64kbs. This process will keep bookmarks.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
If you have iTunes, you can import your audible cds as m4a and then change the extension to m4b. When importing, select join tracks and import no higher than 64kbs. This process will keep bookmarks.

Carol
the thing is the kindle doesnt Support m4b
Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
the thing is the kindle doesnt Support m4b
I wasn't aware of that.

Carol
Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #6
tinypaws
tinypaws began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Yes it's sad. I have many books in m4b format. Some I have compiled from courses I purchased in mp3 format. I scoured the web to see if there was a way to convert m4b or mp3s into Audible format books, and it looks like their format is very closed and proprietary. I just bought a Kindle today and I'm disappointed in the lack of functionality for playing mp3s. I thought if I could at least listen to my mp3 courses on the Kindle through a Playlist or even selecting the individual mp3s it would be worthwhile to get it.

Now that I know the truth about the how limited the mp3 functionality is it doesn't seem like such a good decision. I think I should have gone for a iPad or iPod instead. It's like Amazon is locking people into their platforms and formats.
tinypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinypaws View Post
Yes it's sad. I have many books in m4b format. Some I have compiled from courses I purchased in mp3 format. I scoured the web to see if there was a way to convert m4b or mp3s into Audible format books, and it looks like their format is very closed and proprietary. I just bought a Kindle today and I'm disappointed in the lack of functionality for playing mp3s. I thought if I could at least listen to my mp3 courses on the Kindle through a Playlist or even selecting the individual mp3s it would be worthwhile to get it.

Now that I know the truth about the how limited the mp3 functionality is it doesn't seem like such a good decision. I think I should have gone for a iPad or iPod instead. It's like Amazon is locking people into their platforms and formats.
I just tried to convert an mp3 file to aa in Goldwave and it worked. I have audibleMediaPlayerFilter installed. That may be the trick. Google Chuck Eglington and check out his blog on 'How can I convert Audible.com .AA files to MP3 audio files?'

Check you PM

Carol
Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
volvik
volvik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Can you confirm you converted .mp3 files to .aa and not the other way around?

I checked Goldwave out however .aa format did not appear to be a format option to save as.

Thanks..

Ron

Quote:
I just tried to convert an mp3 file to aa in Goldwave and it worked. I have audibleMediaPlayerFilter installed. That may be the trick. Google Chuck Eglington and check out his blog on 'How can I convert Audible.com .AA files to MP3 audio files?'

Check you PM

Carol
volvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
Can you confirm you converted .mp3 files to .aa and not the other way around?

I checked Goldwave out however .aa format did not appear to be a format option to save as.

Thanks..

Ron
Yes converted from mp3 to aa. aa does not show up as a format all you have to do is name your file and add .aa manually.

Carol
Old 09-25-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
tinypaws
tinypaws began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Yes converted from mp3 to aa. aa does not show up as a format all you have to do is name your file and add .aa manually.

Carol
That's great you could do it! Unfortunately all that software, Goldwave and the filters are for Windows, I own a Mac

I have had terrible experiences with Audible in the past. I signed up for a free account, the deal was free for a month and I could download 2 books. Neither would actually download, their support didn't respond at all to the problem. I cancelled my account and they still charged my credit card... for 2 months! I had to go back and forth with them to get them to finally cancel it, and I asked for a refund for those 2 months. I had obviously not downloaded anything in that time, had trouble downloading during my free month, and had cancelled my account - they should not have even charged me. They refused to refund me. So although I love audio books, I am really loathe to sign up to Audible again.
tinypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I have had terrible experiences with Audible in the past. I signed up for a free account, the deal was free for a month and I could download 2 books. Neither would actually download, their support didn't respond at all to the problem. I cancelled my account and they still charged my credit card... for 2 months! I had to go back and forth with them to get them to finally cancel it, and I asked for a refund for those 2 months. I had obviously not downloaded anything in that time, had trouble downloading during my free month, and had cancelled my account - they should not have even charged me. They refused to refund me. So although I love audio books, I am really loathe to sign up to Audible again.
I feel for you.

Audible CS sucks! I went round and round with them for weeks trying to get a trial membership set up. I don't think these people have a clue as to what's going on. Needless to say, I won't be renewing my membership when the trial period is over.

PS: welcome to the board

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-25-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added welcome
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
That's great you could do it! Unfortunately all that software, Goldwave and the filters are for Windows, I own a Mac

Sorry for your experience with audible. I had them for quite a few years and had no trouble with them. I cancelled a few months back cause since I got my Kindle I found I was reading more and not really listening to books. I have so many from audible that I haven't listened to yet.

And welcome to MobileRead.

Carol
Old 09-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
for mac users http://www.ehow.com/how_5890536_conv...3-audible.html
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

Can you explain how you converted to aa? what Target format you used?

who knows w/ the New "4th gen" Amazon Just released it might support m4b but i doubt it , likely liscensing issue or worry over Piracy.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
Can you explain how you converted to aa? what Target format you used?

who knows w/ the New "4th gen" Amazon Just released it might support m4b but i doubt it , likely liscensing issue or worry over Piracy.
I used Goldwave to convert. See my post #8.

Carol