Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
Reading files from external SD card

Hello,

Can you read ePub files directly from the external SD Card on the Vox without importing to the library? I would like to have my files on the external card instead of the internal memory.

On my Touch, I have all my ebooks on one memory card and that way I can move the card from device to device if needed.

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFisher View Post
Hello,

Can you read ePub files directly from the external SD Card on the Vox without importing to the library? I would like to have my files on the external card instead of the internal memory.

On my Touch, I have all my ebooks on one memory card and that way I can move the card from device to device if needed.

Ken
Well, the card for the Vox is a microSD and the Touch is SD? Therefore you wouldn't be able to move it from one device to the other.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

The cards are both microSD. But the issue is that the Vox will not allow me to read the epubs that I have on the card unless it imports off the card to the main memory, which is what I do not want to do.

ken
Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
the external sd card on the Vox is not used except to import files.
this thread is a discussion of the internal vs external cards on the Vox...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=vox+external
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I use an reading app called cool reader which allows me to read directly from either the internal SD or external SD Cards without importing the epubs into the app itself.

I didn't want to import a lot of books only to have to delete them after reading, also I didn't want an endless bookshelf/case inside my Kobo library. Like you I wanted to read side loaded epubs directly from the external SD card.

This might be the way you would want to go as well. I find the app very nice to read with/on.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
the external sd card on the Vox is not used except to import files.
this thread is a discussion of the internal vs external cards on the Vox...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=vox+external
That's not entirely true. I've watched movies stored on my microsd card. I still haven't figured out a way to download/read magazines on my microsd card, though...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
KenFisher
Connoisseur

Thanks for the information. That is what I thought after my testing with the Vox. I was hoping that someone had an idea that I had not thought of.

Ken
Old 12-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
The use of the externalSD card is different between apps. Some reader programs (Aldiko, for example) can read content from the extSD without and hassle. Movie players are often the same. However, very few of the built-in apps use the extSD that way.

If you have a certain type of content that you want to read from the extSD, just post what the file-type is and I (and the other here) can try to recommend an app for that.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote