Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
pops1959
pops1959 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Calibre can't find library

I'm having a problem with Calibre on my wife's computer. I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, if not please forgive me and re-direct me as necessary.

Yesterday my wife started up Calibre and there were no books showing. A quick check of the folder in which the books are stored confirmed that they were all there. Neither of us have any clue what has transpired to cause this.

My wife's computer is a Mac Powerbook G4 running Leopard. She is using Calibre version 0.7.28. The library folder is on an external drive, a Western Digital "My Book." Everything has worked fine for months.

When I tried the option to change the library I pointed Calibre to the correct folder (in this /Volume/My Book/epub books ) and I get a box with a large X in a red square and the notice "The Location /Volumes/My Book/epub books contains the current library".

I tried uninstalling Calibre and installing a fresh copy. That didn't help. I finally changed the name of the folder containing the book, and set up a new one called epub books and installed all the book again. This time Calibre showed all of the books, although much of the metadata for the books had been changed. We fixed all of the metadata, connected her Nook Color, and everything seemed to work just fine.

Just a bit ago she wanted to add some books and started Calibre. Once again, no book.
I really do not want to go through the trouble of re-loading all the books again (especially if this is going to occur again).

What is causing this? How to do I fix it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pops1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You might try to switch/create a (new) Library on the Local drive, then switch back to the Lost Library (using Create/Switch again).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
pops1959
pops1959 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You might try to switch/create a (new) Library on the Local drive, then switch back to the Lost Library (using Create/Switch again).
Thank you for the tip. Calibre lost it's library again this morning, so I tried what you suggested and it worked quickly and without problems at all.
Thanks again!.
pops1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops1959 View Post
Thank you for the tip. Calibre lost it's library again this morning, so I tried what you suggested and it worked quickly and without problems at all.
Thanks again!.
It is great that the work around get thing going.

The real question is: Why is this happening repeatedly.
Does the "My Book" go to sleep and Calibre starts with the drive still out to Nap-time?
Some MAC person will have to come up with a batch file that fires off and wakes the drive, pauses, Then starts Calibre.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote