Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #2416
varad297
varad297 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wifi
please help
varad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #2417
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by varad297 View Post
please help
The devs left SO support out for a reason (ethics, and potential legality issues in some cases). You can either add that support back in for your own use, or pay amazon an upgrade fee to remove SO for you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-15-2012 at 09:37 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #2418
hakunavn
hakunavn began at the beginning.

Device: kindel 3
hi there, can u help me out please!!! I hacked my kindle 3 by using your way but now it turn wrong. can u show me how to uninstall it?
hakunavn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #2419
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunavn View Post
hi there, can u help me out please!!! I hacked my kindle 3 by using your way but now it turn wrong. can u show me how to uninstall it?
Read the README file that came with the hack version you used. Use the uninstaller that came with it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #2420
hakunavn

where can i find the installer???????
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #2421
geekmaster

Quote:
Quote:
where can i find the installer???????
Probably on your hard drive? If not there, did you look where you got it when you installed it? Perhaps the first post in this thread? Did you look there?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #2422
hakunavn

yes this is the first time, this kindle is my birthday present from my brother and he installl everything for me but now he in the UK and i can't ask him
Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #2423
hakunavn

by the way i'm using version 0.26.N
Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #2424
geekmaster

Quote:
yes this is the first time, this kindle is my birthday present from my brother and he installl everything for me but now he in the UK and i can't ask him
The installer and uninstaller are in the same compressed file in the first post. There may be a README file on your kindle's USB drive in a folder for this hack. Most threads use their first post for updated downloads and installation instructions. Always look for a README file if you have questions.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #2425
hakunavn

can u help me out please, i'm suck of this >"< i just know my kindle is hacked by version 0.26.N
Old 08-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #2426
Meshelton
Meshelton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3wifi
Connecting trouble

Edit: I got it, just had to go into the network manager and manually change the address to 192.168.2.1
SOLVED
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but I'll give it a go.

I installed the usbnetworking bin through the upgrade method and it appears to have worked correctly but now I can't seem to establish a connection to the kindle through my laptop. My laptop is running ubuntu 12.04. When I connect my kindle to my laptop when it is in usbnetworking mode the laptop sees the device as Linux2.6.26-rt-lab126/fsl-usb2-udc RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget and tries to connect to it automatically. It says it's connecting and then pops up with the error "Activation of network connection failed". Then I try sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1 but the same thing keeps happening. I haven't changed any of the settings in the usbnetwork folder in the kindle. It's a kindle 3w.

I realize this is most likely a problem with my laptop but any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Meshelton; 08-19-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem
Meshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #2427
razorsoup
Enthusiast
razorsoup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Since all the 4.1.0 update + ss stories are making me sad, here we go:

BIG FAT WARNING: I don't have a K4, so this was dry-coded, and, more importantly, *UNTESTED*. It might very well not work, or worse, break something. Make sure you're ready/able to play with the diagnostics mode/debricking.

You'll need a jailbroken K4, of course, and it'll need to be clear of any previous SS/Fonts hack, and as always, not a KSO device. And freshly rebooted, to avoid weird issues.

The screensavers hack is probably way safer than the Fonts hack, which I anyway strongly recommend you *NOT* use, because I have no idea how it will interact with the KF8 stuff/the browser, and it's way more intrusive than the ScreenSavers hack, so, yeah....

On the bright side, I remember seaniko7 packaging these for the K4 a while ago, so there's hope that it actually does work .

If it is deemed safe enough, this'll eventually move to the first post with the rest, but in the meantime, consider it alpha untested crap. .

EDIT: The ScreenSavers hack has been moved to the front page (with proper K4/K5 binaries). The Fonts hack package here has also been updated to use proper K4/K5 binaries.
I have a Kindle 4NT that I had previously installed the SS hack 0.25.N and apparently somehow installed the Font hack 4.9.N. I just updated both to the newest versions (0.27.N and 5.1.N) and they both seem to be working great.

Just wanted to let you know since this thread doesn't have a lot of people reporting success or failure with the K4NT, especially with regards to the font hack. The only odd thing I've noticed is that there are 44 font files in the fonts folder where most of the font packs have 12 or so fonts. I'm not sure what the other 30 fonts are for or why they are even there. I'm not even sure if the font hack put those fonts there or if something else did.
razorsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #2428
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@razorsoup: Thanks for the feedback .

And, yes, the extra fonts are put there by the hack itself. Those are the full set of default fonts, and we need them. (The hack will disable itself if one of these is missing).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #2429
razorsoup
Enthusiast
razorsoup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@razorsoup: Thanks for the feedback .

And, yes, the extra fonts are put there by the hack itself. Those are the full set of default fonts, and we need them. (The hack will disable itself if one of these is missing).
Reading comprehension fail on my part, the first post in this thread clearly states that those fonts are supposed to be there and are needed.

I did find a small issue regarding the auto-reboot feature. If I create an empty reboot file in the "linkfonts" folder it usually reboots the Kindle after unplugging the USB cable. What I've found is that I have to eject it from Windows first, then unplug the cable for the reboot to work. If I just unplug it without ejecting from windows, the reboot doesn't happen. If this is the intended behavior then it seems to be working properly. If this isn't the intended behavior, then it at least encourages best practices by forcing me to eject from Windows first.

Putting the empty reboot file in the "linkss" folder doesn't seem to work no matter what I do. It doesn't reboot the Kindle and the file stays in that folder.
razorsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #2430
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@razorsoup: Yeah, the Fonts hack takes over auto-reboot duty if both hacks are installed . IIRC, it's mentioned somewhere either in the fonts or ss Hack doc. Glad to know it works properly on the K4, that's the thing I was worried about... (That, and the browser/KF8 handling for the Fonts hack) .

I've never really checked how the Kindle handled Windows' crappy USB stack, but I'm not *that* surprised to hear about it needing a proper eject to trigger the unplug event I'm hooking on the Kindle side... But the few Windows tests I did, I did with an eject (from Calibre, actually, which usually ensures that it *really* does an umount/eject...), yes .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet