Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Zac
Zac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
New Kobo Covers by Roots

Chapters/Indigo have unveiled covers for the tho Kobo. Five colours are available for $29.95 Cdn.

Red, Turquoise, Mikonos Blue, Black, and Orange

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/kobo-a....html?colour=1

I bought the blue and should have it by the 24th.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac View Post
Chapters/Indigo have unveiled covers for the tho Kobo. Five colours are available for $29.95 Cdn.

Red, Turquoise, Mikonos Blue, Black, and Orange

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/kobo-a....html?colour=1

I bought the blue and should have it by the 24th.
When you get it, could you tell us how good the case is? I'm hoping that it will be nice and stiff to protect it when I have it in my purse.

Also, anyone have any idea when the skins will come out? They say more accessories are coming "soon" but who knows how long 'soon' is.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
ava0775
ava0775 began at the beginning.

While I don't have one, I checked one out in the store the other day. It's not stiff at all. It's pebbled leather with a bit of perhaps neoprene inside. There is some padding but not much.
ava0775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
matrixsoul
matrixsoul began at the beginning.

I have the orange one, it is a perfect fit but the top of the device is flush with the opening. It will probably only protect against small impacts. The quality is good enough for it to last a few years.
matrixsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

I bought 2 the other day.

The pouch is really meant to protect the screen against scratches I think, when the unit is in a man bag or purse.
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
dwprice
dwprice doesn't litterdwprice doesn't litter

Device: kobo
I looked at these today. I was not happy with them.

1. They are soft. There is no protection for the screen. If I carried it around, my thumb/fingers would be pressing against the screen.

2. It's a sleeve. You have to pull the e-reader out to use it and stuff it back in. So when you're reading, you have to do something with the sleeve.

3. It's expensive for what it is.

I am currently using a DVD case. I got an older one with a thin plastic wall around the DVD (rather than the thick plastic) and cut that stuff out. The KOBO fits perfectly in it and is much better protected.
dwprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Bloggins
Bloggins
Bloggins began at the beginning.

And no pocket it would appear...

I would also want a pocket on it to keep the USB cable in. So, it needs to be more protective, needs to be a case that has to be physically opened (not a sleeve where it can just slide out on its own) and it needs a pocket on it to carry the accessories. (USB cable, charge adapter etc..).

That price is way to steep.

I still really like my Kobo though.

Cheers!!
Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

The pouch is fine for protecting the screen against getting scratched by car keys, makeup accessories, or whatever else you may happen to carry in your bag/purse.

It's not meant to protect against drops/sharp impacts.

Personally it worked perfect for me as I carry my Kobo around in a man bag which also has keys and other objects that could scratch the screen.
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ACK! More sleeves when what's needed is a true cover. Sure, a sleeve can protect while the reader is in the sleeve, but take the reader out of the sleeve to use and you have a naked reader that's more fragile and unprotected. This gives a greater chance of breaking should it be dropped. A real cover is what's needed, not a sleeve that doesn't fit the reader if it has a real cover. What a waste of money. If anyone has one on order and not yet received it, cancel the order and try to get a real cover to protect your reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
When I bought my sleeve the manager at Chapters said they are expecting a hard case at the end of the month. She couldn't say what day though. We'll see.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
When I bought my sleeve the manager at Chapters said they are expecting a hard case at the end of the month. She couldn't say what day though. We'll see.
A hard case? Like a sleeve only hard? If that's what it is, then it's still rather useless. What you need is a book type case to go on the reader.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
Zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
When you get it, could you tell us how good the case is? I'm hoping that it will be nice and stiff to protect it when I have it in my purse.

Also, anyone have any idea when the skins will come out? They say more accessories are coming "soon" but who knows how long 'soon' is.
I am exchanging the sleeve because of the one I got in the mail, was stitched fine, but the edges are glued as well and the glue job was not consistent.

As everyone states above the sleeve is fine for protecting scratches and minor impact falls. The outside is leather the inside is a neoprene type cushion. The top is exposed and probably could have impact damage if it fell that way.

Gelaskins has skins for Kobo at $19.95

http://www.gelaskins.com/catalog.php...&CategoryID=60

Last edited by Zac; 05-21-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: missed a word!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Skins do not protect as well as a proper case.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
Zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Skins do not protect as well as a proper case.
Agreed. Skins are just decorative. I am happy with the sleeve. Some will like the sleeve some like or need a case.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #15
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac View Post
Gelaskins has skins for Kobo at $19.95

http://www.gelaskins.com/catalog.php...&CategoryID=60
Kind of ironic that you can't get the Canadian flag skin for the Kobo

https://www.gelaskins.com/image.php?ImageID=422
corona is offline   Reply With Quote