Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
bpwhistler
bpwhistler began at the beginning.

Device: Palm III, IV, Treo, Centro, MacBook, iPod Touch...and someday a tablet
Adding non-Amazon content to Kindle for iPhone

This is a duplicate thread...I placed it in the Mobi forum before thinking it would fit better here:

I have a bunch of books I've purchased through the years for various formats. Through the "magic" of some python scripts, I can now read these books on any reader I choose. CURRENTLY I'm favoring K4Mac and K4iPhone. Depending on the upcoming Android tablets and updates to iPad and iBooks...this could change.

I don't have any problems getting content (not purchased from Amazon) into the K4Mac software. I can't figure out (or find anywhere) a method of getting these books into my K4iPhone software. Is it possible? if so...please share the good news!
bpwhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
While I haven't tried, I thought I read someone mention you can email yourself the documents through Amazon. But I believe this incurs a small fee.

An alternative, you might try loading them up in calibre, converting them to ePub, and loading them into iBooks, Stanza, readMe or another reader of your choice.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
bpwhistler

Thanks @scottjl...that's sort of the conclusion I came to while waiting for an answer. I've already converted a bunch of files in calibre and have synced some of them to Stanza.

I don't have an iPad yet...still waiting for the 2nd gen and/or Android to compare. iBooks isn't an option yet. Still playing with the little screen on my iTouch.

Stanza (for Mac and iPhone) seems to have a problem with links for TOC's and such...while Kindle for Mac handles them very well. I was hoping that the iPhone version of Kindle played well with links like it's big brother. But...it's a moot point in the end because I can't get the content into Kindle for iPhone...so Stanza it is for now.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
My understanding is that personal content can be emailed only to your Kindle device and are not viewable on any Kindle Apps. I had a couple of Kindle owners test this out for me. I was thinking of buying a broken Kindle off EBay so I could get a personal email account for my Kindle account but my testers said that the personal content only is viewable on the Kindle devices.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
bpwhistler

@da_jane...I've found the "not viewable" to be true for the iPhone app only. If you have Kindle for Mac or PC, all you have to do is put your non-DRM mobi files into the Kindle folder...restart Kindle...wala! All of your personal content is viewable on your desktop reader.

That's all good and well, but I don't do much reading on my desktop reader!

You're right with regards to K4iPhone...there doesn't appear to be any way to load personal content unless you jailbreak the iPhone...and then you have access to the file directory and can directly add content.

Thanks.
Advert