Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
ilovelabbies
ilovelabbies began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2, iPhone
Backing Up My Calibre Library

Hi, pretty new to the Kindle and Calibre.

I am really OCD about my books and want to know how I can back up my book library that is stored in Calibre.

Is there a certain path (directory) that I have to use to make sure that it is backed up correctly in case I need to restore? (I will be using a flash drive/memory stick.)

Thanks much

Last edited by ilovelabbies; 01-26-2010 at 01:04 PM.
ilovelabbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Under Preferences look to see what is the location of your calibre library folder. You want to make sure that this folder and all files and sub-folders are copied to protect your ebook library and associated metadata.

Calibre settings and preferences are stored elsewhere - the location tends to be OS specific. However these tend to be less important and can normally easily be re-instated from scratch if required
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
If you are truly AR, you may want to check out this thread. I am backed up 3 ways.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69788
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
evanmaastrigt
Connoisseur
evanmaastrigt doesn't litterevanmaastrigt doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelabbies View Post
(I will be using a flash drive/memory stick.)
If OCD means Obsessive Compulsive Disorder do not use such a device as your only backup. Just because they do not make any noise does not mean they can not fail. In fact, they fail more often than most people think. Having worked for a data recovery firm for 4 years I should know.

And if they fail they are extremely hard to recover (meaning you will be charged an arm and a leg (and your mother's)).

Use at least two, of different make, model and size, bought at different stores. And backup to the cloud (Dropbox, Ubuntu One, Gmail) as well.

After 4 years I became a little obsessive too.
evanmaastrigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
ilovelabbies

Thanks so much for your replies.

I went out and purchased an external hard drive that I can use for another backup along with the flash drive/memory stick. I will check into offline services. I know that Carbonite costs money, but something like that might be good.

Thanks again!! Your help is appreciated Have a great day.
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead.

I had a scary situation a while back when my computer crashed, and I had NOTHING backed up.

Was able to recover Calibre (over 900 books) and pictures, but it taught me a lesson.

I now do it two ways...........Carbonite, which is super simple and backs up for you, and an external hard drive, using
http://www.handybackup.com/

This way, no matter what happens, I should be able to recover my books.

www.dropbox.com is another free file sharing program which allows you to share books, pictures, etc, but also backs up whatever you put there. You get a certain amount of space free, and when you invite someone to 'share' your file, and they accept, your space is increased.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
ilovelabbies

So glad you was able to recover your files.

I went ahead and got the 15 day free trial for Carbonite and will probably end up getting. (I also have a lot of music, pictures, etc. on my laptop and was feeling quite unsafe.)

I have Norton too, but is limited to 2GB, it does backups regularly, but in no way does it capture all of my materials.

Already purchased an EHD and I also have flash drives, but will probably manually do the backup on them because I do not want my EHD hooked up to my computer all of the time since I am a laptop user.

Last edited by ilovelabbies; 01-31-2010 at 09:38 AM.