Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
Metal rim of 505 loose because of cover

I've been using my new Sony prs-505 for over a week now.
I use it everyday and carry it around in my backpack to college.

Today, at home, I decided to take the reader from its cover and I found that the top metal rim is loose on the top left side (near the on/off slider).
It moves a little back and forth but only on that side,the right side is tight.
Any ideas or comments about this? Anyone having a similar problem?

which cover should I get to ensure full protection of my reader since it is on a back pack all day?

Mayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
wayamauro
Connoisseur
wayamauro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KindleDX
Mayr, what kind of cover are you using?
wayamauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I would recommend the Book Armor case to protect your Reader in your backpack: http://www.amazon.com/BookArmor-Trav...3756341&sr=8-1 I recently ordered a second on when I handed my blue 505 down to my Dad and got myself a red 505. The best deal I found was at Amazon; no tax and free shipping,
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
Mine is a little loose on that side too. I think Sony had some kinks in their aluminum process, which might explain why they changed the material for the casing. The red casing slips a few millimeters near the top-right corner... like it isn't quite snapped together perfectly... also, there is a flaw in the silver on the bottom-left corner... the aluminum is actually wrinkled a bit.

I don't think it's a serious problem, for now. I wouldn't take it apart in an attempt to fix it, though, as that might make it worse...
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
Mayr
Connoisseur

I use the case that came with the ebook, this one:

The metal part is loose in the area near the hole where the case holds the reader.
The problem isn't very serious right now but I'm afraid it will get looser over time.
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
wayamauro
Connoisseur

I was asking also because I just bought a silicone case and I was wondering if they are safe or not. I mean, would it build heat around it or something while reading it?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayr View Post
which cover should I get to ensure full protection of my reader since it is on a back pack all day?

Everybody has their favourite choice for a cover & guess all will get posted here.

IMHO the most durable protection, and (as you are a student) the most economical is to use a 'DVD tin' this is designed to accept a single dvd in it's plastic wallet. I bought mine for just over £1. I did post this in another thread a while ago but I can't find it now.

It easily takes the PRS505 in the standard Sony wallet, leaving a gap of about 1/4" all round the edges. The thickness of the Sony wallet fits the tin exactly.

Line the 1/4" gap by sticking a strip of High Quality High density packaging foam polyurathene or rubber inside the tin edges. This holds the reader tightly in place and the metal tin protects from knocks on all sides better than any other material.

You can easily remove the reader or not to read as you wish

However you may want to spend up to $80 on something prettier but giving less protection.

Click to enlarge:-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0009.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	36370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0010.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	36371  

Last edited by columbus; 09-24-2009 at 06:17 AM.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #8
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayamauro View Post
I was asking also because I just bought a silicone case and I was wondering if they are safe or not. I mean, would it build heat around it or something while reading it?
Ereaders generally do not generate heat like a laptop
Old 09-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I carry my Sony (inside the outer pocket of my pack) in it's cover in a slip case I made from two foam computer note-book cases, one inside the other. One is neoprene and the other is sorbothane with a rigid plastic sheet between the two cases on both sides. I can remove or replace the reader by just opening the pack's zipper and drawing it out as the top of the slip case is open but about 1/2 inch longer than the reader's leather case for protection. Together the two cases are about one inch larger all around than the Sony's original cover, and with the two different densities of foam combined with the rigid plastic, the reader is protected from everything short of gunshot but still easily accessible! Not the cheapest cover around, but damn near one of the most effective for safety and convenience!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Check the screws on the back. Maybe one got loose.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Mayr
Connoisseur

Columbus I liked your idea very much! Because it also protects the reader from dust and sand and I really don't want to take off the original cover since it gives the reader a more "bookish" look. hehe

And what about the protection against pressure that could crack the screen? Does that tin protect against that?

I'm not sure where to get one do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Check the screws on the back. Maybe one got loose.
First thing I checked they seem fine. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:43 AM   #12
columbus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayr View Post
Columbus I liked your idea very much! Because it also protects the reader from dust and sand and I really don't want to take off the original cover since it gives the reader a more "bookish" look. hehe

And what about the protection against pressure that could crack the screen? Does that tin protect against that?

I'm not sure where to get one do....
IMO the combination of the Sony cover plus the tin provides far more screen protection than a soft cover, no matter how expensive or well padded, could.

A far more likely cause of screen damage is twisting / bending which the rigid tin prevents and soft covers can not. Especially when in a backpack.

I did a net search for DVD tin & got mine from a company in the UK via my daughter. Another source is DVD stores / Chinese import shops.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:16 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayamauro View Post
They are safe considering heat.
But they are designed mainly for protecting the housing against scratches.
It probably also protects when dropping the unit.
But the screen isn't protected against pressure.
When transporting the reader in your suitcase or backpack, I don't think the silicon cases really will protect the unit.

I've got the polycarbonat case for Kindle 2. Great for holding the reader in your hand. More or loss the same dimensions as the "naked" reader. It's very robust, but still no solution for the screen, which is the most "vulnerable" part of the reader.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:36 AM   #14
Mayr
Connoisseur

And what about a plastic film in the screen?
Do you guys think it will make the text less clear?
Old 09-26-2009, 12:24 AM   #15
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
They are safe considering heat.
But they are designed mainly for protecting the housing against scratches.
It probably also protects when dropping the unit.
But the screen isn't protected against pressure.
When transporting the reader in your suitcase or backpack, I don't think the silicon cases really will protect the unit.

I've got the polycarbonat case for Kindle 2. Great for holding the reader in your hand. More or loss the same dimensions as the "naked" reader. It's very robust, but still no solution for the screen, which is the most "vulnerable" part of the reader.
Thanks for the info. I was concerned about it, I just got myself a black one.
Oh another question guys, I have seen these vinyl stickers, decals to decorate your reader. Are they safe as well?