Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
forwhatitsworth
forwhatitsworth began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nora Roberts

I was showing my aunt the Kindle for iPhone app, and she told me I have to check out her favorite author; Norah Roberts... Anyone know anything about her/ have a recommendation for the first book of hers I should start out on?
forwhatitsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
She writes SF/crime books under the name "J.D. Robb" (all called "<something> in Death"), and romances under her own name. I've not read any of her romances, but her crime books are very good indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I second the rec for her crime books. Some of her romances are also crime/suspense type of books. She is very prolific. Generally there is a trilogy every year plus two JD Robb books and one or two other ones. I stay away from the straight romance ones as those tend to not be my thing, but most of those are her older titles. The newer ones generally tend to be on the suspense/romance side or the paranormal/romance side.

Honestly, there are so many, I can't remember. if you do a search on Amazon and pick out a few which sound interesting, I can give you more specific impressions on those. I have read most of them.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
I have just completed "Naked in Death"
It is one of the best Detective/WhoDoneIt books I've ever had the pleasure to read. Highly recommended.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast
shadowwolf36 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Digital
I would suggest the latest trilogy "Sign of Seven Trilogy" which starts with Blood Brothers, The Hollow and Pagan Stone. The trilogy that got me hooked was the key series, key of knowledge, key of light and key of valor
shadowwolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
metallimax
metallimax began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I'm a big fan of Vision in White and Northern Lights, Vision in White is about a Wedding Photographer and Northern Lights is about romance on the frozen tundra of Alaska... great books.
metallimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Another vote for the J.D. Robb books.

My co-worker, who's reading over my shoulder, says the 'Circle Trilogy' is good.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwhatitsworth View Post
I was showing my aunt the Kindle for iPhone app, and she told me I have to check out her favorite author; Norah Roberts... Anyone know anything about her/ have a recommendation for the first book of hers I should start out on?
Nora Roberts is one of my favourite authors. I would recommend Homeport, or Sanctuary to start. I absolutely loved her trilogy series... (1) Seaswept
(2) Rising Tides, and (3) Inner Harbor. These are three very heartwarming stories of three brothers Cam, Ethan, and Phil. In these books Nora Roberts really paints a picture of the harbour area and the really loving relationship of the three brothers. I still have the paperbook editions. I got them as a boxed set from Amazon a rew years ago now. Although it says it's a trilogy there is in fact a fourth book called Chesapeake Blue which tells the story of their adopted brother Seth. I have also read ALL of her In Death editions of her books as well. These are written under the name J.D. Robb. Happy reading. Enjoy.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Nora Roberts is my personal crack. When I need something light and escapist her novels are just right.

I'm not much into crime/mystery but I'll have to try one her alter ego's books.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
I'd highly recommend the JD Robb books as well. I read the first one a couple of months ago and immediately went and bought all of the other 'In Death' books. One of the best series I've read.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathos View Post
I'd highly recommend the JD Robb books as well. I read the first one a couple of months ago and immediately went and bought all of the other 'In Death' books. One of the best series I've read.
Bathos, I envy you. You have all of those J.D. Robb books ahead of you. I have her latest. I want to start reading it but keep putting it on the back burner. I hate to finish her books because then I have to control my patience until her next one comes out. You lucky duck. Enjoy.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #12
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
She writes SF/crime books under the name "J.D. Robb" (all called "<something> in Death"), and romances under her own name. I've not read any of her romances, but her crime books are very good indeed.
I have to second these. I enjoyed them very much and so did my boyfriend.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post

Bathos, I envy you. You have all of those J.D. Robb books ahead of you. I have her latest. I want to start reading it but keep putting it on the back burner. I hate to finish her books because then I have to control my patience until her next one comes out. You lucky duck. Enjoy.

Slan
Mag.
I must admit to rationing the books I've had them a couple of months and I've only read seven so far. I have to force myself to read other books in between to make them last longer. I love the stories, the characters and the humour. She has some classic one-liners

bathos
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote