Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #16
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin65 View Post
the percentage display is nice. however, when I read at night, let's say, I often flip through the pages of an actual book to see how many til the current chapter is finished. would like that feature on the k2 --pages to next chapter, based on current font size, etc...
That would be nice...
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin65 View Post
I often flip through the pages of an actual book to see how many til the current chapter is finished. would like that feature on the k2
The user guide says:
Quote:
The progress indicator also shows structural marks within content such as chapters, articles, or bookmarks.
However, I have not seen an example with chapter marks yet.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #18
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
The K1 provides the book size (final "location") in the "go to" menu, and the current location(s) on the screen. It doesn't display the percentage, but the info is there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think the K2 method looks optimal for MobiPocket books. You get the total length so you can calibrate your estimate of how long a book takes to read, you get percentage you have read so you can pace your reading if you need to finish before a specific day and you get a font independent reference if you need it. And you have a numerical value for the percentage so if you as me like to say that you should read 50 pages before doing something else you can do that now but use for example read 5% instead.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #19
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
i think this is a big improvement....having the percentage. however, I still think they should have page numbers....which change depending on font....in addition to location number.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
That would be nice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
i think this is a big improvement....having the percentage. however, I still think they should have page numbers....which change depending on font....in addition to location number.
That number on far right hand corner in the picture could have been were they put the page number, page 25 of 285. I wonder what that number on the far right represents!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #21
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
As a Sony user, I can attest to the fact that page numbers are totally useless. They only do two things for me. (1) I do the division in my head (page x of y) to figure out what percent I am through the book. Looks like the kindle (2, at least) would do that for me. And (2) the only other thing I use page numbers for is to get an idea of how long the book is. But I change font size depending how much light I have to read by, and how tired I am, so that number isn't terribly meaningful. I think Kindle's system is probably better.

Does the Kindle 1 use this "locator" thing? And does anyone know if the locator value has any meaning? Is it a string of random numbers/letters, or do they increase sequentially as you move through he book?
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #22
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
As a Sony user, I can attest to the fact that page numbers are totally useless. They only do two things for me. (1) I do the division in my head (page x of y) to figure out what percent I am through the book. Looks like the kindle (2, at least) would do that for me. And (2) the only other thing I use page numbers for is to get an idea of how long the book is. But I change font size depending how much light I have to read by, and how tired I am, so that number isn't terribly meaningful. I think Kindle's system is probably better.

Does the Kindle 1 use this "locator" thing? And does anyone know if the locator value has any meaning? Is it a string of random numbers/letters, or do they increase sequentially as you move through he book?
The locations progress linearly as you progress through a book, starting at 1 and ending wherever...
Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #23
europas_ice
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
The locations progress linearly as you progress through a book, starting at 1 and ending wherever...
LOL, so they are actually the exact same idea as Sony "page numbers", although they're not related to page turns but perhaps to numbers of words or something. Actually, that is way better than Sony page numbers. Then meaning of the final "location" would give you a real indication of the length of the book. If I understand you correctly, anyway.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #24
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:

I don't agree; I use the page number on my Sony to tell how long it will take for me to finish a book. I read in small font 99% of the time, If I'm reading a book in small font and it takes me 30 seconds to read a page and I'm on page 100 of the book, I can tell you from the minute how long it will take to read the remaining 187 pages. For example, last night I was reading in bed and my husband wanted to know how long will I read and I told him I have 27 pages left, I knew that because I could see I was on page 323 of 350.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #25
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It is a byte count into the file, split into 128 byte chunks. It is used to locate bookmarks, highlighting etcetera. Same on Kindle 1 and 2.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #26
europas_ice
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is a byte count into the file, split into 128 byte chunks. It is used to locate bookmarks, highlighting etcetera. Same on Kindle 1 and 2.
Wow, that is even more brilliant. I love it.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
I like the percentage much better compared to the dots. Hopefully they'll upgrade the firmware in Kindle 1 to do that in the future... in the meanwhile I'll save for a Kindle 2.
They won't. They've got to make something about the K2 better.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #28
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
The K1 provides the book size (final "location") in the "go to" menu, and the current location(s) on the screen. It doesn't display the percentage, but the info is there for you.
You do have a visual representation of how far you have to go, though. There is a series of dots along the bottom like a progress bar. They darken as you go along.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #29
nelamvr6
Zealot

Quote:
LOL, so they are actually the exact same idea as Sony "page numbers", although they're not related to page turns but perhaps to numbers of words or something. Actually, that is way better than Sony page numbers. Then meaning of the final "location" would give you a real indication of the length of the book. If I understand you correctly, anyway.
A "location" will be the same regardless of the size of the text...
Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #30
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I don't agree; I use the page number on my Sony to tell how long it will take for me to finish a book. I read in small font 99% of the time, If I'm reading a book in small font and it takes me 30 seconds to read a page and I'm on page 100 of the book, I can tell you from the minute how long it will take to read the remaining 187 pages. For example, last night I was reading in bed and my husband wanted to know how long will I read and I told him I have 27 pages left, I knew that because I could see I was on page 323 of 350.
Me too The only tricky part is sometimes there is ten pages of publishers info.

I just finished a bundle - that was tricky. I had to bookmark my page when I started a book, go to table of contents, find when the next book started, then go back to the bookmark.

It was so worth it though. I'm loving bundles
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote