Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Chandrakumar
Chandrakumar began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Hi Friends, here is a newcomer

I am not a youngster as most of you are. My age is 65 and is a senior citizen of India. At present located at a City in the southernmost part of India.

A couple of days before, my son gifted me a brand new Kindle. This has instigated me to join this forum.

Blogging is my passtime. I spent at least a couple of hours daily for blogging in my native laguage which is called Malayalam.(UTF-8).

Before my son returns to New York I want to confirm from you friends, whether I will be able to read all the contents of the posts of my fellow bloggers in UTF-8 in Kindle. If not possible, I have to return the device through my son. There is no kindle wireless service in my area, which I do not mind. I can easily convert the UTF-8 blogs into pdf format. All I want now is to transfer those pdf files to the Document folder in Kindle in a suitable kindle format.

I had sent some of the saved pdf files to myname@free.kindle.com for conversion, to whcih I am told that conversion is not possible by them. Hence I am approaching you for help. I can continue the membership of this forum only if I am able to use my kindle for reading blogs and for the music files. Music files in MP3 is not a problem for me.

In the circumstances, kindly advice me as to how to convert my pdf text files in UTF-8 format into Kindle compatible format.

If your advice is in the negative side, well and good, I can return the kindle immediately. My son returns to N.Y by 22nd of this month. --- thank you.
Chandrakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome! What a nice son you have!

Sorry, but I know nothing about Kindle. I'm sure the Kindle people will be able to answer your questions.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Welcome Chandrakumar!!

Anyone ... feel free to slap me around if I'm wrong on this point, but .... there is a free program out there called "mobipocket creator" that will take html files and convert them into books that can be read on a Kindle.

I can't swear as to the formatting, but you should necessarily have to create pdf files in order to download blog pages to your Kindle.

That said, it is my understanding that the Kindle can read pdf, although I don't know how well that works either.

Your best bet is to experiment with it before your son leaves. That way you'll know for certain.

And, for the record, there are a lot of us older types around here.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Chandrakumar and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have used the feature yet, but if you download the Mobipocket reader software for PC, it is able to download RSS feeds (blogs) and convert them into Mobipocket formated files... which the Kindle will read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings Chandrakumar! Welcome to the forums.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
Chandrakumar

Thank you friends for your prompt replies. In fact, I had saved my blogs into *.pdf, *.html and *.txt files and had sent them to Kindle for conversion into Kindle format so that I can read them through kindle. This is the procedure Kindle adapts for the areas not covered by Kindle wireless service.

To my requests, I received the following reply from kindle support:

'Kindle uses display technology similar to that of a Web browser and supports the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 8859-1 character set, which is based on the Latin languages. The only characters from this set not currently supported are: spades, clubs, hearts, up-arrow, down-arrow, alpha, beta, and gamma. If you have digital content that you did not purchase from Amazon.com but would like to view on Kindle, you should be able to view it if the file is free of digital rights management software, uses characters from the ISO 8859-1 character set, and is in one of the supported file formats'

Since I am not a technocrat I need to be informed more about this. All I want to know now is whether Kindle support non english languages under UTF-8.

Common advice me. I have 7 days more to decide whether I should keep the kindle with me or return it.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Hello Chandrakumar,
A Korean member has noticed that Asian fonts are not available on the kindle. See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24867
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Chandrakumar

Thank you Patricia for the response. I have since reliably found out that Kindle does not support non-latin languages. I am using Unicode Character sets for my blogs and Kindle at present does not support Unicode fonts. Hence my precious gift from my son is going to be a white elephant for me. What a pity?

Tags
conversion pdf prc