Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #46
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Strange that nobody mentioned this yet: out of my cloud books I tried to download to my device, more than half could not be downloaded via 3G and I had to use Wifi for that. I am not sure what the file size limit is, but it's too bad they can't make an exception when it is their own books you are trying to download. I understand personal documents having to be limited, or browsing, but books should all be downloadable via 3G, or at least you should get a warning that if you purchase a specific book, you will need Wifi to download it.

My books are all rather hefty, with many of them having a map in the beginning of them (SciFi, Fantasy and Utopian).
I was upgraded to 3G because of my screen issues, so it's just too bad for me, but if I had paid extra for it, I would probably be livid about it.
Hmm that's a shame. I wonder what could be causing that. I haven't had that issue with my 3G PW. Maybe a call to CS might be worth a try?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #47
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
I understand personal documents having to be limited.
Are they really? I've been thinking about getting the Paperwhite myself, and I've between debating whether or not to get the 3g or wifi version. The majority of the books I read are "personal documents" that I have uploaded to the cloud. Having the 3g would be worthless for me if you can't download personal documents with it.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #48
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Are they really? I've been thinking about getting the Paperwhite myself, and I've between debating whether or not to get the 3g or wifi version. The majority of the books I read are "personal documents" that I have uploaded to the cloud. Having the 3g would be worthless for me if you can't download personal documents with it.
It sounds like it is a pretty easy decision for you. If most your books are already uploaded to the cloud, then you don't need 3G. Just load the kindle up with enough reading material that will last you at least til next time you are near a wifi connection. Does not matter if the 3G download would be free or not. If you decide spur of the moment to purchase a book (other than amazon), because you run out in the middle of nowhere, then you could not upload it to the cloud until you have access to the internet - and then you can connect to wifi or sideload the new book.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Having the 3g would be worthless for me if you can't download personal documents with it.
You can do, but Amazon charge you for it. 15c per MB, if I remember correctly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #50
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can do, but Amazon charge you for it. 15c per MB, if I remember correctly.
Here is information regarding 3G Kindle Personal Document fees:

Quote:
Kindle Personal Documents Service Fees

Kindle Personal Documents Service doesn't charge fees for delivery of personal documents to Kindle devices over Wi-Fi or to supported Kindle reading applications.

Fees for the Kindle Personal Documents Service via Whispernet are based on the size of the file submitted (before compression if you use a .zip file), your country, and where you're accessing Whispernet. Personal documents service fees will only be charged for documents that are successfully delivered to your Kindle device via Whispernet. Personal documents service fees are rounded up to the next whole MB and apply to each personal document delivered via Whispernet to each Kindle device.
  • For Kindle device users living in the United States, the Kindle Personal Documents Service fee via Whispernet is $.15 per megabyte while inside the United States and $.99 per megabyte when traveling outside the United States.
  • For Kindle device users living outside the United States, the Kindle Personal Documents Service fee via Whispernet is $.99 (USD) per megabyte.
  • Kindle Personal Documents Service is not available via Whispernet in Canada. Please see Transferring Personal Documents via USB for information about e-mailing personal documents to your computer for USB transfer to your Kindle device.
Note: You can also send your personal documents via e-mail as attachments to [name]@free.kindle.com. To have a document converted to Kindle format (.azw), the subject line should be "convert." Kindle Personal Documents Service will attempt to deliver your personal documents to your Kindle device via Wi-Fi when connected, and to the e-mail address associated with the Amazon account to which the device is registered. You can use the e-mail to download the file to your computer and transfer it to your Kindle device using a USB connection.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #51
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
If you have sent your personal doc to the Amazon Cloud over wifi, you can then download it to your device over 3G AT NO CHARGE in the US. I have done it. My settings do not allow any delivery charges, just in case.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #52
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
If you have sent your personal doc to the Amazon Cloud over wifi, you can then download it to your device over 3G AT NO CHARGE in the US. I have done it. My settings do not allow any delivery charges, just in case.
Thank you, good information. Have some karma. Now I know I want a 3G PW, and since I want the cover with it I'll have to buy the ad-free version. The $20 extra is the only way to have the cover working as intended, correct? (without jailbreaking and hacking the special offers away - if that's even possible) I want the cover to put the PW to sleep and wake up, but I would hate having to swipe to get rid of the ad before I can read after opening the cover.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #53
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the Amazon cover, and it is really nice. I have the special offers. I do have to tap the screen to get to my screen after I open it. That doesn't bother me. What I like even better is I can shut the cover and know that it's going right to sleep. Other touch readers that I have, if I close the cover without turning it off first, it will do things like change the page etc. So to me the closing ability is even better than the opening ability.

There may be some covers that can do the same thing. I have even heard of people attaching small magnets to non-Amazon covers, slipping them inside covers, etc, and the same thing working. Haven't tried it myself.

I should clarify my earlier post. My only 3G Kindle is a keyboard model, not the Paperwhite. Perhaps someone with a paperwhite can test the downloading of archived pdocs over the 3G and report the results here.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #54
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Strange that nobody mentioned this yet: out of my cloud books I tried to download to my device, more than half could not be downloaded via 3G and I had to use Wifi for that. I am not sure what the file size limit is, but it's too bad they can't make an exception when it is their own books you are trying to download. I understand personal documents having to be limited, or browsing, but books should all be downloadable via 3G, or at least you should get a warning that if you purchase a specific book, you will need Wifi to download it.

My books are all rather hefty, with many of them having a map in the beginning of them (SciFi, Fantasy and Utopian).
I was upgraded to 3G because of my screen issues, so it's just too bad for me, but if I had paid extra for it, I would probably be livid about it.
"could not be downloaded": what are the symptoms? do you get an error message, or do you just get tired of waiting and cancel?

I used to have a problem sometimes with my K2 because the cellular provider only had EDGE coverage at my house, and even that would fluctuate in strength, dropping off entirely at times. The larger the item to download, the greater the chance that the download would fail at some point. But there was no way to cancel the download, and Kindle would keep trying. And while in this failure mode, nothing else could be sent or downloaded. I remember hopping in the car and driving to where there was 3G coverage so that the download could complete successfully and the download queue 'unblocked'.

Haven't had that problem with more recent 3G Kindles, and rarely find myself outside of 3G coverage, but I can imagine that in your case a connection problem might be involved (either with the provider or with Kindle hardware).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #55
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Are you sure that you have it working over 3G? I just tried this using my Kindle Keyboard 3G and my document wouldn't download until I reconnected to my wifi (I had set my Kindle to forget my network before I started). I have Whispernet delivery enabled in my account settings but my charge limit is set to $0.00.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #56
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I did it over the summer. I will try again later today.

Ok, just did it successfully. However my settings are not the same as yours. Mine says Whispernet Delivery over 3G (fees apply) Not Enabled.

So I can't explain why I can download a personal document, unless it's the fact that it's already in my archive. Not something that I am trying to email over 3G.

Last edited by booklover6; 11-13-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #57
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
So just to confirm that we're doing the same thing, you're downloading a document that you previously emailed to yourself, and you're downloading from the Archived Items on your Kindle, correct? And this document is something that you didn't buy from Amazon? If all these apply and you're still able to download over 3G without incurring charges, then that's very strange because the terms of service specifically state that you'll be charged for doing this.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #58
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I have books that I bought from fictionwise, and send to the archive, usually using the send-to-kindle app on my computer. So they are not actually emailed. Then I can download them over the 3G from the archive with no charge. I just double checked my credit card.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #59
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
"could not be downloaded": what are the symptoms? do you get an error message, or do you just get tired of waiting and cancel?

I used to have a problem sometimes with my K2 because the cellular provider only had EDGE coverage at my house, and even that would fluctuate in strength, dropping off entirely at times. The larger the item to download, the greater the chance that the download would fail at some point. But there was no way to cancel the download, and Kindle would keep trying. And while in this failure mode, nothing else could be sent or downloaded. I remember hopping in the car and driving to where there was 3G coverage so that the download could complete successfully and the download queue 'unblocked'.

Haven't had that problem with more recent 3G Kindles, and rarely find myself outside of 3G coverage, but I can imagine that in your case a connection problem might be involved (either with the provider or with Kindle hardware).
The message that I get is that I need Wifi in order to download the books. I can rule out a device malfunction: this is not specific to only one PW device, as I have had the pleasure to test a few, being caught in a replacement merrygoround. Again, some books I can download via 3G, while when trying others, I am being prompted to use Wifi.
Could it be that with the PW, they limit the book file size, while with the KK they don't?

Last edited by xendula; 11-13-2012 at 08:32 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #60
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
The message that I get is that I need Wifi in order to download the books. I can rule out a device malfunction: this is not specific to only one PW device, as I have had the pleasure to test a few, being caught in a replacement merrygoround. Again, some books I can download via 3G, while when trying others, I am being prompted to use Wifi.
Could it be that with the PW, they limit the book file size, while with the KK they don't?
very possible. especially since internet (browsing) is unlimited on KK, the KT can't browse over 3G. Maybe I just get a normal PW w/o 3G and screw the syncing benefit.