Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Submission Fees

I was preparing a submission for Brevity (short 750 word non-fiction) and then I took a closer look at the submission guidelines and find that they have recently gone over to charging a $3 fee for submissions. They do pay $45 if published but I just can't see myself paying $3 just to have some volunteer wannabe writer reject my work.

Thoughts?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Hmm, I'm not a writer so maybe I should abstain from answering.

However, I've read so many writing books that I think I can qualify as "advice giver (amateur class)".

So, my advice is to NOT do it.

From all the books I've read, the idea is to never pay for submissions as the point is for them to pay you.

And at $3 a submission all they need is 15 submissions and they have their text essentially for free, any more than 15 submissions and they're making money.

But please take note of my first sentence...
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're certainly welcome to have an opinion. I have one about just about everything, just ask anyone.

I agree. I understand they want to limit the inappropriate submissions, but jeezus that's their job and from what I read in the comments the first readers are volunteers anyway. It's not like they are paying someone to read the slushpile.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I would certainty be hesitant but I don't know enough of what they do with your submission.

Will they critique it and tell you how it relates to what they are looking for and that sort of thing? Some writers especially when new might relish that kind of feedback. The second try might be a success. Is the second try also charged the fee?

Does the process continue if you pass the first muster? Are there other levels? More feedback? More fees?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I wouldn't pay. You're doing them a favour by submitting your manuscript, they're not doing you a favour by reviewing it and (possibly) rejecting it.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I personally wouldn't. I sympathize with their slush-pile readers (I assume they have them), but I just wouldn't.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
What I've always adhered to is the saying that money should always flow TO the writer. I bet there are many other publications that will take a look at your work for free!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
bmcox
Connoisseur
bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I assume that Brevity is a journal. If it's not a (reputable) contest I wouldn't submit. There are plenty other markets out there that do not charge. Use New Pages or Duotrope (although you'll soon have to pay for them) to find them.
bmcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
kennyc

Thanks for all the comments on this, I wasn't looking specifically for advice (I'd already decided not to send to Brevity) but more wanted to open up the topic for discussion in case others here were/are interested.

And yes Brevity is an on line journal started by Dinty Moore that publishes very short < 750 word creative non-fiction essays.

I was actually just brushing up on some of these markets as that last posting came through, so thought I'd respond.

Another market for short non-fiction of various types is the Christian Science Monitor. < 800 words mostly.

Also Creative NonFiction publishes various types of essays of various lengths another good market.

And also, yes Duotrope is a good place/has been a good place to find markets, but as you mention they are going to a paid subscription model so they'll also be off my list as well starting 1/1/2013

This page lists a few markets for Personal Essays: http://www.writing-world.com/creative/fifteen.shtml

If anyone is interested in other creative non-fiction markets I could list some or feel free to post any you have found of interest.