Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #136
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Cool New font (Garamond) on the block

Those are Garamond files. The Regular and Italic fonts were replaced by their Semi Bold equivalents in order to improve readability.
They are available on Wiki too.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Garamond.zip (215.7 KB, 1685 views)

Last edited by jglerner; 03-15-2012 at 12:02 AM.
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #137
jglerner
Connoisseur

@ixtab,

Help!...
I´m deeply sorry if it happened before and already answered but I´m a bit lost. I read all this thread but didn´t got any clue about.
I had to uninstall fonthack and all seemed to be smooth. That´s the short story.
Then I deleted the "fonthack" directory . Now, I want to reinstall all my stuff because I had to move some books back and forth and I want my fonts again.
After a general cleaning, I wanted to reinstall the 1.2 fonthack and I get an *update error: 3*, the update was not successful and stuff.
Yes, my bad, I had a backup but had also a HD crash, so I can´t return to that point.
Now I have all my KT safe but the fonthack.
So, at this moment I uninstalled it and have a "plain" KT.
I did a couple of boots and waited a pair of hours to reinstall the fonthack at no avail, I keep getting the same message (error 3, as above).
That´s not the end of the world but it´s quite close...
Dumb, Me!...
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #138
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
for update did you use 'update' from the menu or just 'reboot'? (don't remember what names exactly do they have).
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #139
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
As varnie said: update error 3 is what you get when you reboot instead of using "Update your Kindle" from the settings menu. BTW: why did you "have" to uninstall it in the first place?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #140
jglerner
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
As varnie said: update error 3 is what you get when you reboot instead of using "Update your Kindle" from the settings menu. BTW: why did you "have" to uninstall it in the first place?
That's a great question! I have no answer for that, just because, maybe...
I'll try to "Update" instead of reboot.
Actually I think I did I, who knows (or , maybe, remembers?)
I'll let you know later if it worked a little bit later.

Crossing my fingers and making a wish...
A little dance of rain an so on...

EDIT 1 : Installed successfully and tried to build the .conf files. I think I did it too fast and dindn't wait for the .conf files be built. Then I tried to uninstall and start from the beginning as the .conf files were not created.
Successfully uninstalled font hack.
New boot and tried to reinstall again, now I have this message:
"Error
An error occurred while tried to open this item. if the problem persists, please contact Kindle Custom Service... and so on."
There's also a box marking "Close"
Now I did a Menu, Settings, Restart as there's no update.
Now I can enter on fonthack and got the same triangles with !
So at this moment I'm on System, Rebuilt font cache and waiting "several minutes", whatever this mans, so later I'll post another update on this.

Now I need to flight to the hospital to visit my father, so , Rebuilt font cache will run for , at least, half an hour.
I'll keep you informed.

Last edited by jglerner; 03-15-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #141
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Just for information. Tried to install the FontHack on a K4, no success. Installed the files via WinSCP, K4 resists to open the "FontHack - Document".
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #142
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Just for information. Tried to install the FontHack on a K4, no success. Installed the files via WinSCP, K4 resists to open the "FontHack - Document".
Could you give a bit more detail about what exactly the error message says?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #143
jglerner
Connoisseur

Red face Hallelluya ixtab!

A big success deserves a new post!

Installed the (till now) 27 available fonts on Wiki. It took a while but from A to U (Antiqua to Ubuntu) all fonts are working!

You must believe! I did!

It took a while to "Rebuild font cache" but then I "Restart(ed) framework" and voila, my Kindle has the fonts I have chosen.

It was unclear (to me) that I had to initialize each font, one by one, and then apply the "Restart framework", but the older you get, the wiser you become.

So, long story ended , Kindle is f o n t h a c k e d!

ixtab I owe you a beer!

EDIT: I forgot initially to select each font and, doing so, afterwords "Rebuilt font cache" and then "Restart framework".

Last edited by jglerner; 03-15-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #144
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglerner View Post
A big success deserves a new post!

Installed the (till now) 27 available fonts on Wiki. It took a while but from A to U (Averia to Ubuntu) all fonts are working!

You must believe! I did!

It took a while to "Rebuild font cache" but then I "Restart(ed) framework" and voila, my Kindle has the fonts I have chosen.

It was unclear (to me) that I had to initialize each font, one by one, and then apply the "Restart framework", but the older you get, the wiser you become.
I just hope that you initialized all of them one after the other (yes, this is required), then afterwards rebuilt the cache once, then restarted the device once?
(README.txt has a few notes about batch installs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglerner View Post

So, long story ended , Kindle is f o n t h a c k e d!

ixtab I owe you a beer!
Well, it just so happens that I have one in my fridge, which I'll take... Unfortunately nobody managed to implement a beer bottle teleporter in the forum yet, so... just use the Karma button below my nickname - thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #145
jglerner
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well, it just so happens that I have one in my fridge, which I'll take... Unfortunately nobody managed to implement a beer bottle teleporter in the forum yet, so... just use the Karma button below my nickname - thanks!
I've already done, a few days ago, so I didn't get the opportunity to add to your karma,
I hope someone else add you some karma on my behalf...

Any way other than a beer you have my gratitude..

And I'll have a beer this evening (we're GMT -3hs.) on your behalf...

Prost!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #146
lukeroge
Enthusiast
lukeroge began at the beginning.

Quote:
Alright, with the help of NiLuJe, bhaak, and varnie, I think I found a solution for most of the issues we're having.

I have packaged a new version of libfreetype.so. As far as I can see, this fixes the following issues:
  • blank (completely empty) fonts don't occur anymore -- at least for me.
  • actual font sizes of different fonts are much more homogeneous
  • even the blanket screens (USB connected/update/restart messages) are now using the configured sans-serif font.

Download is here. Install/uninstall as usual. You may get weird behavior right after installation/uninstallation (I don't know why that is). Simply restart the Kindle once or twice more in that case.

Note that it is not an absolute requirement to install this. The Kindle and the Font hack app will obviously still work if it's not installed, but with a few known flaws.
I've installed this hack and I disliked the new font rendering, so I removed it.
Please help me make it look like the original again :/

(edit: turns out I'm getting "Update Error 3" when trying yo uninstall it, and I was too distracted to notice it the first time. any ideas?

Last edited by lukeroge; 03-16-2012 at 02:03 AM.
lukeroge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #147
ixtab
(offline)

Use "update your Kindle" instead of just rebooting.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #148
lukeroge
Enthusiast

Quote:
Use "update your Kindle" instead of just rebooting.
I'm pretty damn sure I did that, but I'll give it another go. I might end up keeping it, I think its growing on me.
(the reason I dislike it is the way it changes the default sans-serif font. So far serif ones look very nice though, and extremely smooth)
Old 03-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #149
jglerner
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeroge View Post
I'm pretty damn sure I did that, but I'll give it another go. I might end up keeping it, I think its growing on me.
(the reason I dislike it is the way it changes the default sans-serif font. So far serif ones look very nice though, and extremely smooth)
Have a try on DejaVu Sans Condensed at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=99, I like this font for Non Serif, maybe you'd like it too.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #150
lukeroge
Enthusiast

I'm still unable to remove the modified freetype (and yes, I did choose update), any ideas? :/

(If anyone knows another way to make the sans-serif font rendering look more like the original, please tell me)

Tags
kindle touch hacks