Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
Check Kindle eBook DRM

Hi guys. I need a little help. I JUST downloaded Python for the first time ever. Installed it. Downloaded this script, put both files in the same folder as my eBook, and now i have no idea how to proceed.

I tried typing "echo off
for %a in (*.azw) do kindledrm "%a"
echo on" into cmd but that didn't do anything. Sorry for being so clueless. A step by step would be extremely helpful and MUCH appreciated. Thanks.
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is an old script that looks for the DRM flag in AZW/MOBI files and prints out "DRM" or "DRM-free" and then the filename. It still seems to work, even for newer versions of Amazon DRM.

I suggest first confirming that it works on one .azw file (with echo on):
Code:
kindledrm filename.azw
If not, then there is something wrong with your Python install.

Last edited by wallcraft; 03-11-2012 at 06:04 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You might also find this more sophisticated script useful. It not only identifies the DRM, but also the kind of eBook.

Hmm.. come to think of it, it probably now needs updating for Print Replica and KF8 files... always something new!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guys, you think i know more then i actually do lol.

All i get is this anytime i do anything with python

Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast

I literally just downloaded Python. I no almost nothing about scripts or how to use them as well. But i am good at following instructions .
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See Install Python Windows I suggest downloading 2.7.2 (don't download the 3.X.X versions).

Note that if your goal is to run DRM-stripping scripts, it may be simpler to use Calibre and the 3rd party DRM-stripping plugins that can be added to it. These are written in Python, but don't require Python to be installed on your PC. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more info.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Do you even need Python installed to use the Calibre tools? It's been so long since I installed everything, I don't remember....

I suggest you do the Calibre + tools instead. Less fiddling around. Google Apprentice Alf.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast

Alright, downloaded Python 2.7.2, and something called wxpython (i think), then i followed the guide and added ";c:\Python27;c:\Python27\Tools\Scripts" to PATH. Now what?

Last edited by Big McLargeHuge; 03-11-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargeHuge View Post
Alright, downloaded Python 2.7.2, and something called wxpython (i think), then i followed the guide and added ";c:\Python26;c:\Python26\Tools\Scripts" to PATH. Now what?
If you download ActiveState's Python 2.7.2 for Windows, you shouldn't need to manually add anything to your path... the install will take care of that for you.

I'm not sure what you have going on but you seem to be adding Python 2.6 folders to your path, yet you indicated you downloaded/installed Python 2.7.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-11-2012 at 07:43 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you download ActiveState's Python 2.7.2 for Windows, you shouldn't need to manually add anything to your path... the install will take care of that for you.

I'm not sure what you have going on but you seem to be adding Python 2.6 folders to your path, yet you indicated you downloaded/installed Python 2.7.
My mistake. Fixed now. Still have no idea how to proceed.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargeHuge View Post
Still have no idea how to proceed.
If you look at any folder containing .py files using file explorer, they should show up with yellow and blue (python) icons.

If you type python in a command window, it should come back with a 2.7.2 header and >>>
Type quit() to exit.

Now try
Code:
kindledrm filename.azw
or pdurrant's
Code:
drmcheck filename.azw
Note that the command window has filename completion, so type a partial filename and a tab to complete it.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast

Old 03-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader

Don't run kindledrm inside python, just type kindledrm file.azw

The command processor will recognize that it needs to invoke python to run kindledrm.py.

Assuming this works, then so will the original "for" command from the 1st post.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #14
mtaylor100
mtaylor100 began at the beginning.

Device: none
If not, then there is something wrong with your Python install.
mtaylor100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You might also find this more sophisticated script useful. It not only identifies the DRM, but also the kind of eBook.

Hmm.. come to think of it, it probably now needs updating for Print Replica and KF8 files... always something new!
Thanks for that Paul. Is there a way to do more than one file or must they be done individually.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote