Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
MrSands
MrSands began at the beginning.

Device: ebookman
Playstation Portable as an E-reader? Or other cheap ones

I have been using my good old franklins ebookman for about 5 years now and it has served me quite well, I would convert pdf files into txt files and read from there. However I have come to some books that are heavily graphics based and I think its time to move on to newer devices.

I was thinking of getting a PDA or a Smartphone, however I wont be using the extra features since I have a phone that I like and I'm not much of a digitally organized person, i prefer to write things down. Being in Australia its very very hard for me to find the dedicated electronic ink devices. So I'm thinking outside the box, a Playstation portable or an iPod touch.

Since the introduction of the iphone update I think the ipod is out and so my main contender is the PS Portable. Its cheap now standing at like $250 at some stores, much cheaper than smartphones or PDAs. I know there is a program for it called Bookr that can read PDF files, so im wonder if anyone has any experience with it - How good is it? How is the battery life, how easy is it to transfer files and anything I should know about.

Also does anyone have other suggestions for cheap (under $500) devices that can read PDF files?
MrSands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does it really have to read PDF all that well?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
If you are considering using a PSP to read PDF and are willing to spend up to $500, I think you have several choices. The Nokia N800 would do a better job than a PSP, as it has a better screen and built-in software for PDF. A used Tablet PC would be even better, although the battery life and weight would be worse. Both of these choices would be color, like the PSP. For greyscale, I would think that any of the current and upcoming e-ink readers that handle PDF would be a nice compromise. Of all the choices, only the Tablet PC would allow you to view a PDF without zooming, panning, or other manipulations.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
MrSands

Ive never heard of the n800 before, Ill do some research on it
Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Nokia 770 or the newer N800 are good choices for reading e-books. Both run FBReader, which you can try out on a Windows or Linux Desktop.

The FBReader web site, includes screenshots of FBReader on the Nokia 770 which also serves as a mini-tutorial. Note that when you click on the images you get full (800x480) size versions. These will most likely appear bigger on your desktop screen than on the device, because the 770 has about 220 pixels per inch.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have a look at
GP2X - a linux based portable gaming decice that is COMPLETELY open.

They even includes rudimentary e-book reader in the base software
there is insane number of ported games, console / old computers emulators ...
It can even play divix and xvid files out of box without reencoding.
You receive complete sources plus Software Developement Kit

It runs on two AA batteries, so you can change them on the go.
It has got USB connector (I think active and passive)
It has even S-video connector
It's cheap. Just £119.99

http://www.gbax.com/main.pl
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
MrSands

thats pretty good, but i doubt i will find that where I live,

I just tried out my friend's psp with Bookr installed and it was very readable, Im going to try and see if I can try out a nokia n800 to compare it
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Baumann
Baumann began at the beginning.

Device: N95
You will spend only 160$ for PSP as a PDF reader, and it does that job very well, I am using that feature everyday. So I would recommend to go for a PSP, and you can also play games/watch videos/listen to music on it aswell.
Baumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
devils.master
devils.master began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia
Why you want to Get the Playstation Portable for the e-reading when you can get an new e-reader at a lot lower price. ew e-readers are capable of displaying hig quilty graphics. So if you want to play games on it too than it is different prospective.
devils.master is offline   Reply With Quote