Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Need opinion on K3 for use with epub exclusively

My Nook crapped out on me; though it was a great reader while it lasted.

I bought and returned the Nook Color since I found reading on e-ink is better for me personally. So here's my situation.. my e-library is all epub (drm free, after I paid for my books) and really only want an e-reader but would love the better screen and better battery of K3. My question is for those with experience with K3 and epubs.. I know I can use Calibre or Duokan but.. how is it in practice? Is there formatting issues?

Thanks in advance.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Not many formatting issues at all; there is now a choice to ignore margins with Caliber. I am told this works very good , but I am using an old version using the below command. if you go under Convert options and under the look and feel tab enter this in the box, and I found it works 99% of the time.

body, p, div, .calibre1, .calibre2, .calibre3, .calibre4, .calibre5, .calibre6, .calibre7 {
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
}
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I often convert epubs to mobi and I haven't come across any issues related to the conversion yet. By that, I mean that any formatting issues were present in the epub file and not a result of the conversion. I use Calibre for the conversions.

The reason I do so many conversions is because of Smashwords - their "Meat Grinder" churns out decent epubs, but the mobis offered are often lacking in metadata, cover, formatting or all of the above. So, I download the epub and do my own conversion and get much better results. And I also like to shop at B&N sometimes, so those obviously need conversion.

There are format differences that could affect specific files, but I haven't come across any yet.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
Personally I haven't had any problems with conversions from epub to mobi. The formatting seems to be retained.

Correct me if I'm wrong but currently in the market there's no e-reader out there that beats kindle 3 in screen quality (e-ink pearl) and battery life (~10-30 days).

But look at the "News" Section in the forums. I read of some cool new e-readers that may come out in the future. Maybe you could consider waiting for those devices? In that case, it depends on when you want your e-reader (now or in a couple of months).
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, cfrock. The new Sony readers have the e-ink pearl screen, excellent battery life and read EPUB files so you wouldn't have to convert your library to MOBI files. You might want to evaluate the Sony models as another option.

On the other hand, I have not had any issues with conversions from EPUB to MOBI to use on my Kindle. I then use calibre to transfer my books to my K3. It is very easy to use, and there is a whole section of MobileRead dedicated to calibre so there are lots of people to help you if you run into problems. I also like that the Kindle has an email address, and I can email files to it.

If you are used to the Nook integrated wireless bookstore experience, then Kindle might be a better option. The 5" and 6" Sony readers don't have wireless requiring books to be sideloaded via USB cable. The 7" Sony PRS-950 has both Wi-fi and 3G.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
There were problems with Calibre converting epub to mobi, but now they are fixed with that ignore margins setting.

Indeed, I usually get epub versions of books and convert to mobi, as most places offer poorly formatted mobi versions. (Even amazon, sadly, I often have to convert to epub, edit with sigil, then convert back...)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If your library is exclusively ePub, and you want a device with a Pearl screen, it would make a lot more sense to get a Sony Reader rather than a Kindle. Yes, you can convert your books, but unless you have a particular urge to buy a Kindle, why not get a device that can read the format that you actually have? Both the Kindle and the Sony are great readers - I'm sure you'd be happy with either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi OP and welcome to mobileread

I've converted many drm-free epubs to mobi with very few issues. Why don't you try converting some of the books you have in Calibre to see how they look. You can view them in Calibre as well to check the formatting.

I'd make a choice after testing it first.

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 01-12-2011 at 03:43 AM.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
Grensgeval
Grensgeval began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
My library was/is in epub and needing a new reader, I found the K3 was the superior choice *except* for its lack of epub support.

Because of that, I did a lot of testing with Calibre and found very few problems with its conversions.

So I was happy to purchase the Kindle and read my converted epubs on it. After only a few days now, I certainly don't regret the choice. It's a beautiful little device and my books don't seem to mind they find themselves in .mobi all of a sudden.

Of course, I've kept all original epubs, just in case.
Grensgeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i find .epub & K3, with freeware calibre & sigil tools to be a great combo.

start with .epub - use sigil to remove any annoying crap - like trailers / adverts for other books, copyright pages, author bios, other books by..., indexes which reference page numbers... long rambling acknowledgments etc etc- to taste.

Then convert to mobi, grab good quality metadata / cover art if needed , and copy to K3 via USB ( all of that with calibre )

the same tools will also fix up TOC if needed - handy for K3 as the left / right button then gives previous / next chapter.

you can also, if obsessive, repair typos in the epub and reconvert - there's no way to do that with a purchased .mobi copy. there's another freeware tool called microspell that will work with sigil.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
I've have my K3 about 6 week and have just downloaded free books from the internet then use calibre to put them on the kindle. to me it very easy and have not found any issues in converting epub to the kindle.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I very rarely notice any formatting issues when I put original ePub but now Mobi books onto my Kindle. A very high percentage of my books are just popular fiction though, very few special formatting instances beyond some italicized words here and there.

When I do see something off and then I go back to look at the original ePub file, I almost always see that the bad formatting is part of the original file.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Thank you all very much for the suggestions; they are very helpful.
I'm going to take a look at the Sony readers and look to download Calibre and play with it and my current library. However, due to the info presented, I believe a K3 may be in my future.
Thanks all.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
If your library is exclusively ePub, and you want a device with a Pearl screen, it would make a lot more sense to get a Sony Reader rather than a Kindle. Yes, you can convert your books, but unless you have a particular urge to buy a Kindle, why not get a device that can read the format that you actually have? Both the Kindle and the Sony are great readers - I'm sure you'd be happy with either.
I agree whole-heartedly with Harry, here. I'm a happy Kindle owner, but if your library is all epub, and you're used to epub... why reinvent the wheel? Get an ereader that will be natively compatible with the ebooks you own.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
but with calibre installed it's So easy to convert -

put all your .epubs into calibre library, plug in your kindle, select send to device...then eject kindle, start reading - calibre will even offer to auto-convert for you - on the fly.

you don't need to know anything about the underlying book formats, really.

kindle is much cheaper than a sony 605 with the same 6 inch screen & has wi-fi & thus web browsing built in.

only get sony if you like touch screen and/or if you like sony's awful pc software interface.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-12-2011 at 10:43 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote