Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-03-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
Griff
Enthusiast
Griff began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70v
Palm Digital Media and PalmGear

PalmGear announced today that it has acquired Palm Digital Media from PalmSource. They also announced that they'll be powering the PalmSource software store.

Some interesting comments already seen on other forums. I personally wonder how this will affect Handango, it can't be good news for them.

Details posted here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Griff, PG Team Leader at PalmGear.com
PG Team Leaders are not paid employees of PalmGear.com. The views expressed may not represent those of PalmGear.com.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 03:27 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Wow... that also includes the sale of Palm Reader Pro to PalmGear, right? Does that mean the end of the Pocket PC version of Palm Reader?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2003, 11:54 AM   #3
Griff
Enthusiast

I don't think it means the end of the PPC version...from what I've read elsewhere it seems it will stay.

It's not clear to me if PalmSource will stop producing Palm Reader Pro or not. They may become the programming house for Palm Gear.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:04 PM   #4
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
PalmGear censorship killing Palm Digital Media?

According to Publishers Weekly, the acquisition of Palm Digital Media by PalmGear has led to the departure of PDM’s founding managers (Jeff Strobel, the founder and director; technical director David Pasco; and Mike Segroves, former director of business development) and spurred concern that the new owner is arbitarily removing or concealing titles that deal with sex or are aimed at gay and lesbian readers.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 05:52 PM   #5
Griff
Enthusiast

This P.W. article piqued my cusiosity and certainly had my dander up for a moment. I have discussed the issue within the PGTL and found out some of what is going on.

PDM is undergoing a category reorg at the moment. Gay and Lesbian titles have been moved to the Relationships and Sexuality category. I have asked them to reconsider that move because I believe the titles actually belong seperate from Relationships and Sexuality in most instances.

In terms of removing titles, I have not seen this. Perhaps they have removed Erotic titles that would normally require proof of age to purchase in a regular store. If you look at the R&S category though, you will find the first title listed is "Sexual Fitness".

As far as people leaving the company, well, I see that as a normal event. As companies are sold and purchased, often times previous management leave or get laid off.

Thank you for pointing out this article. I was quite concerned at first, but now that I know a bit of what's behind recent changes, I feel confident nothing dubious is going on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Griff, PG Team Leader at PalmGear.com
PG Team Leaders are not paid employees of PalmGear.com. The views expressed may not represent those of PalmGear.com.
Advert
Old 10-07-2003, 02:47 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Interesting. Thanks for solving this matter, Griff.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote