Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast
phunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Differences between Amazon vs Square Trade warranty

Am real close to pulling the trigger on a current Kindle Paperwhite. Also in serious consideration is the purchase of an extended warranty, which of course is listed on the Paperwhite product page in two as well as three-year increments.

I am also aware of Square Trade's presence on Amazon, their favorable customer rating and competitive pricing; their 3-year warranty is less expensive than Amazon's 2-year warranty.

What I haven't been able to discover from the Amazon Kindle forums is of any discernible, meaningful differences between the two, sufficient enough to influence a buying decision.

I realize that the Amazon offering must be made at the time of purchase. Is that also true for Square Trade?

What's been your past experience with either?
phunnylinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm in the UK but I think it works the same here. Your first years warrenty is with Amazon. Square Trade only come into play after the first year so what you are actually paying for is additional years warrenty, either year two or three years. Amazon don't provide a warrenty themselves beyond the first year.

And yes I think you have to buy Square Trades warrenty for a specific 'eligible' kindle and it must be within the first 30 days from when the kindle is registered to your account, or when it's shipped to you in the case of an Amazon purchase.

I always buy a three year warrenty I've found them excellent value and I have claimed on them too.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast
phunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the response, Josieb1. Besides the obvious difference in that Square Trade's 3-year is less expensive than Amazon's 2-year I'm most curious about the differences in scope of coverage between them.

Might I ask whose warranties you've purchased for your e-readers in the past, and why?
phunnylinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunnylinguist View Post
Besides the obvious difference in that Square Trade's 3-year is less expensive than Amazon's 2-year I'm most curious about the differences in scope of coverage between them.
It's a good question. But why don't you simply read the text of each of the warranties. That way, you should be able to see the differences at a glance.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunnylinguist View Post
Thanks for the response, Josieb1. Besides the obvious difference in that Square Trade's 3-year is less expensive than Amazon's 2-year I'm most curious about the differences in scope of coverage between them.

Might I ask whose warranties you've purchased for your e-readers in the past, and why?
In the UK we don't have an Amazon Warrenty beyond the statutory 12 months so I can't comment on that. I've always bought the Square Trade warrenties sold on Amazon except for the PW2 when Canopy was the only seller.

I just accept that my Kindle is a small computer and therefore can go wrong, the small price of the warranty is peace of mind money, and I have had cause to claim on them, especially for the KK where I experienced frame cracks after a year, and for the PW1 when my colour blotches got worse at around the 18 month stage.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
choice, kindle, paperwhite, warranty