Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2016 Book Club Vote
Bridge in the Fourth Dimension: Further Adventures of the Hideous Hog by Victor Mollo 4 17.39%
Mislaid by Nell Zink 3 13.04%
Rivers of London (US title: Midnight Riot) by Ben Aaronovitch 9 39.13%
The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh 10 43.48%
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris 6 26.09%
Noises Off by Michael Frayn 2 8.70%
Bellwether by Connie Willis 5 21.74%
The Deadly Dowager by Edwin Greenwood 4 17.39%
Alice, Let's Eat by Calvin Trillin 7 30.43%
Based on a True Story by Norm Macdonald 2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Loved One seems to get more humorous after the first couple of chapters.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The Loved One seems to get more humorous after the first couple of chapters.
Most of the first chapter is a mess. But I'll keep going.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #48
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Next time this category comes around I will be checking the Amazon rankings and Goodreads genre lists. I say that because while I loved Midnight Riot I wouldn't classify it as a "humor" book and apparently not very many people do.

On the other hand, although I haven't read The Loved One, it's not available at my library, at least when I look at the Amazon rankings it is in several humor lists and the genres that users of Goodreads list it as include "humor". Humor is certainly subjective but looking might help us choose something a larger percentage of people will agree is humor, even if it isn't "funny ha-ha" type humor like satire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TLO Genres.PNG
Views:	283
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	152233   Click image for larger version

Name:	TLO Ama.PNG
Views:	289
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	152234   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROL Genres.PNG
Views:	273
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	152235   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROL Ama.PNG
Views:	278
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	152236  
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:25 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just started the third chapter. So far, not even as much as a smile. To be honest, so far, it's not grabbing me at all.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've reached chapter five. Where is the humor? So far this book is a mistake to have been picked. I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it. But I'll give chapter five a go and see if it gets any better.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #51
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Jon -- do us all a favour, please? This is the VOTE thread, and the voting is OVER. Some of us have yet to read the selected book and frankly you're not helping. Save your commentary for the discussion thread where it belongs!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Jon -- do us all a favour, please? This is the VOTE thread, and the voting is OVER. Some of us have yet to read the selected book and frankly you're not helping. Save your commentary for the discussion thread where it belongs!
The only thing I am saying is that this book is not funny so far.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #53
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

THIS IS NOT THE DISCUSSION THREAD, JON.

I heard you the first time. I've asked politely. Now I'm asking with menace. Next time, I'll report to the mods.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #54
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Agreed. I find the Aaronovitch books very funny, and so does my DW. It's possible at least part of that is having read (and watched BBC versions of) so very many English police procedurals over the years.
I read a lot of police procedurals too - American and English (Deborah Crombie, Ian Rankin, Tess Gerritsen -- if these count as procedurals). I finished Aaronovitch, and sorta enjoyed it, but I won't be back, if there is a next book. Oh well -- I had already bought that last March or so (cheaply) -- because I had heard the author's name. Now I know.

PS (okay to discuss books NOT winning the vote?)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

There seem to be many Aaronovitch fans; why not start a new, dedicated thread? You might get more hits than in a defunct poll thread.

But generally speaking, all discussion is good and I'd say it's open season on any of the books that lost.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #56
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I read a lot of police procedurals too - American and English (Deborah Crombie, Ian Rankin, Tess Gerritsen -- if these count as procedurals). I finished Aaronovitch, and sorta enjoyed it, but I won't be back, if there is a next book. Oh well -- I had already bought that last March or so (cheaply) -- because I had heard the author's name. Now I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There seem to be many Aaronovitch fans; why not start a new, dedicated thread? You might get more hits than in a defunct poll thread.

But generally speaking, all discussion is good and I'd say it's open season on any of the books that lost.
Yup, I'm a fan. Unabashedly. But certainly, we can discuss the other books here or in their own threads. I only complained because I didn't want to preclude the book we are supposedly reading this month.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #57
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Just an observation for possible consideration when making future nominations in the humor category. I may be totally off base here, but based on what I did read of Midnight Riot I'm wondering if much of the humor apparent to some was from the book being a parody or satire of a genre of detective novels? If so I would suggest that for such books (parodies or satires) the humor is only apparent to readers with more than passing interest and familiarity with the books being parodied or satirized?
Old 10-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #58
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Well ..... I read almost solely in the detective novel genre. And while I enjoyed "Midnight Riot", I still didn't find it humorous. It's merely paranormal detective fiction, not really satire IMHO.

I mean -- that could be considered parody, but given how many other genres are branching into the paranormal, it didn't seem like parody or satire to me. Just detective+paranormal.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The Loved One is just not funny at all.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #60
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Just an observation for possible consideration when making future nominations in the humor category. I may be totally off base here, but based on what I did read of Midnight Riot I'm wondering if much of the humor apparent to some was from the book being a parody or satire of a genre of detective novels? If so I would suggest that for such books (parodies or satires) the humor is only apparent to readers with more than passing interest and familiarity with the books being parodied or satirized?
For me, the humour is in Peter. His stream of consciousness, his commentary on what he's doing and saying, just have me chuckling away. I suspect some of that is that I read a LOT of British novels, especially Police Procedurals. But I can't really say why I find it funny beyond that. But I know my DW has exactly the same reaction, and she hates anything fantasy or especially urban fantasy by default. His commentary in the opening scenes about his potential future as a Police is a classic and when I re-read it the other day still had me laughing.