Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
crestfalleen
crestfalleen began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
blank page for cover after converting

My boss has me creating epubs from our books here and to do so I put them in InDesign CS4 and export to digital editions (even though it's kind of sloppy). The covers thus have a white border when viewed on a bookshelf or thumbnail. To fix this I add it to Calibre, load a new cover image (the same image that was used in InDesign), and then check the "Remove first Image" and check "Preseve Cover Aspect Ratio." Then I covert it to epub and the white border is taken over for the most part. In some programs it is still there, in others it's totally gone. But the problem I run into is that the "Cover" button/link in my toc now links to a blank page instead of the actual cover. Could anyone tell me how to fix this, what to check, uncheck, etc?
Before I coverted it in Calibre the epub file had all the files in the OEPS folder (besides the container.xml in the META-INF folder and the mimetype file) so it seems possible with the little knowledge I have of html/coding, but after Calibre converts it, it leaves the epub folder with files outside of teh OEPS folder, thus even if i could hand edit it, I don't have a zip program that allows me to put all those files in there together and let the mimetype be first.
I know, a lot of info, but thanks so much for your help guys. All the help I've gotten on here before has been tremendous. Thanks.
crestfalleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you dont want white borders uncheck presever aspect ratio.

Use SIgil to edit the toc.ncx file and change the Cover entry to point to the new cover.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
crestfalleen
crestfalleen began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
When I open the epub in Sigil, it doesn't show any toc, perhaps because the way the file was originally made in InDesign, it's not coded the same way. For whatever reason, with the toc.ncx file not showing up (or just the toc itself) I can't edit it. Is there another way to do it? Maybe where there wouldn't even be that second image when I import/add it to Calibre?
So far when I make an epub I have to go from making it in InDesign CS4, hand coding the toc file because InDesign isn't picking up the chapter names right (though I'm sure with some research I could easily handle fixing that), then putting it into Calibre to recovert it to epub for the cover to look good.
How does everyone else (non-code-savvy people) make their epubs? I know a little code, but just enough to get by. The only reason I'm using InDesign is because we paid all the money for the suite and it says it can do it, but if there is an easier way, by all means. I don't use Sigil that much, just messed with it a little. Found Ecub while browsing, but haven't played with it.
Would it just be easier to dump InDesign and make it all on Sigil? Thanks everyone.
crestfalleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blank page, calibre, epub, indesign, white border