Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Angela1970
Angela1970 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Splashtop

....is the new free app for today - does anyone have it, or do you recommend it for your fire? I'm reading about them logging every key stroke you do and I don't know if I want that..... anyone have any other or better solutions, or is this one safe?
Angela1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Who says it logs key strokes?
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
CyberBiker
CyberBiker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Don't know about the key logger issue, haven't seen anything about it. The app does work, however. It fun to work on your desktop from the minimalistic fire.
CyberBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
I just installed it today, based on the reviews I read. I didn't see any mention of logging keystrokes.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

It seemed like a good idea until I tried it. It changes your computer screen resolution to 640 X480 and doesn't release it when you exit the program. It is extremely difficult to navigate but it does work. It may be quite gimmicky but it does give you limitted but difficult control.
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Everyone is raving about this app as the best app ever. Lots of rave reviews. I downloaded it but haven't set it up on my Pc yet.

Where did you hear about keylogging?
I doubt Amazon soul allow a rogue app.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I read you should not maximuize the window but instead leave it in a small open window instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGolf View Post
It seemed like a good idea until I tried it. It changes your computer screen resolution to 640 X480 and doesn't release it when you exit the program. It is extremely difficult to navigate but it does work. It may be quite gimmicky but it does give you limitted but difficult control.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Angela1970
Angela1970 began at the beginning.

I read that it logs keystrokes in one of the reviews. One reviewer said it was disclosed in the agreement that popsup before u can use the program. I don't know how true it is....its just what i read.
Angela1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
DaveSp
Enthusiast
DaveSp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire
I think the keystroke logging issue was one a couple of years ago that Splashtop had a security hole in it that allowed logging hacks. It's been fixed long since.

Dave
DaveSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It works, but for gaming you really need to be able to lock the window so it doesn't scroll all over the place. The ability to define your own on-screen keyboards would be really helpful. Still, it's kind of amazing that it works as well as it does.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Everyone is raving about this app as the best app ever. Lots of rave reviews. I downloaded it but haven't set it up on my Pc yet.

Where did you hear about keylogging?
I doubt Amazon soul allow a rogue app.
I just don't see why anyone would rave about this app. Maybe my desktop resolution was set to high but the changing of my resolution by the program create a hate / hate relationship from the beginning.

The next issue is if you are multiple profile user. I guess I imagined that this would allow my wife to log in on her profile and me to still use mine. This was a bad assumption. You are immediately disconnected and your other profile is forced into the 640X480 resolution.
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

When I first tried it on the Fire, I was testing it, sitting in front of my computer. I noticed that the resolution on my desktop changed when I was using it, but when I logged off the app on my Fire, the resolution returned to normal.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
If people had any idea what the internet was really like, they probably wouldn't worry about things like logging keystrokes. As if Amazon didn't keep track of every single thing you did either.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
It wants an IP address that I can get from the DOS prommpt and a security code that I believe is optional. Any other information that I need to gather before I go down to my desktop to get the data. Need to pry my mrs away from the desktop with a crow bar in order to get the data.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
grvthang
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
If people had any idea what the internet was really like, they probably wouldn't worry about things like logging keystrokes. As if Amazon didn't keep track of every single thing you did either.
great point! what - you really thought the Silk browser does its processing 'in the cloud' to speed up your web browsing?