Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #1051
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Drop-down reasons is something I'll consider (especially if I can find an example to borrow from).

Rejection by criteria (author, story length, etc) isn't. All of that is presumably available to you when you are choosing stories.
It took me a while to reply because I was trying to figure out the difference between the the drop-down and the criteria. Mostly because I do use criteria to determine whether I want to download a story, but it is on a case by case basis. For example, while I have a policy of only reading stories that average about 1000 words per chapter, I have made exceptions if the summary was interesting or I like the author. I wouldn't want it to reject all stories just because they didn't meet a certain length.

Instead I'd like to be able to use a drop-down method where I could input the different reasons I might have for rejecting a story, creating my own list of rejected reasons. Then when I did decide to reject a story I could select from that list. The closest thing I can think of as an example is the custom columns calibre lets us create, like the 'text with fixed set of permitted values'.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #1052
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
@Jade Aislin - The second part of that post wasn't directed to you, but Niedzielan's suggestion. I should have done:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedzielan View Post
One suggestion:
I'd like to be able to set certain metadata to be rejected, such as author, rating, status, genre, etc. If possible, also being able to reject books with a range in numerical metadata (e.g. rejecting fics with <10,000 words
Rejection by criteria (author, story length, etc) isn't. All of that is presumably available to you when you are choosing stories.
I apologize for the confusion.

I'm still going to think about a way to do reject reasons like you say, but I got side tracked by a different issue.
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #1053
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
@Jade Aislin - The second part of that post wasn't directed to you, but Niedzielan's suggestion.

I apologize for the confusion.

I'm still going to think about a way to do reject reasons like you say, but I got side tracked by a different issue.
That's fine. Hopefully, you can get the drop down list to work.

I had another idea about the rejection feature. I noticed that it does not have a way to manually add urls. Sometimes when I search for stories, there might be one I decided not to get. Later I might accidently grab that url when I'm getting new stories. I way to manually add urls that I've decided not to download would help prevent me from downloading those stories at all.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #1054
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Aislin View Post
That's fine. Hopefully, you can get the drop down list to work.
Give this version a try. It has, I think, a pretty decent version of a customizable reject reasons list.

I could also use input on what to put on the default reject reasons list.

Quote:
I had another idea about the rejection feature. I noticed that it does not have a way to manually add urls. ...
That's on my list. I'm not sure where to put it, though.

This version will also allow you to Get URLs and Reject URLs from epubs on devices, not just in your library.

UPDATE Nov 20: Newer test or release version available.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-20-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 11-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #1055
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

And here's the version that lets you add to the reject list as text.

Let me know what you think.

UPDATE Nov 20, newer test or released version exists now.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-20-2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #1056
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu
Give this version a try. It has, I think, a pretty decent version of a customizable reject reasons list.

I could also use input on what to put on the default reject reasons list.
This did work fairly well. I was able to create a list of the reasons I usually give for rejecting and used the drop down list to choose one. I liked that it added to the reason to the end of the note which had the title and author in it. I did have to do each url seperately, but once I have gone through all the fics I already have, I doubt I have very many bulk rejections.

Quote:
And here's the version that lets you add to the reject list as text.

Let me know what you think.
I tried this out. It did add the url I wanted to the rejection list, but it had to be specific for it to actually reject the url.

For the url: http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/...hattered-Glass

I tried these iterations (I was unsure whether it needed to be between ''):
http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/...hattered-Glass, test 1

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/,test 2

'http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/TF-Prime-Shattered-Glass,test 3'

'http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/TF-Prime-Shattered-Glass,test 4'

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/...red-Glass,test 5

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/,test 6

'http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/TF-Prime-Shattered-Glass,test 7'

'http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/,test 8'

The only one that worked was test 6. Unfortunately, my URLs are probably going to be like test 1. So it seems to work, but is looking for very specific criteria when it checks for rejection urls.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #1057
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
This did work fairly well. I was able to create a list of the reasons I usually give for rejecting and used the drop down list to choose one. I liked that it added to the reason to the end of the note which had the title and author in it. I did have to do each url seperately, but once I have gone through all the fics I already have, I doubt I have very many bulk rejections.
Exactly. This is designed for ease of adding small numbers at a time. The text add reject feature coupled with the get story URLs feature is probably where I'd steer people looking to add lots at once.
Quote:
I tried this out. It did add the url I wanted to the rejection list, but it had to be specific for it to actually reject the url.

For the url: http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/...hattered-Glass

I tried these iterations (I was unsure whether it needed to be between ''):
http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/...hattered-Glass, test 1
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/,test 6
'http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8616602/1/,test 8'

The only one that worked was test 6. Unfortunately, my URLs are probably going to be like test 1. So it seems to work, but is looking for very specific criteria when it checks for rejection urls.
Apparently as a coder, my intuitive assumptions about quotation marks are different. The quotes are not meant to be entered. I'll remove them from the label and tooltip and make it bold instead.

As for the different URLs, FFDL normalizes story URLs--it pretty much has to in order to use them as identifiers. I thought I could skip the extra complexity and assume that the rare users adding URLs by text would be using the normal forms. Apparently I was wrong.

The attached version will normalize the story URLs entered as text. It will also normalize existing URLs if you open and OK the edit reject list dialog. (But not those with quotes in--that's too obscure a case to add special code for.)

If the same (normalized) URL appears more than once, only one will be preserved.

UPDATE Nov 26, newer test or released version exists now.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-26-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 11-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #1058
crackshot91
Enthusiast
crackshot91 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3G
Hey, Jimm! I think fimfiction changed the way its cover art works... Maybe the format of the cover's url has changed? Any new story I download from fimfiction does not include the cover from the site.

For example:

I updated this story today and when it finished, the original cover was gone and replaced with the first page of the story.

Thanks for your time.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #1059
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
Just popped in to report the same problem as crackshot91. I ran an update on my local collection to freshen the metadata and nuked all my covers in the process. Hope they'll be back soon, cover art support is one of the spiffier bells and whistles FiMFiction has over other sites.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #1060
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Re: Fimfiction covers--I'll try to find time to look into this today or tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #1061
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

This version should fix the fimfiction cover image issue. Please report if it does or doesn't.

Note that if you want to update the cover on an existing epub, you have to check the 'Update EPUB Cover' as well as using 'Update Always' or 'Update New'.

UPDATE Nov 26, newer test or released version exists now.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-26-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #1062
crackshot91
Enthusiast
crackshot91 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3G
Thanks Jimm! Fimifction covers seem to be working perfectly again.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #1063
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Version 1.7.0 - 26 Nov 2012
  • Set Language to Italian for www.efpfanfic.net.
  • Allow replace_metadata to effect Language metadata.
  • Fix fimfiction.net cover images
  • Default calibre language to English for new stories not otherwise marked
  • New Rejected URL list feature
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #1064
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
Yay, covers are back! Thanks for the quick fix.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #1065
dailyalice
Geek of All Trades
dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis (3rd gen)
I like to have HTML included in summaries in case the summary includes a link to previous stories in a series or other useful pages/info. Generally speaking, I don't expect or want to see images in the summary, but it's no big deal if they are as they're usually things like the default userhead or user community icons from Livejournal or something like that which fits in well with text.

I have usually said it's cool to use the first image found as potential cover art for an epub because often it is cover art or a banner or an illustration that might suit as cover (or part of a cover I generate using the Generate Cover plug-in).

I know there's now a way to exclude specific files from ever being used as covers, though I've had trouble getting it to work, which may just be cluelessness on my part.

An example. On Dramione some stories have a little "red ribbon" award ribbon listed in the summary that really doesn't work as a cover image. (Just as the aforementioned LJ userhead & community icons are also not good cover images, but since lots of stories on AO3 and elsewhere have been copypasted in from LJ, I wind up with them as potential cover images sometimes).

I should be able to list http://dramione.org/images/redribbon.gif as an image to be excluded as a cover image for any/all epubs (or just dramione)? I tried "cover_exclusion_regexp:/images/redribbon.gif" in my personal ini in the epub section, but still wound up with it as a cover image for some stories from dramione. Er. Do I need the full URL? To use escapes or a space at beginning of the line? My head examined?

Example story (the most "favorited" story on dramione):
http://dramione.org/viewstory.php?sid=1

There is banner art associated with the story that would be more suitable as cover art.

Stories without the award ribbon on dramione but with banner art have usually seemed to pick up the banner art correctly as cover art. But the ones with the ribbon I wind up with it as cover art and in the summary.

Related thought: is it or would it be possible (without too much hassle) to say "include HTML in summary, but not images"?

Another thought: what about default list of images to exclude (in general or site specific)?
Closed Thread