Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkettle View Post
Don't you just love it when people dump on you just because you have a legitimate complaint? DO I NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO COMPLAIN? Because this is new technology, are we supposed to accept crap like this? Are we a bunch of F*ING sheep?
2 things:

1) Maybe you should relax a little bit. People are responding to your problem. Why are you being an asshole to them?

2) Maybe you should post this under one of the many threads dealing with customer support, or even start a new thread. Anything, really, than posting your problem under a thread called "Article on the Kobo from the head of Indigo".
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

@juiceless -- I beg to differ. It was the two people who seem to think I don't have a right to complain that were being assholes.
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
juiceless
Enthusiast

Quote:
@juiceless -- I beg to differ. It was the two people who seem to think I don't have a right to complain that were being assholes.
One person told you that Kobo doesn't control the formatting of the books they sell, and the other person told you the same thing. And they're right. At no point did they tell you that you don't have the right to complain - they merely pointed out that you're complaining about the wrong party. Neither of them deserved to be sworn at, or called sheep.

If you have a problem with Kobo, call them up and deal with it. I'm sure they'll happily refund your money if you're not happy with your purchase.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #19
davidkettle
Enthusiast

If you buy any product from any store and there's a problem with it that is immediately obvious, where do you go first, the store where you bought it or the manufacturer? I still maintain that Kobo is the right party. If they want to sell an inferior product and disclaim all responsibility, that's their business. Of course they can't change the eBooks they sell, but they can go back to the publisher and ask for corrections. After all, I'm sure I'm not the only one who purchased this book from Kobo. If that's their attitude, I don't think they'll stay in business very long.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #20
juiceless
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you buy any product from any store and there's a problem with it that is immediately obvious, where do you go first, the store where you bought it or the manufacturer?
As I said, by all means, go to Kobo and request a refund. But you certainly wouldn't go to HMV and ask them to correct the track order on a CD you purchased from them. They (like Kobo) do not control the content of the products they're selling.

Either way, I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by swearing at, and being abusive to, people who are trying to help you. None of the people you are talking to work for Kobo. I'm sure you'll find less people willing to try to help you with a problem in the future if that's how you're going to behave.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
davidkettle
Enthusiast

To continue with your analogy, if a track skipped, didn't play properly, or was missing entirely, I certainly would return it to HMV. Wouldn't you? I didn't say the chapters of the book were out of order (they're not), I said there was content missing (the illustrations that appear in the printed edition).
Old 05-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #22
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
"I purchased a copy of "The Emotion Machine" by Marvin Minsky from the Kobo web site. I had no trouble loading and reading it, but the illustrations are missing! Is this a problem with the software on the reader, or were the illustrations left out of the ePub edition?
I've seen this too. It appears the publishers are still pretty dumb about creating ebook versions of their books (or possibly it's a limitation of the SQLite database used internally on the Kobo for books that are synced; I don't think the ePub format has image limitations). I hope that if revisions of the ebooks are issued, that we'll be entitled to download them for free.

Quote:
The formatting issue that you are asking about is a how the book is sent to us by the publisher. Once the book comes to us we cannot adjust the book by law. We in most cases request a better copy of the book to offer to our customers. Most of the request go unfilled. "
That sounds like a reasonable response from Kobo. If they go modifying the books issued by publishers, they're violating copyright. Kobo doesn't produce the books, they're just a retailer.

Complain to Kobo, they'll probably complain to the publishers. Also complain to the publishers directly.
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #23
juiceless
Enthusiast

Quote:
To continue with your analogy, if a track skipped, didn't play properly, or was missing entirely, I certainly would return it to HMV. Wouldn't you? I didn't say the chapters of the book were out of order (they're not), I said there was content missing (the illustrations that appear in the printed edition).
I suggested that you approach Kobo for a refund if you're not happy with your purchase. What is wrong with you, anyway?

Last edited by juiceless; 05-27-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #24
davidkettle
Enthusiast

@useless -- There's nothing wrong with me.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #25
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
Now everyone let's stop poopooing this thread.

Davidkettle, I would just ask Kobo for a refund, and remember to rate the book one star warning people that the diagrams/tables don't work.
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #26
davidkettle
Enthusiast

I've already complained to Kobo. I didn't ask for a refund, I'm hoping the publisher will issue a corrected version eventually and I'll be able to download it. I've also sent an email to the author, letting him know how the publisher has screwed up his book. Thanks for the tip about rating the book on their web site, though. I'll do that. If enough people complain instead of just accepting sloppy work, maybe the publisher will do something about it.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
We do not use this kind of language on MobileRead.

Please refrain from doing so again.

Also, please read our Posting Guidelines. They are there to help anyone who needs them.

Also - all Members figuring in this debate: Relax, take a deep breath and also read our Posting Guidelines.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #28
davidkettle
Enthusiast

Here's an update from Kobo on the issue of the missing illustrations:

"We apologize for the frustration you must be feeling. To answer your questions: there isn't a problem with the Kobo Desktop software, it just isn't configured to transfer the images at this time (we are releasing an update within the next month to correct this issue)."

So complaining to Kobo was worthwhile after all. Hopefully the fix will appear shortly.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #29
juiceless
Enthusiast

Quote:

So complaining to Kobo was worthwhile after all. Hopefully the fix will appear shortly.
Glad things worked out for you.