Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The worse the contrast, the harder it is to read in lower light conditions. If his reading place isn't particularly bright, he would probably be better off with the M92 than the 912, but neither may be good enough.

Last edited by rkomar; 01-22-2013 at 09:57 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
skio
skio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle app for PC,Nook app for PC,Kobo app for PC ready to be installe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrrho View Post
Thanks for the info!

Two other questions:

1) is one of them significantly easier to use than the other one (more stable / intuitive, or can be made so through appropriate initial setup).
Hi ,just an opinion.I'm living in Italy,recently i quite do not read as I write.
So I need the basic devices for testing the digital formating I'm learning.

Second me your friend simply needs to start with the free apps for PC of the main retailers - Kindle and Nook.Both very easy to use ,screen size that one of the PC available ,no need of internet conection for the free stuff.
So since today the free stuff is too-too much ,just for mention one realistic scenario- the recluse is in town,he has internet acces, he's armed of a pendrive ,a miserable one of 1GB ha-ha,he visits Smashwords site and with no problem ,even no sign- in needed he downloads a ton of free books in both formats mobi and nook + the PDF version and even ePub format ,when home he decides what wants where to read.
Like this he will have the perfect possibility to build his criteria about every aspect of this kind of reading at NO cost + total satisfaction.

How to organize for the books to be purchased is another question ,yes,but not so dramatic.

Best Regards
skio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skio View Post
Second me your friend simply needs to start with the free apps for PC of the main retailers - Kindle and Nook.Both very easy to use ,screen size that one of the PC available ,no need of internet conection for the free stuff.
I believe this person doesn't have a PC; he has a solar charger that will recharge a USB-charging device. His friend will bring him new books occasionally on a memory card; the ebook reader won't have access to the internet at all.

So he needs something that's relatively easy to use, is reliable (doesn't glitch out enough to need to call tech support), and allows leisure reading with very little battery use, because many solar chargers are fairly low-powered.

Quote:
he visits Smashwords site and with no problem ,even no sign- in needed he downloads a ton of free books in both formats mobi and nook + the PDF version and even ePub format ,when home he decides what wants where to read.
"Nook" is not a format. Nooks read epub format.

And in this case, he wants a fairly specific type of ebook, which Smashwords doesn't have much of, and mostly not for free. Religious and philosophy nonfiction are harder to find. Fortunately, there's a lot of them in the public domain; he just needs someone to help him figure out the best place to get them from, and what formats are available.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
skio
skio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle app for PC,Nook app for PC,Kobo app for PC ready to be installe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post

"Nook" is not a format. Nooks read epub format.
Hey ,a great error this one,sounds just like a joke to me as well.
It's obvious I oper too poor english -what I meant was the format to be read on Nook ...as the word "Nookbook" is used(hm,it's just the Nook i'm using those days for testing my book "ePub-ed" with Sigil,I'm feeling too nooked seems and tend to overstimate the device?)
skio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
Myrrho
Myrrho began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I believe this person doesn't have a PC; he has a solar charger that will recharge a USB-charging device. His friend will bring him new books occasionally on a memory card; the ebook reader won't have access to the internet at all.

So he needs something that's relatively easy to use, is reliable (doesn't glitch out enough to need to call tech support), and allows leisure reading with very little battery use, because many solar chargers are fairly low-powered.

And in this case, he wants a fairly specific type of ebook, which Smashwords doesn't have much of, and mostly not for free. Religious and philosophy nonfiction are harder to find. Fortunately, there's a lot of them in the public domain; he just needs someone to help him figure out the best place to get them from, and what formats are available.

Yes, that exactly sums up the situation, thank you Elfwreck.

I am currently waiting for him to answer and tell me whether his solar panel outputs at least 1000 mA, which seems to be required for the Pocketbook 912 (but, as mentioned, communicating back and forth with him takes time).
Myrrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #21
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You said he goes to town at least once a month. Wouldn't it be possible to buy a wall charger, and then leave the reader at a local shop or a friend for a few hours while he does what he needs to do in town? If you get a wall charger that outputs about 2A, then the reader will charge quite quickly, assuming it has no built in limits with regard to that.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
Myrrho

I received his answer, he believes he has enough power from his solar panels to recharge the battery at his place. Now to give him info about the two models and to wait for his choice, then to order the reader, set it up, and send it there.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
Myrrho

Another question: does either of those (Boox M92, Pocketbook Pro 912) allow to locally store websites, so that they are accessible offline, while conserving their page hierarchy?

Example: something similar to http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM where there is an index page with one-depth links to other pages (in this specific case the information is available in other ways, but there are other similar sites he would like to have a copy of).

Thank you again
Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why should you let him choose? It sounds as if this person does not have any technical knowledge. I think it'd be better if you choose, as you seem to be the one to support the device. As he only taps a book and reads, there won't be much difference for him.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #25
Myrrho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Why should you let him choose? It sounds as if this person does not have any technical knowledge. I think it'd be better if you choose, as you seem to be the one to support the device. As he only taps a book and reads, there won't be much difference for him.
Thought about it and you are right, thank you. I'll show the documentation I gathered to one or two other persons who are involved in getting that item and who might have valuable input, then we'll just send him the chosen reader. My personal pick is the Pocketbook Pro 912, for the simplicity of the interface and the price.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thought about it and you are right, thank you. I'll show the documentation I gathered to one or two other persons who are involved in getting that item and who might have valuable input, then we'll just send him the chosen reader. My personal pick is the Pocketbook Pro 912, for the simplicity of the interface and the price.
In the Netherlands, those readers are less than €10 apart.

The M92 does have a Pearl screen, while the 912 has Vizplex. The Pearl one should be a bit brighter. The M92 seems to come in a button version, and a button+stylus version. The 912 has buttons and a capacative touch screen, which I'd prefer. If this person is older, he may loose the stylus, making his reader partly unusable, or at least less usable. And of course, there's the cost of a new stylus.

Personally, I like the black readers best: the screen seems to stand out more brightly (same as with pictures, that often look better on dark backgrounds).

Good luck choosing

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-10-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Another question: does either of those (Boox M92, Pocketbook Pro 912) allow to locally store websites, so that they are accessible offline, while conserving their page hierarchy?

Example: something similar to http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM where there is an index page with one-depth links to other pages (in this specific case the information is available in other ways, but there are other similar sites he would like to have a copy of).

Thank you again
I have a 912 and it does not have the ability to get an entire site. For that I use Httrack on my PC.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:

He was shown a Kindle DX, and he likes it a lot, but unfortunately that's not an option since he can't connect to the internet and needs to read epub files.

I'd be very thankful if someone has input about this. The extend of my experience is using a Sony PRS-T2, and I know near to nothing about the large screen models, which I didn't see in stores around here.

Kindle DX can read epub files as well as djvu and cbz without problems.

All it takes is a few minutes to install kindlepdfviewer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190641

As for book transfer, he should use some laptop/netbook and if there is no SD card port on laptop he should use some cheap 1 $ usb-SD adapter.

Last edited by markom; 02-13-2013 at 11:08 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #29
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Kindle DX can read epub files as well as djvu and cbz without problems.

All it takes is a few minutes to install kindlepdfviewer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190641

As for book transfer, he should use some laptop/netbook and if there is no SD card port on laptop he should use some cheap 1 $ usb-SD adapter.

The man in question doesn't have a laptop; he lives in a rwmote location with only a solar power cell.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #30
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Myrrho, I don't have any experience with Boox products, but I bought a 7" Pocketbook reader several years ago and it still works (my sister uses it now), so I would say their products are long lasting and well made. I'd definitely recommend it. Best of luck with whatever you choose!
citac is offline   Reply With Quote