Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It should be the same as any other Mobi ID - 10 alphanumeric I suspect.
Neither pid at Kindle nor pid at iPhone have 10 characters.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #17
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It works fine with Mobi/PRC files from elsewhere. I have one open in it right now.

What I don't like is that it re-associated the .mobi and .prc extensions without asking. I mean I can fix it, but....
I hate it too and I've already fixed it.
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Pretty craptastic - even for an Alpha. For one thing I want to choose WHERE to install my software. I purposely segregate my data and user programs from the OS partition C:, this thing installed blindly.

<sigh> Anything to beat the Nook out the door I guess.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
It works fine with Mobi/PRC files from elsewhere. I have one open in it right now.
Okay, thanks. I found it. It associates all your mobi files with the Kindle software, but it doesn't import them directly. You have to open them all individually to see them in there.

Last edited by bhartman36; 11-10-2009 at 09:34 AM.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post

Huh? How you figure. All three mobi pids I have for my various readers are 10 characters.

I think you may be confusing the mobi pid with something else like a serial number.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I just checked.......mine does.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #22
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:

What I don't like is that it re-associated the .mobi and .prc extensions without asking. I mean I can fix it, but....
So, how does it handle the DRM - since the PID in anything I bought elsewhere won't match the Amazon app?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Pretty craptastic - even for an Alpha. For one thing I want to choose WHERE to install my software. I purposely segregate my data and user programs from the OS partition C:, this thing installed blindly.
I totally agree.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #24
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Huh? How you figure. All three mobi pids I have for my various readers are 10 characters.

I think you may be confusing the mobi pid with something else like a serial number.
Not really. In iPhone (or kindle) you have to convert a serial number to Mobi PID. I don't hope they do different here.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Okay, thanks. I found it. It associates all your mobi files with the Kindle software, but it doesn't import them directly. You have to open them all individually to see them in there.
You can also copy them to the Documents-->My Kindle Content folder and they'll show up when you open the program.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
So, how does it handle the DRM - since the PID in anything I bought elsewhere won't match the Amazon app?
It doesn't as far as I know and I doubt it ever will. I meant it works fine with regular non-DRM Mobi/PRC from sources like Gutenberg and MR and stuff which is what the other poster had mentioned.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-10-2009 at 10:06 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just tried to liberate an eBook that has DRM using the PID for the iPod Touch registered to the account and it did not work. So I'm hoping that someone will figure out how to get the PID.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-10-2009 at 10:22 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #28
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
You can also copy them to the Documents-->My Kindle Content folder and they'll show up when you open the program.
Thanks! I have to admit, it doesn't appear to be quite as craptastic as I originally thought now. Still needs work, but not as much as I thought.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #29
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
All AZW (MOBI) PIDs have 10 characters, which are actually 8 active plus two as a checksum. The device specific serial numbers which are used to generate the PID are not 10 characters though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #30
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just tried to liberate an eBook that has DRM using the PID for the iPod Touch registered to the account and it did not work. So I'm hoping that someone will figure out how to get the PID.
Did you try the MobiPocket PID for the same PC? Given Amazon's track record, I would not be surprised if it is the same, or perhaps with just the 8-th character replaced (which changes the 9th and 10th character checksum as well).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote