Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you circumvent geographical restrictions SOLELY to save money?
Yes 131 67.18%
No 53 27.18%
Other (explain in thread, please) 11 5.64%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #166
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
That's the point of the article. A 2k to 5k PER YEAR advances don't do a thing to solve the problem. The one author has years where he makes 70k and years where he makes 7k. And this is after YEARS of publishing traditionally. In the early years he was probably making 2k or nothing.

I'm reading a blog of an author right now who is waiting to see if his current book will be accepted. He has contracts and all the usual bells and whistles, but there's still an acceptance process. The thing has been sitting with his publisher for a couple of months already. He might find out if it's accepted and a pub date in another 6 months. Meanwhile, he has that day job, does some self-publishing, etc. This is not a career for the feint of heart.
To be blunt: for many it is not a career, just a dream.

A dream that often dies of corporate "nurturing".
Small wonder that many newcomers aren't bothering to submit to the ancien regime anymore.

(Georestrictions, mandatory DRM, wars with retailers... The corporate types sure know how to help their... vic... authors...)

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-13-2013 at 11:54 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #167
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
There's no morality involved, except that publishers would like to delude themselves into thinking they are "licensing" a book to me.

I could see that, if "licensing" the book was a fraction of purchasing, but it's not, and I find it morally reprehensible that they attempt to steal from their customers.

All this regional restriction crap is just another facet of their unbridled avarice.

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #168
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
There's no morality involved, except that publishers would like to delude themselves into thinking they are "licensing" a book to me.

I could see that, if "licensing" the book was a fraction of purchasing, but it's not, and I find it morally reprehensible that they attempt to steal from their customers.

All this regional restriction crap is just another facet of their unbridled avarice.

Art
The publisher of course would like to have world rights for the same price. It is the authors that are selling to different publishers in different regions. Put the blame were it belong!

Or did you mean that publishers should be required to pay more than they want and more then they can get back just to get world rights they do not want?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #169
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The publisher of course would like to have world rights for the same price. It is the authors that are selling to different publishers in different regions. Put the blame were it belong!

Or did you mean that publishers should be required to pay more than they want and more then they can get back just to get world rights they do not want?
Here is one article among many that says you are wrong.
http://bookbee.net/book-industry-sou...-rort-at-will/
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #170
Redzircon
Redzircon began at the beginning.

Device: Koko Aurea HD
Wherever I see much higher prices for the same downloadable items, I have to ask why?

A recent parliamentary enquiry essentially said we were being gouged. Perhaps the booksellers are different to software sellers.
Redzircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #171
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Here is one article among many that says you are wrong.
http://bookbee.net/book-industry-sou...-rort-at-will/
Well, and all other articles I have read say I am right.

How to you parallell import an ebook when you are not allowed to re-sell it? And how can an Australian company (Amazon Australia) buy the book in another geographical region if the book is restricted.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #172
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
They are. They're not selling you the copyright. They're not selling you a physical object - so what else are they doing?

Quote:
Stealing is taking something you don't own without permission. They're not doing that. They may be charging more than you feel is reasonable, that's fine don't pay.

Quote:
I'm not sure avarice applies to companies. As someone else said it's not a moral thing it's business. In a capitalist society we want companies to make as much money as possible. I certainly want the company I work for to do well. I really want the companies my pension fund invests in to do well. If I discovered that they had an opportunity to make more money - legally - but chose not to because they didn't want to be "greedy" I'd be disappointed about that.

Which is not to say that I'm in favour of what the publishers are doing necessarily but it's like blaming a fish for swimming. Trying to make money is what they do.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #173
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I got an email from Kobo telling me they missed me please come back! Strange I thought I've purchased lots from you recently then I realised I had purchased those from Kobo US and Kobo UK the email was from Kobo Australia. Do I feel morally bankrupt? not one itty bitty bit. Just my 2c which you can have due to all the money I've saved by shopping globally
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #174
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There seems to be no agency pricing in the Kobo US store anymore. So many terrific books by Canadian authors are not available as ebooks in the US. Eventually some of them seem to get there. In the meantime, having big pricing differences harms the Canadian community of authors, editors, publishers, etc. Nothing magic happened in the Canadian store as a result of the US lawsuit.

I very much want to read Joseph Boyden's new book, The Orenda. It is $16.99 CAD and not available as an ebook in the US. My choice is to borrow it from the library rather than purchase it. Why would I spend that much money on an ebook when I can get 50% off until the end of the month on pretty much any book the US store sells?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #175
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
This is not a career for the feint of heart.
Lucky for us that some still chose it. I imagine with a daytime job, new installments in a series would come out much more slowly.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #176
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There seems to be no agency pricing in the Kobo US store anymore. So many terrific books by Canadian authors are not available as ebooks in the US. Eventually some of them seem to get there. In the meantime, having big pricing differences harms the Canadian community of authors, editors, publishers, etc. Nothing magic happened in the Canadian store as a result of the US lawsuit.

I very much want to read Joseph Boyden's new book, The Orenda. It is $16.99 CAD and not available as an ebook in the US. My choice is to borrow it from the library rather than purchase it. Why would I spend that much money on an ebook when I can get 50% off until the end of the month on pretty much any book the US store sells?
Is that because of a coupon or because the price is that much different? And if it's a coupon, is it any book they sell or how does it work? If you don't mind me asking...that could be a lot of info to supply!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #177
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I'm not sure avarice applies to companies. As someone else said it's not a moral thing it's business. In a capitalist society we want companies to make as much money as possible. I certainly want the company I work for to do well. I really want the companies my pension fund invests in to do well. If I discovered that they had an opportunity to make more money - legally - but chose not to because they didn't want to be "greedy" I'd be disappointed about that.
I don't agree. I think we want companies to be reasonable about their profits. Case in point was South Africa. Many companies decided (under pressure, true) to forgo profits from investing in South Africa in the interest of ending apartheid. Those who refused generally met with public disapproval and, in some cases, boycotts. Stockholders might not care if companies are ethical or not in pursuit of profits but I think the public as a whole does.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #178
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just had this dilemma for the current Book Club book. It's Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses. In both the US and the UK it's published by Random House.

At Kobo UK it's £6.49 and the 50% off coupon won't work.
At Kobo US it's $11.99 but the 50% coupon does work. Add in (say) Colorado taxes, and it's $6.45 net, which works out to £4.20.

So, what should I do?
The author is the same, the retailer is the same, the publisher is the same.
The author is a British Indian living in the US. The retailer is Canadian. The publisher is global.
But I save £2.29 if I buy at the US store. In other words, buying from the UK store would be just over 50% more expensive.

Does anyone really think the author, retailer or publisher would think that it was just as wrong for me to pirate the ebook?

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-14-2013 at 01:03 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #179
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've just had this dilemma for the current Book Club book. It's Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses. In both the US and the UK it's published by Random House.

At Kobo UK it's £6.49 and the 50% off coupon won't work.
At Kobo US it's $11.99 but the 50% coupon does work. Add in (say) Colorado taxes, and it's $6.45 net, which works out to £4.20.

So, what should I do?
Kobo US.

What does it matter? If I can get stuff cheaper at Amazon.de I buy there. If it's cheaper at Amazon.co.uk, I get it there. If I want an e-book, I look into the various stores and get it at the cheapest one. (And Amazon must be WAY cheaper than the cheapest EPUB store, as I don't want AZW3 or MOBI books as a source format if I can help it.)

In this case, Kobo UK and US are just competing; no matter it's the same company in the end. Why should you feel obliged to pay more?

Quote:
The author is the same, the retailer is the same, the publisher is the same.
But I save £2.29 if I buy at the US store. In other words, buying from the UK store would be just over 50% more expensive.

Does anyone really think the author, retailer or publisher would think that it was just as wrong for me to pirate the ebook?
I don't know, but if you can legally get the same product at two different places, one being cheaper than the other, then you would be stupid to pay more, EXCEPT if something else may skew the equation (service, warranty terms, delivery costs...); but those points are mostly moot voor e-books.

Get it at Kobo US. I would.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #180
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quite frankly I feel that anybody who thinks there's any moral downside to this is stuck in a pre-internet, pre-globalisation world and needs to at least dip their toes in the current millennium asap.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote