Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #16
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I think I will hold out for a while, after looking around. The price is just too high right now. Just have to go back using that primitive paper stuff in class.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Hello, reprep, I am seriously thinking about getting a large screen reader, either Onyx, Hanvon or Kindle. Before I read your post I was considering between Onyx and Hanvon because they have free-hand writing and Kindle doesn't. You mentioned "kindle might be a much better choice". Could you elaborate on this? Also, does Kindle DX have the same PDF support as K3 (note-taking, highlighting, export of notes...)?
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
I need the same PDF ability and have pretty much narrowed it down to DX, Pocketbook Pro 902/903, or Acer Iconia a500 tablet. I'm currently reading on an old Fujitsu ST5112 tablet PC but the display is a little old and a little fuzzy in full screen mode, but for now it works and will display any other ebook format with a compatible PC application to read it. Next year the Windows tablet PCs might be worth their money so you may want to find a good used tablet like the St5112, or pick up something like the Iconia a500. Current retail on the a500 is less than current retail on the DX, similar to the Pocketbook 902, you can find decent used ST5112 for $180 to $300 in the USA on ebay.

All that said, the letters are still kind of small on the first version DX so I assume they will be a bit smaller on all other 9.7 to 10 inch displays. If the letters are clear this isn't such a problem. The end all last alternative is the iRiver Storey HD, the resolution on this display is high so the letters are drawn well, but it is a 6 inch display! This means really small letters but the tests that one of the members did for me show that you can read it if you can see the letters.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
Hello, reprep, I am seriously thinking about getting a large screen reader, either Onyx, Hanvon or Kindle. Before I read your post I was considering between Onyx and Hanvon because they have free-hand writing and Kindle doesn't. You mentioned "kindle might be a much better choice". Could you elaborate on this? Also, does Kindle DX have the same PDF support as K3 (note-taking, highlighting, export of notes...)?
I have never used an Onyx or Hanvon. But i frequently read the posts in the relevant forums and nearly every user complains about software and hardware problems. I got the impression that the software is not mature yet. And there are some hardware problems as well. You can go to the relevant forums for more information. My kindle DXG with 3.2.1 software is rock solid and i really think this is much useful than touch screen for daily usage. Also i really doubt free-hand writing can be efficient with an e-ink screen which is infamous for the slow refresh rates.

I have been using my kindle DXG for about 5 months. Before that i was using a kindle keyboard 3. Because of PDF difficulties and the idea of a much larger pearl screen i sold it to a friend and got dxg instead.

Kindle DXG has 2.5.8 firmware. Kindle 3 has 3.3 now. So its firmware is much more primitive than kindle 3. But there is a way to install the 3.1 or 3.2.1 firmware to kindle DXG (which i recommend to every kindle DXG user out there) to overcome these difficulties. check this for more info. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127969

If you don't upgrade your kindle DXG to 3.x firmwares, these are the things you will be missing.

a) much more simplier pdf reading. No annotations, no adjustable dark levels. No dictionary usage on pdf.

b) worse experimental browser

c) no support for non-Latin characters. I wasn't able to read turkish books in .mobi format with 2.5.8 firmware but kindle 3.x firmwares support non-latin characters natively so this wasn't an issue on 3.2.1.

d) i got the impression that 3.x firmwares make the kindle DXG faster (opening books, going through the menus etc) though i can't say it for sure.

so if you do the firmware upgrade you will have all the capabilities of a kindle 3 including the pdf reader abilites you asked. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Last edited by reprep; 11-02-2011 at 10:22 AM.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
reprep and Greg_E: Thank you so much! This really helped me a lot. Maybe I should do the same to exchange my current K3 with a DX.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
[QUOTE=ProfCrash;1813385]If it is a Kindle DXG, then yes, it works the same way as the K3 except that there is no wifi on it. If you don't have 3G then you will have to use the cord. Mine came with the USB cord.

I would say that the DXG works more like an K2 generation device BUT with a current generation E-Ink screen.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I was referencing the transfer of documents so it works like the K1 and K2 because of the 3G but lack of WiFi
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #23
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I have a DXG that I used lovingly for 14 months - then I saw a K3 with the sans serif font and love the way it makes print seem to pop on the screen.

I don't suppose there's a simple way for an aging non-tech type to get the DXG to have a sans serif font option, is there?

I haven't used my poor DXG since the day I got my K3 almost a month ago - it's just so much easier to read with this darker font.

Last edited by Clawdia; 11-02-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Change wording
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #24
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I love my DXG for reading books, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to read PDF's that are scanned A4 documents. It's just a bit too small. Still beats a 6" reader for that though.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #25
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post
I have a DXG that I used lovingly for 14 months - then I saw a K3 with the sans serif font and love the way it makes print seem to pop on the screen.

I don't suppose there's a simple way for an aging non-tech type to get the DXG to have a sans serif font option, is there?

I haven't used my poor DXG since the day I got my K3 almost a month ago - it's just so much easier to read with this darker font.
The short answer is 'NO'.

I have a K3 and DXG and personally find the sans serif to be too bold on the K3, except in very low room lighting conditions.

With my DXG I find it useful to increase the font size (Aa button/menu) if I am reading it in low light conditions. Even with one larger font size, you still get more words per page than your K3. Increasing the font size on my DXG really seems to increase the contrast for me.

Maybe just try increasing the font size by one on your DXG and see if this helps.

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #26
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post

Well it is possible but it depends on you if it is simple or not. It was simple for me. Follow the link in my previous post about having 3.x firmwares on kindle DXG. This also allows choosing kindle 3's fonts. The process is very safe as it installs a brick proof kernel first. You can always reinstall the firmware back from usb port if you mess with the firmware files.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #27
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
the DXG is an amazing reader. this fact makes it all the more perplexing and frustrating that amazon have dropped support for it.

i have saved literally 100s of pounds side-loading pdfs on this reader you simply can't read on a 6 inch screen. so many artistic or technical books from internet archives can't be displayed properly in native kindle format, so a good pdf reader is a must for me. i particularly enjoy reading older books in their native typesetting via pdf.

like others have said, if you get a DX make sure to update to the hacked 3.2.1 firmware as it does the very things amazon were too lazy to do - better pdf support and improvements to the standard reader software.

enjoy.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #28
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
the DXG is an amazing reader. this fact makes it all the more perplexing and frustrating that amazon have dropped support for it.

i have saved literally 100s of pounds side-loading pdfs on this reader you simply can't read on a 6 inch screen. so many artistic or technical books from internet archives can't be displayed properly in native kindle format, so a good pdf reader is a must for me. i particularly enjoy reading older books in their native typesetting via pdf.

like others have said, if you get a DX make sure to update to the hacked 3.2.1 firmware as it does the very things amazon were too lazy to do - better pdf support and improvements to the standard reader software.

enjoy.
My guess is that Amazon doesn't find a good market in ebook readers, rather their market is in Amazon content consumption devices. They offer low prices on the K4's because they assume they will lead to increased purchases of content from Amazon.

From Amazon's viewpoint, there is no value to a large format reader that's sole purpose is to sideload pdf's. I suspect any large format device will follow in the Fire's tradition in that it will support Amazon video and app market via an LCD screen.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #29
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I have problems with my vision - cataracts that will need surgery next year, dry eyes, other things - and increasing font size does help, but doesn't make the print as easy to read as the sans serif font does.

To read the DXG anywhere near as comfortably as I can read the K3, I have to up the font to the point where I'm not getting any more words per page on the DXG than I am on the K3 with the darker font, which kind of defeats the purpose of having more real estate available on the screen.

Following all the instructions to put 3rd generation stuff on the DXG doesn't sound simple to me - but as I said, I'm not technologically adept by any means.

I'm thinking I'll keep the DXG for now and see what next year brings after the surgery. If Amazon does discontinue the DXG, as I believe they will, then it'll probably be worth more later than it is now should I decide to sell it.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think we can safely assume that Amazon has stopped supporting the DX and I doubt that it is going to be worth more a year from now then it is now. I don't think that Amazon will update the DX to handle the new format effectivly killing the DX.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote