Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
What am I missing?

After constantly being irritated that some web sites do not work due to lack of flash, this morning I now even have some YouTube videos. WTF? Is YouTube now using flash or is Steve jobs feeling that we are now used to not having flash so it it now time to take away one more thing? Or maybe he bought stock in Android so he is trying to push us to change?
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Several sites, including YouTube, offer an HTML5 alternative for devices that don't support Flash. YouTube has been accessible by iOS devices since the beginning, or close to it, by the stand-alone app. The support has not been, in my experience, comprehensive, and I believe that some videos have a non-Flash version stored that works pretty seamlessly and some do not, but attempt an on-the-fly conversion, which works less well and sometimes fails. Or at least that's been my experience.
The fact that iPod/iPhone/iPad had a functional YouTube app shows that YouTube has had the ability to offer videos in a non-flash format, but it is relatively recently, I think, that they have recoded their site so that you can access those videos without going through the app.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
not quite, I found a couple of videos on youtube that I could not watch no matter what on my ipad....
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
YouTube gives users the option to allow or disallow their videos to be played back on "mobile devices", which unfortunately includes the iPad. Oddly, though not suprising when you consider how glitchy the site is in general, I've noticed that some of these still play in the browser, either on YouTube mobile and/or YouTube desktop, but not in the app. Others won't work in anything.

Last edited by Dylrob; 11-21-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Moonboy242
Moonboy242 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Keep an eye on the Atomic Web Browser app. It has very robust product support and frequent updates. There's a built in ad filter (if you choose to go that route for some sites) and it also has the ability to identify itself to websites as several different mobile and desktop browsers. I was recently able to watch Hulu (desktop version) on my iPad (there's a bit more to it, but it worked).

Given that Mr. Jobs is just plain wrong on his stance with Flash, and given that the competition uses native Flash support as a major selling point, I believe it's only a matter of time before the train hits Apple and we see Flash on itech devices.
Moonboy242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
You were able to watch Hulu on your iPad, but, unless I miss my guess, you were not able to play Flash content on your iPad, but rather streamed the Hulu content from somewhere else.

From following a lot of Mac-focused news, I get the impression that Flash has never worked as well on a Mac as it has on a PC. I think that's part of the reason it wasn't included as an option in iOS. And I really don't hear as much clamoring for Flash as you would think. Most websites want their content accessible on iOS devices and make the necessary changes. The ones that do not seem to be those without the resources to recreate their sites in an non-Flash format, and Hulu, which is turning it's Flash-only website into a way to make more more money by charging iOS users to access Hulu.

You're right in that something is going to have to change. If non-Apple tablets take off, and if Flash support is cited heavily as a reason for choosing a non-Apple tablet, Apple may have to cave. But if that doesn't happen, then Hulu will be in a position of doing what will be seen as punishing iOS users by making them pay a subscription fee while other tablet owners access the web site for free. That's probably not going to go over well, either, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hulu was the one to eventually cave. They seem to make their money from advertising, which means more eyeballs=more money. If Apple continues to be a major player in mobile devices, Hulu is simply going to have to find a way to support the iPad without Flash, just like most other major websites are.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
You were able to watch Hulu on your iPad, but, unless I miss my guess, you were not able to play Flash content on your iPad, but rather streamed the Hulu content from somewhere else.
Actually you can play [at least some] flash content on a jailbroken iPad. There is an unofficial port of the Android flash plug-in, dubbed "Frash".
Old 11-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #8
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

*ignore duplicate post*