Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #25546
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Late start. Strange family issues continue. Time for the first mug and some contemplation.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #25547
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Early envening mug of Dilmah's "Ceylon" tea, while re-stringing my guitar before going out to play music with my friends. I wonder how many miles of guitar strings I've played through over the past 55 years? If each string is about a meter long, maybe a little longer, and I change all 6 averaging roughly once every two weeks (sometimes more, sometimes less,) can somebody who's a math person figure it out?

(I played a 12-string for about 4 years too, along with my 6-strings.)

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 07-09-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #25548
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #25549
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Rooibos Lemon. Nice to get back to an old friend. And it is probably good for me to cut back on caffeine. Not to mention adding back in a ton of antioxadents.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #25550
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Early envening mug of Dilmah's "Ceylon" tea, while re-stringing my guitar before going out to play music with my friends. I wonder how many miles of guitar strings I've played through over the past 55 years? If each string is about a meter long, maybe a little longer, and I change all 6 averaging roughly once every two weeks (sometimes more, sometimes less,) can somebody who's a math person figure it out?

(I played a 12-string for about 4 years too, along with my 6-strings.)

Stitchawl
Assuming 6 strings replaced every 2 weeks for 55 years you get around 8.6 kilometers. Conversion to miles is left as an exercise for the reader.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #25551
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tea Farmers Green PuErh. Second steeping.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #25552
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Assuming 6 strings replaced every 2 weeks for 55 years you get around 8.6 kilometers. Conversion to miles is left as an exercise for the reader.
10-Q

Is it OK if I use my iPhone app to do the conversion?

Stitchawl
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #25553
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
10-Q

Is it OK if I use my iPhone app to do the conversion?

Stitchawl

iPhone is acceptable, but only if you use Siri.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #25554
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
So, question for Stitchawl -- I've been wanting to try a new breakfast tea. I want something that doesn't require milk, but does have some authority and a fair amount of brightness. If I could go down to the market and get 100g each of Yorkshire, Ahmad's, and a couple of others, I'd just do it, but the only way I'm going to get any of the one's you've mentioned will require ordering from Amazon. And THAT means a somewhat larger quantity than I really want to go for sight unseen, especially if I'm trying multiple.

So, the question: given one choice of a commercially available breakfast tea, which one would you suggest? I'm willing to search out a source (or fall back on Amazon) for one at a time as I search for an alternate to my standard Anniversary Breakfast Blend from Peet's. Not that I don't like it, but every year is an adventure, and not all adventures are good ones. This year's isn't as much to my taste as last year's, but last year's was not as well received by some. Tastes vary.

Meanwhile, a mug of that Anniversary Breakfast Blend in my mug right now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #25555
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Morning has broken, like the first morning.
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird.
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning,
Praise for them springing fresh from the Word.

Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlight from heaven.
Like the first dewfall, on the first grass.
Praise for the sweetnes of the wet garden,
Sprung in completeness where His feet pass.

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning.
Born of the one light Eden saw play.
Praise with elation, praise every morning;
God's recreation of the new day.

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alCM3tS3QFI )

Good morning, all! I'm sitting here just transfixed at the sight out my window... I moved my computer last night to its permanent location next to the window, so turning my head gives me a 180 degree view over the whole Chiang Mai valley. Clouds are trapped by the mountains to the east and north, but the rest of the valley is bathed in sunlight... All I can think of is Cat Stevens and this song!

This morning I have Ahmad's "English Breakfast" tea to wake me up. I haven't been down to the Food Lady yet, but seeing her is in my very near future. I REALLY need to cut down on the sheer amount of food that I've been eating, but I want to taste everything she has. We've decided that her cooking is simply the very best of the vendor foods. For dinner we've been sampling various vendors all around town and we both agree that she is "THE" chef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
iPhone is acceptable, but only if you use Siri.
I think my wife is jealous of Siri... I wonder if I can change her voice the same way I did for my GPS Navigator? I installed Yoda's voice for that. I keep asking Siri silly questions just to hear her talk I think I'm in love with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
So, question for Stitchawl -- I've been wanting to try a new breakfast tea. I want something that doesn't require milk, but does have some authority and a fair amount of brightness. .....SNIP......So, the question: given one choice of a commercially available breakfast tea, which one would you suggest?
To my palate, there are no better teas than Fortnum&Mason's "Royal Blend," or their "English Breakfast" teas, Or East India Company's "Royal Breakfast" or "English Breakfast" tea. I would be satisfied (almost) to drink only one as 'my' tea. They are very consistent in their blending. Price-wise, East India Company wins the day.

Taylors of Harrogate's "Yorkshire" tea is very good, but just a bit on the bitter side. Ahmad's "English Breakfast" tea doesn't have the smoothness that F&M or EIC have.

I have Ahmad's in my cup right now, but really wish I could be drinking my unbranded Keemun... For a single-leaf tea, that one takes the cake. 'McNulty's Tea & Coffee' in NYC sells a very, very good China Keemun that is not expensive and makes an excellent morning drink, as is their Yunan China Black.

But if I were to be ordering only one, I'd go with East India Company, and most likely their "Royal Breakfast" or "English Breakfast" tea. It's a real toss-up between those two!

Stitchawl
Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #25556
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Laphroaig in my glass .... another soggy humid icky day ... more on the way .... toadstools in the lawn ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #25557
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:

To my palate, there are no better teas than Fortnum&Mason's "Royal Blend," or their "English Breakfast" teas, Or East India Company's "Royal Breakfast" or "English Breakfast" tea. I would be satisfied (almost) to drink only one as 'my' tea. They are very consistent in their blending. Price-wise, East India Company wins the day.

Taylors of Harrogate's "Yorkshire" tea is very good, but just a bit on the bitter side. Ahmad's "English Breakfast" tea doesn't have the smoothness that F&M or EIC have.

I have Ahmad's in my cup right now, but really wish I could be drinking my unbranded Keemun... For a single-leaf tea, that one takes the cake. 'McNulty's Tea & Coffee' in NYC sells a very, very good China Keemun that is not expensive and makes an excellent morning drink, as is their Yunan China Black.

But if I were to be ordering only one, I'd go with East India Company, and most likely their "Royal Breakfast" or "English Breakfast" tea. It's a real toss-up between those two!

Stitchawl
Thanks, Stitchawl. I'll try one of those. Assuming I can find them in an easy to get way.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #25558
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Skim milk
Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #25559
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Thanks, Stitchawl. I'll try one of those. Assuming I can find them in an easy to get way.
I ordered directly from East India Comapny and McNulty's when I was in Japan. I'm sure they will both ship to B.C.

The Food Lady did it once again. No clue as to what the main dish was, but it was delicious. Spicy... really spicy... but tasting incredibly good! A one-egg omlet, a piece of Chiang Mai sausage (Charlie, the next time you make sausage, try to find a good recipe for Chiang Mai sausage. It's gooood!) and rice. For two (although my wife had a different main dish,) and a big bag of cut-up papaya and melon.... $1.50 US for two. I can live with that...

One more cup of tea (Dilmah Ceylon this time) and then I want to explore this old temple that I can see from my window before the afternoon rains start.

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temple50.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	107976  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #25560
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
I think my wife is jealous of Siri... I wonder if I can change her voice the same way I did for my GPS Navigator? I installed Yoda's voice for that. I keep asking Siri silly questions just to hear her talk I think I'm in love with her.

Stitchawl

I think the advertisements for iOS 7 talked about different voices for Siri, but with out jail breaking I do not think you can change her voice currently.

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?