Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
zklcy
zklcy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
[Kindle touch]help, debricking , can't enter diags mode

Follow the "Guide to debricking kindle touch_v3"

In fastboot mode, do:
fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img
fastboot setvar bootmode diags
fastboot reboot

when my kindle reboot, it can't enter the diags menu , still show the big tree picture
zklcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zklcy View Post
when my kindle reboot, it can't enter the diags menu , still show the big tree picture
try mfgtool with "magic key"
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
zklcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
try mfgtool with "magic key"
I try start diags mode by mfgtool after press "magic key" , it's still not work , stop at the big tree picture.

My original factory firmware is 5.1.1. I have known somebody get the same trouble and they do not solve the question.

Somebody knows how to solve this problem help me , thanks !
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Follow the "Guide to debricking kindle touch_v3"

In fastboot mode, do:
fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img
fastboot setvar bootmode diags
fastboot reboot

Where is the diags_kernel in your list above?

It clearly says in many places, including the FIRST sentence of the first post in the simple debricking sticky thread, that you must flash matching kernels and partitions. That INCLUDES the diags kernel. This is especially important when switching between 5.1.x and 5.0.x.

Do it! THEN report back here. Otherwise you are just wasting our time.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 06:08 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
zklcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Where is the diags_kernel in your list above?

It clearly says in many places, including the FIRST sentence of the first post in the simple debricking sticky thread, that you must flash matching kernels and partitions. That INCLUDES the diags kernel. This is especially important when switching between 5.1.x and 5.0.x.

Do it! THEN report back here. Otherwise you are just wasting our time. :eek:
I think the kernel-kt-5.0.0.img.gz is the diags kernel, so I try the commond
"fastboot.exe flash diags_kernel kernel-5.0.0.img" ,it yet not work.

I'm sure flash the right diags kernel and diags paritions follow the guide.
I get the 5.0.0 version file (kernel-kt-5.0.0.img.gz and mmcblk0p2-kt-5.0.0.img) from "http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle/touch/forensic/"

I try many times , still in big tree , not display the diags menu. I doubt it's not work , so I reboot with main mode, then my pc identify the kindle usb disk , with about 5 second , the usb disk is breaked automatically. So I think the 5.0.0 diags kernel is work , but not in the diags paritions or display output is something wrong.

So, I try the 5.1.0 version file, get the same result.
kernel 5.1.0 http://www.mediafire.com/?sc3mvazvlxsage1
mmcblk0p2_ssh-kt-5.1.0.img.gz http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29927061/mmc....0.img.tar.bz2

I doubt new kindle touch with firmware 5.1.1 do some change in hardware or my hardware somewhere is error.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_touch_diags_file_5.0.0.JPG
Views:	647
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	88866   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_touch_diags_file_5.1.0.JPG
Views:	637
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	88867  

Last edited by zklcy; 07-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Image #2 lists a "main_kernel" and "mmcblk0p2" images.
Those do not match, the "main" image is an "mmcblk0p1" file name.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
zklcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Image #2 lists a "main_kernel" and "mmcblk0p2" images.
Those do not match, the "main" image is an "mmcblk0p1" file name.

Thank you for your answer , I want to known if main_kernel and diags_kernel is diffent , and how to identify kernel-kt-5.0.0.img.gz I get is diags kernel?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Thank you for your answer , I want to known if main_kernel and diags_kernel is diffent , and how to identify kernel-kt-5.0.0.img.gz I get is diags kernel?
they are clearly identified on this page: tinyurl.com/kindleimages
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
zklcy

Thanks thomass and geekmaster , I have known what's wrong with me.
I mistake the diags kernel and used flash diags kernel with wrong commond ,it should be
"fastboot.exe flash diags_kernel diags_kernel.img". Now I can enter the diags menu.

Thanks all of you!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
solution appreciated

Quote:
Thanks thomass and geekmaster , I have known what's wrong with me.
I mistake the diags kernel and used flash diags kernel with wrong commond ,it should be
"fastboot.exe flash diags_kernel diags_kernel.img". Now I can enter the diags menu.

Thanks all of you!
Ah good news then.

Thanks for adding your completed solution for the future reader.

Last edited by twobob; 07-08-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: twypos
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
Zephyrus
Zephyrus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I encountered the same problem and has no luck at all.

The machine is a Kindle Touch bought 1 month ago, with no firmware upgrade. And it was brick while moving some books to collection. Keep hitting the tree and reboot itself, no progress bar, nothing.

I can successfully enter the fastboot mode and flash img into the kindle, but failed to enter the diags and keep looping the Tree. it's attempted to boot but soon reboot itself, but never going into diags menu.

This is what I've done in fastboot

1. fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh-kt500.img (I got it from a mirror claiming that it is 5.0.0, too bad gitbrew is dead)
2. fastboot flash diags_kernel kt_5.0.0-diags_kernel.img (this is from the repository)
3. fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img (this is also from the repository)
4. fastboot setvar bootmode diags
5. fastboot reboot

I believe the potential problem might be the version of diags img, then I tried all other available diags img on the internet, regardless of their versions, but none of them is able to bring me into the diags menu.

Any alternative solution for me? Please.
Zephyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
From your description, the problem is one of two things:

* a book format that the indexer can not handle (clear the user storage partition (mmcblk0p4) of all books)

* you have run out of room in the *local* partition (zero mmcblk0p3).

NOTE: (that is a big NOTE) - -
"I tried all other available diags img on the internet ..."
A really, really, big noobie mistake.

Once again:

The Linux kernel (as used in the Kindles) is not a monolithic, self-contained, kernel image.
Some of its services are provided by dynamically loaded "kernel modules" (things like the e-ink display drivers).
"kernel modules" live inside of the file system image.

Translation: You must use "matched pairs" of a file system image (the loadable modules ++ other stuff) and a kernel image.

An alternative solution?
Carefully compare all that you have done with the published directions, accept no differences between your actions and the published directions.

Hmmm....
Here we have a person who has proven themselves unable to follow printed directions ;
and I am wasting my time, writing more printed directions that they probably will not follow.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Zephyrus

Thank you. I know I am desperated.

I started from scratch again. Following all instructions of Simple debricking method, as well as the small debricking guide for noobs.

Since my fastboot is working, I start again by flashing the 3 imgs into the KT.

1. mmcblk0p2_ssk.img from "Small debricking guide for noobs"
2. kt_5.0.0-diags_kernel.img from pastebin
3. kernel-5.0.0.img from pastebin

And after setvar bootmode diags and reboot, it loop on the tree again. No sign of the diags menu.

Thus, no SSH and further steps for me to follow in those guides. If the problem is what suggested, how can I fix it under the current status?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The procedure looks correct, as far as I can see. Try with the ge.tt diags kernel / partition (lines 18 and 20 in the pastebin).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
Zephyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The procedure looks correct, as far as I can see. Try with the ge.tt diags kernel / partition (lines 18 and 20 in the pastebin).
Thank you. Tried but failed.

Actually I suspected another thing.

After I set the bootmode to diags by using "fastboot setvar bootmode diags", I try to check the var I set by "fastboot getvar bootmode" and it remains as main.... but when I try to reboot by "fastboot reboot", the machine response and restarted (the tree screen flashed). Don't know if this is related or is just the same as other machines here.

Thanks.